Installation and cron scripts for the WeRelate software.
http://sandbox.werelate.org is configured using these scripts. It runs on a micro instance with Ubuntu 12.04 at Amazon Web Services.
The WeRelate software requires the following to be installed:
a mail server like postfix
memcached -- assumed running on localhost port 11211; this is configurable
php5 php5-curl php5-cli php5-mysql php-apc php-pear
install apache2 mods using a2enmod: deflate expires php5 rewrite proxy proxy_http
postfix or another mailer -- for sending mail
java -- needed only for search and gedcom upload - tested using openjdk-7-jdk
tomcat7 -- needed only for search and gedcom upload
git -- needed by the configure.sh script
ant and ant-optional -- needed by the configure.sh script
flex 3.5 -- needed only for gedcom review -- make sure files are readable by the ubuntu user
mkdir /opt/flex3 cd /opt/flex3 wget http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flex/sdk/flex_sdk_3.5.zip unzip flex_sdk_3.5.zip cp /opt/flex3/ant/lib/flexTasks.jar /usr/share/ant/lib chmod a+r /usr/share/ant/lib/flexTasks.jar
Setting up the database
- A skeleton database can be downloaded from http://public.werelate.org.s3.amazonaws.com/wikidb.sql
- create a database in mysql and import the skeleton
Configuring the server
The following assumes that you are running all of the WeRelate processes on localhost.
First, determine values for the following:
- DATABASE_NAME -- the database that you imported the skeleton into
- DATABASE_USER -- a database user that has full access to the database
- DATABASE_PASSWORD -- password for that user
- YOUR_WIKI_ACCOUNT_PASSWORD -- password for the WikiSysop user account
Next, fork this project and replace the placeholders in the following files with the values you determined. (I know there's a lot of redundancy here; I hope to eliminate most of it eventually):
- apps/search/db_memcache.properties -- needed only if you're running search
- apps/search/indexer.properties -- needed only if you're running search
- server/tomcat7.extra -- needed only if you're running search
- apps/werelate-gedcom/gedcom.properties -- needed only if you're importing gedcoms
- jobs/environment -- needed only if you're running cron jobs
- You may want to edit other scripts as well to suit your environment, especially if you are not running on localhost as user ubuntu.
Running the software
set the password for WikiSysop to the one you chose above:
source install-scripts/jobs/environment php -q wiki/maintenance/changePassword.php --user=WikiSysop --password=YOUR_WIKI_ACCOUNT_PASSWORD
start tomcat to run the search server:
sudo /etc/init.d/tomcat7 start
start apache to run the wiki:
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 start
append crontab.extra to your /etc/crontab file to run the indexer, gedcom uploader, etc.
sign in to the wiki as WikiSysop, click on Settings, change the email address, and confirm your new address by clicking on the link in the confirmation email.
The software is running on www.werelate.org, but this is the first time it has been made available externally. There may be assumptions about the WeRelate environment embedded in the software that I haven't yet caught and externalized. If you run into problems, please post issues. Pull requests are welcome!
Place auto-complete doesn't currently work because the place namespace in the skeleton database is empty. I plan to eventually make place auto-complete available through WeRelate. Let me know if you need this.
The wiki software is running on an ancient version of MediaWiki. I'd like to start migrating the wiki software to the current version of MediaWiki. Help is welcome.