AdAway is an open source ad blocker for Android using the hosts file and local vpn.
For more information visit https://adaway.org
There are two kinds of release:
- The preview builds: on the bleeding edge of development - for testers or adventurous
- The stable builds: ready for every day usage - for end users
Requirements: Android 8 Oreo or above
For users with bugs, there may be preview builds available from the XDA development thread and AdAway official website. It is recommended to try those builds to see if your issue is resolved before creating an issue. The preview builds may contain bug fixes or new features for new android versions.
- Android Android 8 Oreo or above
After preview builds have been tested by the more technical or responsive community within the forums, we will then post the stable build to F-Droid.
For devices older than Android 8 Oreo, use the version 4 of AdAway.
Get Host File Sources
You want to be involved in the project? Welcome onboard!
Check the contributing guide to learn how to report bugs, suggest features and make you first code contribution
If you are looking for translating the application in your language, the translating guide is for you.
AdAway is actively developed by:
- Bruce Bujon (@PerfectSlayer) - Developer
PayPal | GitHub Sponsorship
- Daniel Mönch (@Vankog) - Translations
- Jawz101 (@jawz101) - Hosts list
- Anxhelo Lushka (@AnXh3L0) - Web site
We do not forget the past maintainers:
- Dāvis Mošenkovs (@DavisNT) - Developer
- @0-kaladin - Developer and XDA OP
- Sanjay Govind (@sanjay900) - Developer
And we thanks a lot the original author:
- Dominik Schürmann (@dschuermann) - Original developer
Paypal | Flattr | BTC:
AdAway requires the following permissions:
INTERNETto download hosts files and application updates. It can send bug reports and telemetry if the user wants to (opt-in only)
ACCESS_NETWORK_STATEto restart VPN on network connection change
RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETEDto start the VPN on boot
FOREGROUND_SERVICEto run the VPN service in foreground
REQUEST_INSTALL_PACKAGESto update the application using the builtin updater
QUERY_ALL_PACKAGESto let the user pick the applications to exclude from VPN
AdAway is licensed under the GPLv3+.
The file LICENSE includes the full license text. For more details, check the license notes.