Windows Precision Touchpad Implementation for Apple MacBook family/Magic Trackpad 2
Warning: The project is under development, with some features incomplete yet. See projects page for known issues and WIP(work-in-progress) items before opening a new issue.
This project aims to implement Windows Precision Touchpad Protocol for Apple MacBook family/Magic Trackpad 2 on Windows 10.
Both USB and SPI trackpads are supported.
See it in action (YouTube video)
I got my T2 MacBook Pro :) Work is in progress. Eventually all USB devices will use the km driver (not only T2).
If you like my work, please consider buying me a coffee. Thank you for your support!
- Go to the release tab in Github and download the newest version
- Open the zip and navigate to
AmtPtpDevice.cercertificate to your machine's root authority store
- Go to
- Right click
AmtPtpDevice.infand install it
You don't have to enable manual trust, as recent builds are cross-signed by DigiCert. If you want to try latest changes, you can click "Build Status" badge and download CI builds (tagged with commit ID and machine architecture) manually.
Note: SPI version needs at least Windows 10, version 1709 to work.
- SPI version is kernel-mode driver, using KMDF Framework v1.23. Windows 10 Driver Development Kit Version 1803 is required for development and testing.
- USB version is a user-mode driver, using UMDF Framework v2.15. Windows 10 Driver Development Kit Version 1803 is required for development and testing.
Note: I plan to target a higher version of KMDF and drop UMDF later this year.
There is a bring-up issue for certain MacBook Pro and MacBook Air. I am looking into it. If you have such device with Windows installed, please contact me so I can look into the issue remotely (as I don't have many devices).
- Non-Retina MacBook
- Some non-Retina MacBook Pro (2011 and 2012)
- MacBook Pro with Retina Display (MacBookPro 10,1, MacBookPro10,2 & MacBookPro11,1)
- All recent MacBook Air (Please report if your model is not supported)
- Apple Magic Trackpad 2 (Not stable)
- MacBook Pro with Retina Display (2013, 2014, 2015, 13-inch & 15-inch)
- New MacBook (12-inch)
- MacBook Pro 2015, 2016, 2017 (I need the device ID for 2016 model)
- (Work in progress) T2-based devices: MacBook Air 2018, MacBook Pro 2017/2018/2019
- Touchpad Device Power Management
- Touchpad Protocol Stack Implementation
- Touchpad Raw Input Output (in Driver Trace)
- HID Protocol Implementation (PTP Touch)
- HID Protocol Implementation (Configuration)
- Device Test (Magic Trackpad 2)
- Refine input experience (tip switch detection and pressure)
- Refine input experience (gesture experience)
- More Models (I need donation)
- Signal Processing Algorithm (Papers, papers!)
- KM Driver cross-cert
- KM Driver EV & WHQL
People familiar with me know that I don't use Apple MacBook (so development work of this driver occurs on a Surface Pro 4). People probably think it doesn't make sense that I started this project. The motivation behind this project origin from complaints from my girlfriend. Hearing about frequent complains about Dell XPS 13's touchpad (though it passed Precision Touchpad certification), I decided to start this project, so by the time she switches to MacBook Pro, she will have excellent touchpad experience out-of-box, even on Windows. This driver is made for you, but also for everyone.