Practical Arduino ProtoShield Mega
A general-purpose prototyping shield for the Arduino Mega microcontroller. Derived from the "Practical Arduino ProtoShield" design but extended to suit the footprint of the Mega.
This design is intended to maximise prototyping area by extending the plain pads right to the ends of the board, which also makes it easier to fit horizontal PCB-mount sockets that need to overlap the edge. Note that this design uses surface-mount parts in 0805 packaging for supporting components such as smoothing capacitors, status LEDs, and associated current limiting resistors, but has custom oversized 0805 pads to make it easier to hand-solder.
- Reset button wired through to Arduino reset pin.
- Additional momentary button (output biased high by 10k resistor and pulled low by the button).
- Two general-purpose SMT LEDs wired to VCC (drive low to illuminate)
- Pads for 2 surface-mount 100nF smoothing capacitors.
- Parts overlay on both the top and the bottom so you can see what you are connecting without having to keep turning the board over.
The design is saved as an EAGLE project. EAGLE PCB design software is available from www.cadsoftusa.com free for non-commercial use. To use this project download it and place the directory containing these files into the "eagle" directory on your computer. Then open EAGLE and navigate to Projects -> eagle -> ProtoShieldMega.
The specific terms of distribution of this project are governed by the license referenced below. Our intention is that anyone should be free to use or modify this project for non-commercial use; to distribute the project under the same terms; and that changes that are made to the project should also be available under these same terms. However, it may not be used for commercial purposes without entering into a commercial license agreement.
What this means in practise is that if you want to make a bunch of PCBs either personally or by a professional PCB fabrication company for your own use, go for it. If you want to fab them and give them away, that's fine too. Or if a group of people (such as members of a hackerspace or other community group) want to split the costs and have a batch fabbed to divide between them, that's fine. But if you want to fab boards and sell them, then you have to obtain a commercial license which will most likely incur a fee of AU$1 (+GST if applicable) per board fabbed.
In summary: do what you like with it for non-profit use. But if you want to make money from it, we get a cut too.
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 Australia License. To view a copy of this license, visit
or send a letter to
171 Second Street, Suite 300
If you haven't had PCBs fabricated before it can be very confusing trying to work out all the options. We have our boards fabbed by pcbcart.com, so to save you some hassle the list below shows our recommended selections for the options on their order form. Some of the settings can be changed if you have different preferences but this is a sensible starting point if you don't know what the options mean and should result in a decent board.
Note that the colour options below are for a yellow board with black text, and with all exposed surfaces gold-plated for maximum durability.
- Material: FR4
- Layers: 2 Layer
- Material Details: Standard Tg 140C
- Part Number: PA_PROTOSHIELD_MEGA (or substitute your own)
- Board Type: Single Unit
- Board Size (width): 92.71mm
- Board Size (height): 53.34mm
- Quantity: Select as appropriate
- Thickness: 1.2mm
- Surface Finish: ENIG (gold)
- Copper Weight (Finished): 35um
- Min. Tracing/Spacing: 0.20mm (8 thou)
- Min. Annular Ring: 0.30mm (12 thou)
- Smallest Holes: 0.40mm
- Holes Numbers: 300-600
- Surface Mount: 1 side
- Soldermask: Both sides
- Peelable Soldermask: None
- Soldermask Color: Yellow
- Matt Color: None
- Silkscreen Legend: 2 sides
- Silkscreen Legend Color: Black
- Gold Fingers: No
- Gold Fingers Number:
- Gold Fingers Chamfer:
- Slots in Board: No Slot in Board
- Slots quantity in board:
- Testing: Yes
- UL Marking: No
- Date Code Marking: No
- Lead Time: 8 or 12 days, as you prefer (8 costs a small amount more)
- Special Requirement Note: PCB is routed to outside line of Top layer