Tailwind Nextjs Starter Blog
Probably the most feature-rich Next.js markdown blogging template out there. Easily configurable and customizable. Perfect as a replacement to existing Jekyll and Hugo individual blogs.
Check out the documentation below to get started.
Facing issues? Check the FAQ page and do a search on past issues. Feel free to open a new issue if none has been posted previously.
Feature request? Check the past discussions to see if it has been brought up previously. Otherwise, feel free to start a new discussion thread. All ideas are welcomed!
Note: These are community contributed forks using different frameworks or with significant changes to the codebase - not officially supported.
Astro alternative - Tailwind Astro Template.
Remix-run alternative - Tailwind Remix-run Starter Blog Template.
- Demo Blog - this repo
- My personal blog - modified to auto-generate blog posts with dates
- ben.codes blog - Benoit's personal blog about software development (source code)
- tsix blog - A front-end engineer is used to record some knowledge points in work and study 中文
- SOTO's Blog - A more personalized personal website upgraded from V1 (source code)
- Prabhu's Blog - Prabhu's Personal website with blog (source code)
- Rabby Hasan's Blog - Rabby Hasan's personal blog about full stack development with cloud (source code)
- enscribe.dev - enscribe's personal blog; cybersecurity shenanigans, frontend webdev, etc. (source code)
- dalelarroder.com - Dale Larroder's personal website upgraded from V1 (source code)
- thetalhatahir.com - Talha Tahir's personal blog. Added article thumbnails, linkedIn card, Beautiful hero content, technology emoticons.
- hauhau.cn - Homing's personal blog about the stuff he's learning (source code)
- zS1m's Blog - zS1m's personal blog for recording and sharing daily learning technical content 中文
- dariuszwozniak.net - Software development blog
- Terminals.run - Blog site for some thoughts and records for life and technology.
Using the template? Feel free to create a PR and add your blog to this list.
Thanks to the community of users and contributors to the template! We are no longer accepting new blog listings over here. If you have updated from version 1 to version 2, feel free to remove your blog from this list and add it to the one above.
- Aloisdg's cookbook - with pictures and recipes!
- GautierArcin's demo with next translate - includes translation of mdx posts, source code
- David Levai's digital garden - customized design and added email subscriptions
- Leo's Blog - Tuan Anh Huynh's personal site. Add Snippets Page, Author Profile Card, Image Lightbox, ...
- thvu.dev - Added
mdx-embed, view count, reading minutes and more.
- irvin.dev - Irvin Lin's personal site. Added YouTube embedding.
- KirillSo.com - Personal blog & website.
- slightlysharpe.com - Tincre's main company blog
- blog.b00st.com - b00st.com's main music promotion blog
- astrosaurus.me - Ephraim Atta-Duncan's Personal Blog
- dhanrajsp.me - Dhanraj's personal site and blog.
- blog.r00ks.io - Austin Rooks's personal blog (source code).
- honghong.me - Tszhong's personal website (source code)
- marceloformentao.dev - Marcelo Formentão personal website (source code).
- abiraja.com - with a runnable JS code snippet component!
- bpiggin.com - Ben Piggin's personal blog
- maqib.cn - A blog of Chinese front-end developers 狂奔小马的博客 (源码)
- ambilena.com - Electronic Music Blog & imprint for upcoming musicians.
- 0xchai.io - Chai's personal blog
- techipedia - Simple blogging progressive web app with custom installation button and top progress bar
- reubence.com - Reuben Rapose's Digital Garden
- axolo.co/blog - Engineering management news & axolo.co updates (with image preview for article in the home page)
- musing.vercel.app - Parth Desai's personal blog (source code)
- onyourmental.com - Curtis Warcup's website for the On Your Mental Podcast (source code)
- cwarcup.com - Curtis Warcup's personal website and blog (source code).
- ondiek-elijah.me - Ondiek Elijah's website and blog (source code).
- jmalvarez.dev - José Miguel Álvarez's personal blog (source code)
- justingosses.com - Justin Gosses's personal website and blog (source code)
- https://bitoflearning-9a57.fly.dev/ - Sangeet Agarwal's personal blog, replatformed to remix using the indie stack (source code)
- raphaelchelly.com - Raphaël Chelly's personal website and blog (source code)
- kaveh.page - Kaveh Tehrani's personal blog. Added tags directory, profile card, time-to-read on posts directory, etc.
I wanted to port my existing blog to Nextjs and Tailwind CSS but there was no easy out of the box template to use so I decided to create one. Design is adapted from Tailwindlabs blog.
- Next.js with Typescript
- Contentlayer to manage content logic
- Easy styling customization with Tailwind 3.0 and primary color attribute
- MDX - write JSX in markdown documents!
- Near perfect lighthouse score - Lighthouse report
- Lightweight, 85kB first load JS
- Mobile-friendly view
- Light and dark theme
- Font optimization with next/font
- Integration with pliny that provides:
- Multiple analytics options including Umami, Plausible, Simple Analytics, Posthog and Google Analytics
- Comments via Giscus, Utterances or Disqus
- Newsletter API and component with support for Mailchimp, Buttondown, Convertkit, Klaviyo, Revue, and Emailoctopus
- Command palette search with Kbar or Algolia
- Server-side syntax highlighting with line numbers and line highlighting via rehype-prism-plus
- Math display supported via KaTeX
- Citation and bibliography support via rehype-citation
- Automatic image optimization via next/image
- Support for tags - each unique tag will be its own page
- Support for multiple authors
- 3 different blog layouts
- 2 different blog listing layouts
- Support for nested routing of blog posts
- Projects page
- Preconfigured security headers
- SEO friendly with RSS feed, sitemaps and more!
- A markdown guide
- Learn more about images in Next.js
- A tour of math typesetting
- Simple MDX image grid
- Example of long prose
- Example of Nested Route Post
Quick Start Guide
- Clone the repo
npx degit 'timlrx/tailwind-nextjs-starter-blog'
siteMetadata.js(site related information)
- Modify the content security policy in
next.config.jsif you want to use other analytics provider or a commenting solution other than giscus.
headerNavLinks.tsto customize navigation links
- Add blog posts
- Deploy on Vercel
First, run the development server:
Open http://localhost:3000 with your browser to see the result.
Edit the layout in
app or content in
data. With live reloading, the pages auto-updates as you edit them.
Extend / Customize
data/siteMetadata.js - contains most of the site related information which should be modified for a user's need.
data/authors/default.md - default author information (required). Additional authors can be added as files in
data/projectsData.js - data used to generate styled card on the projects page.
data/headerNavLinks.js - navigation links.
data/logo.svg - replace with your own logo.
data/blog - replace with your own blog posts.
public/static - store assets such as images and favicons.
css/tailwind.css - tailwind configuration and stylesheet which can be modified to change the overall look and feel of the site.
css/prism.css - controls the styles associated with the code blocks. Feel free to customize it and use your preferred prismjs theme e.g. prism themes.
contentlayer.config.ts - configuration for Contentlayer, including definition of content sources and MDX plugins used. See Contentlayer documentation for more information.
components/MDXComponents.js - pass your own JSX code or React component by specifying it over here. You can then use them directly in the
.md file. By default, a custom link,
next/image component, table of contents component and Newsletter form are passed down. Note that the components should be default exported to avoid existing issues with Next.js.
layouts - main templates used in pages:
- There are currently 3 post layouts available:
PostLayoutis the default 2 column layout with meta and author information.
PostSimpleis a simplified version of
PostBannerfeatures a banner image.
- There are 2 blog listing layouts:
ListLayout, the layout used in version 1 of the template with a search bar and
ListLayoutWithTags, currently used in version 2, which omits the search bar but includes a sidebar with information on the tags.
app - pages to route to. Read the Next.js documentation for more information.
next.config.js - configuration related to Next.js. You need to adapt the Content Security Policy if you want to load scripts, images etc. from other domains.
Frontmatter follows Hugo's standards.
Please refer to
contentlayer.config.ts for an up to date list of supported fields. The following fields are supported:
title (required) date (required) tags (optional) lastmod (optional) draft (optional) summary (optional) images (optional) authors (optional list which should correspond to the file names in `data/authors`. Uses `default` if none is specified) layout (optional list which should correspond to the file names in `data/layouts`) canonicalUrl (optional, canonical url for the post for SEO)
Here's an example of a post's frontmatter:
--- title: 'Introducing Tailwind Nexjs Starter Blog' date: '2021-01-12' lastmod: '2021-01-18' tags: ['next-js', 'tailwind', 'guide'] draft: false summary: 'Looking for a performant, out of the box template, with all the best in web technology to support your blogging needs? Checkout the Tailwind Nextjs Starter Blog template.' images: ['/static/images/canada/mountains.jpg', '/static/images/canada/toronto.jpg'] authors: ['default', 'sparrowhawk'] layout: PostLayout canonicalUrl: https://tailwind-nextjs-starter-blog.vercel.app/blog/introducing-tailwind-nextjs-starter-blog ---
Netlify’s Next.js runtime configures enables key Next.js functionality on your website without the need for additional configurations. Netlify generates serverless functions that will handle Next.js functionalities such as server-side rendered (SSR) pages, incremental static regeneration (ISR),
See Next.js on Netlify for suggested configuration values and more details.
Static hosting services / GitHub Pages / S3 / Firebase etc.
next.config.js. See static exports documentation for more information.
unoptimized: trueto the
Alternatively, to continue using
next/image, you can use an alternative image optimization provider such as Imgix, Cloudinary or Akamai. See image optimization documentation for more details.
apifolder and components which call the server-side function such as the Newsletter component. Not technically required and the site will build successfully, but the APIs cannot be used as they are server-side functions.
yarn build. The generated static content is in the
outfolder to your hosting service of choice or run
npx serve outto view the website locally.
Note: Deploying on Github pages require addition modifications to the base path. Please refer to the FAQ for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I add a custom MDX component?
- How can I customize the
- How do I deploy on Github pages?
Using the template? Support this effort by giving a star on GitHub, sharing your own blog and giving a shoutout on Twitter or becoming a project sponsor.