This version of the OpenTelemetry specification includes a stable release of the Tracing API and Tracing SDK components.
Every document in the specification is now marked as either stable or experimental. Please read the versioning and support document for details.
- Missed #1429 we will do a patch release v1.0.1 asap.
As part of this release we are marking a large part of our specification stable:
- Trace (API/SDK)
SpanLimitsas a configuration for the TracerProvider(#1416)
- Update default limit for span attributes, events, links to 128(#1419)
- Update OT Trace propagator environment variable to match latest name(#1406)
- Remove Metrics SDK specification to avoid confusion, clarify that Metrics API
specification is not recommended for client implementation
- Rename OTEL_TRACE_SAMPLER and OTEL_TRACE_SAMPLER_ARG env variables to OTEL_TRACES_SAMPLER and OTEL_TRACES_SAMPLER_ARG
- Mark some entries in compliance matrix as optional(#1359)
SDKs are free to provide support at their discretion.
- Rename signal-specific variables for
- Versioning and stability guarantees for OpenTelemetry clients(#1291)
- Additional Cassandra semantic attributes
- OTEL_EXPORTER environment variable replaced with OTEL_TRACES_EXPORTER and
OTEL_METRICS_EXPORTER which each accept only a single value, not a list.
process.runtime.descriptionresource convention: Add
- Refine span name guideline for SQL database spans
- Add RPC semantic conventions for metrics
errormapping for Jaeger & Zipkin Exporters
- Resource's service.name MUST have a default value, service.instance.id is not
- Clarified in #1294
- Add requirement that the SDK allow custom generation of Trace IDs and Span IDs
- Add default ratio when TraceIdRatioSampler is specified by environment variable but
no ratio is.
- Require schemed endpoints for OTLP exporters
- Resource SDK: Reverse (suggested) order of Resource.Merge parameters, remove
special case for empty strings
- Resource attributes: lowerecased the allowed values of the
- Trace Exporters: Fix TODOs in Jaeger exporter spec
- Clarify that Jaeger/Zipkin exporters must rely on the default Resource to
get service.name if none was specified.
- Modify OTLP/Zipkin Exporter format variables for 1.0 (allowing further specification post 1.0)
k8s.nodesemantic conventions (#1390)
- Clarify stability for both OTLP/HTTP and signals in OTLP.