A curated list of great modules and other tools for Islandora 7.x-1.x that are not included in the core release. Inspired by the awesome list.
These community modules are mostly functional or well on their way. Some may find their way into future releases as part of the standard Islandora suite. Others may always stand alone, but they all add useful functionality and new tools. We offer this list for discovery, but do not officially provide support for any of these modules. Their maintainers may offer support - check the READMEs.
Table of Contents
If you would like to contribute to this list, please check out CONTRIBUTING.md.
Please ensure your pull request adheres to the following guidelines:
- Use the following format:
[Module Name](link)(Status: Stable or In Development) - Brief Description of what the module does
- Make an individual pull request for each new item.
- Link additions should be inserted alphabetically to the relavant category
- New categories or improvements to the existing categorization are welcome.
- Check your spelling and grammar.
- The pull request and commit should have a useful title.
Having problems or solved a problem? Check out the Islandora google groups for a solution.
To the extent possible under law, the owner has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.
- Islandora Binary Solution Pack (Stable) - Adds all required Fedora objects to allow users to ingest supplemental files through the Islandora interface. Used best in conjunction with the Islandora Compound Solution Pack.
- Islandora Database Solution Pack (Stable) - Allows a user to ingest database dumps (.SQL files) as Islandora objects that are then spun up into live, browsable (read-only) database instances using Docker and Adminer.
- Islandora Document Solution Pack (Stable) - Provides a collection and a content model for users’ documents. Documents are converted to the pdf format to display them. This solution pack needs OpenOffice running as a service and also the JODCoverter library installed.
- Islandora EAD Solution Pack (Stable) - Provides functionality for ingestion and management of EADs.
- Islandora Manuscript Solution Pack (Stable) - Allows users to create and view Manuscripts. Including the upload of TEI and XSLT and CSS documents. Users will be able to view transformed manuscript TEI (via the upload XSLT) side by side with the image(s) of the manuscript (via the Open Seadragon viewer). Users will also be able to browse Manuscripts via Box / Folder hierarchies as defined by their record in an associated finding aid.
- Islandora Oral Histories Solution Pack (Stable) - Allows users to create and view audio and/or video oral histories with transcripts.
- Islandora Serials Solution Pack (Stable) - Adds all required Fedora objects to allow users to model, ingest and view objects modelled as serials within the Islandora interface.
- Islandora Streaming Media Solution Pack (Stable) - Create and manage Islandora objects representing streaming resources.
- Islandora XML Solution Pack (Stable) - An Islandora Solution Pack that allows for ingesting and viewing arbitrary types of XML files. Support viewers and includes a custom batch loader.
- Islandora Authority (Stable) - This module adds two Drupal form API elements and a menu path used for autocompletion on one of them.
- Islandora Batch with Derivs (Stable) - Specialized batch ingest module that ingests objects with prederived datastreams.
- Islandora Block Options (Stable) - Adds additional placement options to all blocks for Islandora options that are similar to the content type options for nodes. Adds the ability to limit blocks visibility based on the cmodel being viewed.
- Islandora Blocks (Stable) - Exposes several supplementary blocks that complement/replace some of the core functionality that currently lives in templates within Islandora core.
- Islandora Compound Batch (In Development) - Adds the ability to batch ingest compound objects. Currently supports compound objects that are one level deep (e.g., post cards).
- Islandora Context (Stable) - Provides a set of Context "conditions" and "reactions" for Islandora objects. Think of this module as an "if-this-then-that" configurator for Islandora repositories.
- Islandora Datastream CRUD (Stable) - Islandora Drush module for performing Create, Read, Update, and Delete operations on datastreams.
- Islandora Datastream Replace (Stable) - Islandora Drush module for replacing datastreams in Fedora objects. Meant to work alongside islandora_datastream_export. For example, pull MODS out of a collection, edit it in something like openrefine, then use islandora_datastream_replace to put the MODS back.
- Islandora Dump Datastreams (Stable) - Exports an object and all its datastreams on ingest. Useful for "offline" derivative creation.
- Islandora Default Thumbs (In Development) - This module allows an administrative user to configure the default thumbnails found in an Islandora site. This functionality is non destructive to an existing objects thumbnail datastream, and will only affect the display layer thumbnails. This includes the Grid view, List view, SOLR Search results and the compound object display naviation block (not JAIL display). Supported for use with SPARQL (Legacy), SPARQL and SOLR display generation.
- Islandora Disqus (Stable) - Enables commenting on Islandora objects using the Disqus comment platform. More info
- Islandora Drag & Drop Ingest (Stable) - This ingest module provides a methodology for creating a drag-and-drop batch ingest workflow powered by a local Linux-based NAS system integrated with an Islandora ingest server. Ingest status can be visually communicated using Islandora Ingest Indicator, powered by Blink(1) USB LEDs.
- Islandora Entity Bridge (Stable) - Provides a simple connector between Islandora/Fedora Entities and Drupal. It is to allow for referencing Islandora Objects (like in Flag, Entity Queue, Entityreference, etc) without bringing in the full weight of an Entity like Node.
- Islandora Find & Replace (Stable) Allows for simple find & replace of text in datastreams via an admin form. If Islandora Pretty Text Diff is enabled, previews of the find & replace can be viewed before submitting the find & replace operation. A log captures the datastream versions to show a diff after the update is complete. More info.
- Islandora Generate/Regenrate Collection Datastreams (Stable) - Allows mass regeneration of selected derivatives for selected content models, as well mass regeneration of the DC metadata for selected content models within a collection.
- Islandora GSearcher (Stable) - Sends created and edited objects to be indexed via the Fedora Generic Search Service on page exit, removing the need for ActiveMQ between Fedora and GSearch.
- Islandora Job (Stable) - Utilizes Gearman to facilitate asynchronous and parallel processing of Islandora jobs and allows for Drupal modules to register worker functions and routes received messages from the job server to the appropriate worker functions.
- Islandora Managed Access (Stable) - Allows administrators to place access management policies on Islandora objects requiring unauthorized users to register for a temporary user account in order to view said objects. Also allows administrators to view all users who have registered in this way along with metadata about their accounts.
- Islandora Metadata Analyzer (In Development) - Allows administrators to analyze MODS or DC metadata for a collection to find inconsistencies by aggregating the metadata for all items in a collection into a format that allows analysis.
- Islandora Metadata Extras (Stable) Provides options for customizing metadata display and generation, including replacing dates in yyyy-mm-dd format with human-readable equivalents like "September 24, 1968".
- Islandora Object Field (In Development) - Adds a new field type for "Islandora object" that allows users to reference objects on drupal entities.
- Islandora Object Lock (Stable) - Allows users to lock objects to prevent modifications by other users. It also automatically locks objects when edits are being made to datastreams through the XML Form Builder.
- Islandora On This Day (Stable) - Generates a gallery of objects with a month and day equal to the current day's. Great way to showcase content in your Islandora repo.
- Islandora Piwik (In Development) - Provides integration with the Piwik Open Analytics Platform.
- Islandora Plupload (Stable) - Integrates the Plupload library with Islandora file fields to allow for the upload of files greater than limits imposed by PHP.
- Islandora Pretty Text Diff (Stable) - View "diffs" of text/XML datastream versions. More info
- Islandora PROAI Stable) - Provides an integration of Fedora's OAI Provider Service 1.2.2 within Islandora.
- Islandora Relationship Editor (Stable) - With this module, you can add RELS-EXT relationships to an object via the "Manage" tab. You can also add the reciprocal ('symmetric') relationship. Relationships are derived from the ontology file.
- Islandora REST API (Stable) - An extremely well documented module that provides a number of REST end points for fetching/manipulating objects, datastreams, and object relationships from islandora.
- Islandora Sample Content Generator (Stable) - Create and load sample image-based content (images, paged content, PDFs) and collections using Drush.
- Islandora Saved Searches (stable) - Adds the ability to save searches on the Islandora SOLR index provided by the Islandora SOLR module.
- Islandora Solr Collection View (In Development) - Replaces the browse display provided by Islandora collection objects with a View, providing enhanced customization and performance.
- Islandora Simple Map (Stable) - Adds a Google map to an object's display if the object's MODS datastream contains cartographic coordinates.
- Islandora Solr Content Type (In Development) - Creates a self-contained collection page based on a dynamic Solr query. Has the ability to search and facet within the collection page (without redirect). Optionally allows the content creator to specify an advanced search query which acts as the base search.
- Islandora Solr Fact API (In Development) - Completely replaces the default islandora facets with Facet API facets.
- Islandora ThemeKey (Stable) - Provides ThemeKey theme-switching rules for Islandora objects. This module will change your site's theme based on attributes of Islandora objects.
- Islandora Transcript (Stable) - Allows for viewing the TRANSCRIPT datastream of an object, if it exists, in a tab. The TRANSCRIPT datastream should be a text file. The module will keep the spirit of the formatting of the TRANSCRIPT datastream on rendering.
- Islandora Twitter Cards (Stable) - Add Twitter Cards and Facebook meta tags to your site without hacking the theme.
- Islandora URL Redirector (Stable) - Simplifies migrations by preserving old permalinks. An Islandora migration module that preserves permalinks from objects' previous repositories. When an incoming URL matches a defined pattern, the module looks up an object's old "permanent" URL from an identifier field and redirects the viewer to its new home in Islandora.
- Islandora Usage Stats Callbacks (stable) - A helper module that works with Islandora Usage Stats to take the data it collects and expose it via URL callbacks.
- Islandora Webform (Stable) - A module that allows the use of Drupal webforms to contribute metadata for an Islandora object, with a workflow at the webform or object level for site managers to review and ingest submissions. Useful for allowing public contributions into a moderated workflow.
- Islandora XML Form Builder States (Unknown) - This module modifies the way forms work to add basic support for the "#states" function inherant in Drupal 7 core. While this module has limitations in support of multiple values on a condition, it does extend basic functionality. This module assumes you know how to use the Islandora XML Form Builder. If you need to learn how to use the Islandora XML Form Builder, please consult the help for that module.
- Islandora Porcus (N/A) - Developed for the first Islandora Camp Developer's Track workshop and refined at subsequent camps. On the surface, Porcus is a module that will take text and translate it to pig latin. Check under the hood and you will find a heavily commented training tool that presents the basics of module development for Islandora and provides a handy reference for how the various parts interact. Created For Islandora Camp NY 2013, so some features may be out of date.
- Islandora Meme Solution Pack (N/A) - Created for Islandora Camp Colorado 2014 in order to provide a framework to learn how to query solr in Islandora.
- Piggy Back (N/A) - An extension for the Porcus module with additional demonstrations and tools. Created for Islandora Camp CA 2014.
- Islandora Dev 101 - Not a module containing executable code, but a text for a 2 or more hour workshop on Islandora 7.x-1.x development. Aimed at people who have some expeience developing in PHP but not necessarily experience with Drupal.
- Move to Islandora Kit (Stable) - Converts source content files and accompanying metadata into ingest packages used by existing Islandora batch ingest modules.
- Gist to clone/pull All of Islandora Repos - Bash/Python Scripts that will either clone or pull updates from all of the Islandora repos (Islandora/Islandora-Labs/CLAW)