Startup Founder, Scientist and Software Developer
- CEO and co-founder of Earthmover.
- Associate professor in the Columbia University Department of Earth and Environmental Science and Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory. My research group website can be found at ocean-transport.github.io. There you can read more about my research.
- Co-founder and community leader of the Pangeo Project.
Partial list of projects I'm involved in
- Core developer - Xarray
- Steering council member - Zarr
- Creator of: xgcm, xrft,xhistogram, xmitgcm, rechunker, Pangeo Forge
Ryan P. Abernathey, an Associate Professor of Earth And Environmental Science at Columbia University and Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory, is a physical oceanographer who studies large-scale ocean circulation and its relationship with Earth's climate. He received his Ph.D. from MIT in 2012 and did a postdoc at Scripps Institution of Oceanography. He has received an Alfred P. Sloan Research Fellowship in Ocean Sciences, an NSF CAREER award, The Oceanography Society Early Career Award, and the AGU Falkenberg Award. He is a member of the NASA Surface Water and Ocean Topography (SWOT) science team and Director of Data and Computing for a new NSF Science and Technology Center called Learning the Earth with Artificial Intelligence and Physics (LEAP). Prof. Abernathey is an active participant in and advocate for open source software, open data, and reproducible science. In 2016 he helped found the Pangeo project, an open science community focused on big scientific data analytics.