Custom Learning for Office 365
Train employees with Custom Learning for Office 365, a digital, customizable learning solution that helps customers transform their organization. Custom Learning for Office 365 provides:
- Comprehensive end user training content: product and scenario-based training, in video and article format
- Easy to install: Deploy from the SharePoint Provisioning Service within minutes and without any coding
- Easily customizable: Hide and show content to align with how you have set up Office 365 in your environment
- Create your own training playlists: Add your own custom training content and playlists to feature your organization-specific scenarios
- Always up-to-date content: As Office 365 changes, the Custom Learning for Office 365 content will be updated. Content updates will be made and communicated to customers on a monthly basis
- You will need to be a tenant administrator to be able to deploy this solution to the target tenant. Note that you can get free developer tenant from Office 365 developer program, if needed
- Automatic end-to-end provisioning only works with English tenants. All solutions and web parts are also English in the current implementation
- A tenant 'App Catalog' must have been created within the 'Apps' option of the SharePoint Admin Center
THIS CODE IS PROVIDED AS IS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, MERCHANTABILITY, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT.
Manually installing and configuring Custom Learning for Office 365
The Microsoft Custom Learning Web Part is build using the SharePoint Framework version 1.7.1. To manually install and configure the web part and site collection you will need to complete the following steps:
- Validate that you have met all the prerequisites.
- Install the customlearning.sppkg file in your Office 365 Tenant App Catalog.
- Provision/Identify a modern communication site to act as your Custom Learning for Office 365 home site.
- Add the Custom Learning for Office 365 app to the site
- Execute a PowerShell script that will configure your tenant with the appropriate artifacts that Custom Learning depends on.
- Navigate to the CustomLearningAdmin.aspx site page to load the admin web part to initialize the custom content configuration.
You must have set up and configured the tenant-wide App Catalog. Please see Set up your Office 365 tenant and follow the Create app catalog site section. If your tenant-wide App Catalog has already been provisioned, you will need access to an account that has rights to upload a package to it to complete this setup process. Generally, this is an account with the SharePoint administrator role. If an account with that role does not work, go to the SharePoint admin center and find the Site Collection Administrators for the app catalog site collection and either log in as one of the Site Collection Administrators, or add the SharePoint administrator account that failed to the Site Collection Administrators. You will also need access to an account that is a SharePoint Tenant Admin.
Install WebPart in Tenant App Catalog
To install the Custom Learning for Office 365 solution you will upload the customlearning.sppkg file to the tenant-wide App Catalog and deploy it. Please see Use the App Catalog to make custom business apps available for your SharePoint Online environment for detailed instructions on how to add an app to the app catalog.
Provision/Identify Modern Communication Site
Either identify an existing, or provision a new, modern communication site in your SharePoint Online tenant. For more information about how to provision a communication site see Create a communication site in SharePoint Online and follow the steps to create a communication site.
You will want to add everyone who should be able to view content to the Visitors group and everyone who should be able to administer custom playlists to the Members group. To configure the site for Custom Learning the first time the user must be either a site collection administrator or part of the Owners group.
Add the Custom Learning for Office 365 app to the site
- From the SharePoint site, click the System menu, then click Add an App.
- Under Your Apps, click From Your Organization, and then click Custom Learning for Office 365.
Execute PowerShell Configuration Script
A PowerShell script, CustomLearningConfiguration.ps1, is included that you will need to execute to create three tenant properties that the solution uses. In addition the script creates two single part app pages in the site pages library to host the admin and user web parts at a known location.
Initialize web part custom configuration
After the PowerShell script is successfully run, navigate to /SitePages/CustomLearningAdmin.aspx to initialize the CustomConfig list item that sets up Custom Learning for first use. The configuration is now complete. You can move forward with using Custom Learning for Office 365. Please see the user documentation for more information.
Disabling telemetry collection
Microsoft collects active usage data from your organization’s use of Custom Learning for Office 365. Microsoft will use this data to help improve the future Custom Learning for Office 365 solutions. To learn more about Microsoft privacy policies see https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=521839.
If you would like to opt out of this data collection, please follow these instructions:
- Go to script CustomLearningConfiguration.ps1.
- Change the $optInTelemetry = $true command line to $false.
- Run the script with the change implemented.
If you are not performing a manual install and would like to turn telemetry tracking off, a separate script TelemetryOptOut.ps1 has been included that when run will disable telemetry tracking.
User contributions to Custom Learning for Office 365 are currently not being accepted.