Qwiz Notes is social network for students to study. It provides a distraction free environment with tools to help make studying more efficient.
Table of contents
- Getting started
- The Project
- Ruby 2.4.0 +
- Rails 5.0.2
- Unix like operating system (OS X, Ubuntu, Debian, etc.)
- Not yet tested on Windows
- Clone or download the repository
- Install Ruby 2.4.0 via rbenv or rvm
- Install Rails (if not already installed)
- Install PostgreSQL (if not already installed). Here is a list of installation options based on your development machine's operating system. I am currently using Postgresapp and have used Homebrew (Not sure why, but I had issues restarting the service this time)
cdinto project directory (If not already there)
cp config/secrets.yml.example config/secrets.yml
rake db:create:all db:setup
- View in browser at http://localhost:3000
# Cucumber tests [bundle exec] cucumber # Rspec tests bundle exec rspec # Automated testing for Cucumber and Rspec bundle exec guard
I propose that we create a social network that has tools that are condusive to studying. There should be a simple and clean text editor. There should be tools for making quizzes and even strategies for making quizzes automatically. Users should be able to favorite other users and their notes. The app should be fast and have calm yet welcoming colors. There should be no advertisements or constant notifications. The web app will be available through any device with a web browser and an internet connection. Native mobile apps can be created once this web app becomes popular enough. Offline access would be prefered for situations where an internet connection is not possible.
Audiences This app is for students from Elementary to post-secondary school level.
- Be a focused platform that increases studying efficiency and knowledge retention.
- Allow students to collaborate easily
- Allow students to effortlessly create quizzes and review their results
- Provide a platform for online tutoring (Phase 2)
- Every page will include a site search tool.
- Login via Facebook or Google account.
- Guests can:
- View single notes (non index page)
- Take a quiz from a note
- Users must log in to:
- Create notes
- View all notes
- Follow notes
- Follow other users
- Create comments
- I chose to use Materialize CSS because I I have also read through most of Google's Material Design Guidelines and I agree with a lot of their opinions on User Experience.
- I chose to go with pagination instead of infinite scroll based on this UX article.
- Barsoom Rails style guide
- UI Namespaces
jsButtonCollapse('js', followed by 'noun/namespace' followed by 'verb', in camel case)
When adding or changing any localization keys in the YAML files, please be mindful of existing keys in other languages.
Reset the staging database
From time to time you may need to reset the staging server database, to include new seed data, etc. Make sure you're in the
~/staging.APPNAME/current folder. NOTE: Change APPNAME.
##### NOTE: Change APPNAME rake db:environment:set RAILS_ENV=staging db:drop sudo -u postgres createdb -O deploy APPNAME_staging rake db:environment:set RAILS_ENV=staging db:migrate db:seed