Remmina: The GTK+ Remote Desktop Client
Initially developed by Vic Lee
Remmina is a remote desktop client written in GTK+, aiming to be useful for system administrators and travellers, who need to work with lots of remote computers in front of either large monitors or tiny netbooks. Remmina supports multiple network protocols in an integrated and consistant user interface. Currently RDP, VNC, SPICE, NX, XDMCP and SSH are supported.
Remmina is released in separated source packages:
- "remmina", the main GTK+ application
- "remmina-plugins", a set of plugins
Remmina is free and open-source software, released under GNU GPL license.
Usually remmina is included in your linux distribution or in an external repository. Do not ask for distribution packages or precompiled binaries here. This is a development site.
To install it, just copy and paste the following three lines on a terminal window
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:remmina-ppa-team/remmina-next sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install remmina remmina-plugin-rdp libfreerdp-plugins-standard
By default the RDP, SSH and SFTP plugins are installed. You can view a list of available plugins with
apt-cache search remmina-plugin
If you want to connect to more securely configured SSH servers on Ubuntu 16.04 and below, you have to upgrade libssh to 0.7.X. This can be achieved by adding the following PPA containing libssh 0.7.X by David Kedves and upgrading your packages:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kedazo/libssh-0.7.x sudo apt-get update
Hubbitus (Pavel Alexeev) provided us a copr, to install just execute as root:
# dnf copr enable hubbitus/remmina-next # dnf upgrade --refresh 'remmina*' 'freerdp*'
Arch Linux based
There are also some external, not supported plugins provided by Muflone :
- remmina-plugin-exec A protocol plugin for Remmina to execute an external process.
- remmina-plugin-folder A protocol plugin for Remmina to open a folder.
- remmina-plugin-open A protocol plugin for Remmina to open a document with its associated application.
- remmina-plugin-rdesktop A protocol plugin for Remmina to open a RDP connection with rdesktop.
- remmina-plugin-teamviewer A protocol plugin for Remmina to launch a TeamViewer connection.
- remmina-plugin-ultravnc A protocol plugin for Remmina to connect via VNC using UltraVNC viewer.
- remmina-plugin-url A protocol plugin for Remmina to open an URL in an external browser.
- remmina-plugin-webkit A protocol plugin for Remmina to launch a GTK+ Webkit browser.
From the source code
Follow the guides available on the wiki:
Just select Remmina from your application menu or execute remmina from the command line
Remmina support also the following options:
-a, --about Show about dialog -c, --connect=FILE Connect to a .remmina file -e, --edit=FILE Edit a .remmina file -n, --new Create a new connection profile -p, --pref=PAGENR Show preferences dialog page -x, --plugin=PLUGIN Execute the plugin -q, --quit Quit the application -s, --server=SERVER Use default server name -t, --protocol=PROTOCOL Use default protocol -i, --icon Start as tray icon -v, --version Show the application's version --display=DISPLAY X display to use
You can configure everything from the graphical interface or editing by hand the files under $HOME/.remmina or $HOME/.config/remmina
If you want to contribute with code:
- Fork it
- Create your feature branch (
git checkout -b my-new-feature)
- Commit your changes (
git commit -am 'Add some feature')
- Push to the branch (
git push origin my-new-feature)
- Create new Pull Request
If you want to contribute in other ways, drop us an email using the form provided in our web site.
If you rather prefer to contribute to Remmina with money you are more than welcome.
For more informations See the Remmina web site donation page.
See the THANKS.md file for an exhaustive list of supporters.
If clicking on the line above does not work, use this payment info:
- Remmina bitcoin address: 1298H2vaxcbDQRuRYkDjfFbvGEgxE1CNjk
- Message: Remmina Donation
Remmina is maintained by:
See the AUTHORS for an exhaustive list. If you are not listed and you have contributed, feel free to update that file.
- Wiki and compilation instructions
- G+ Remmina community
- IRC we are on freenode.net , in the channel #remmina, you can also use a web client in case
Licensed under the GPLv2 license