A curated list of awesome Node.js Security resources.
List inspired by the awesome list thing.
- Security Incidents
Web Framework Hardening
- Helmet - Helmet helps you secure your Express apps by setting various HTTP headers.
- koa-helmet - koa-helmet helps you secure your Koa apps by setting various HTTP headers.
- blankie - CSP plugin for hapi.
- fastify-helmet - fastify-helmet helps you secure your fastify apps by setting important secutiry headers.
Static Code Analysis
- eslint-plugin-security - ESLint rules for Node Security. This project will help identify potential security hotspots, but finds a lot of false positives which need triage by a human.
- tslint-plugin-security - TSLint rules for Node Security. This project will help identify potential security hotspots, but finds a lot of false positives which need triage by a human.
- safe-regex - detect potentially catastrophic exponential-time regular expressions by limiting the star height to 1.
- git-secrets - Prevents you from committing secrets and credentials into git repositories.
- DevSkim - DevSkim is a set of IDE plugins and rules that provide security "linting" capabilities. Also has support for CLI so it can be integrated into CI/CD pipeline.
- ban-sensitive-files - Checks filenames to be committed against a library of filename rules to prevent storing sensitive files in Git. Checks some files for sensitive contents (for example authToken inside .npmrc file).
- NodeJSScan - A static security code scanner for Node.js applications. Including neat UI that can point where the issue is and how to fix it.
- Nsecure - Node.js CLI that allow you to deeply analyze the dependency tree of a given npm package or a directory.
- Trust But Verify - TBV compares an npm package with its source repository to ensure the resulting artifact is the same.
- lockfile-lint - lint lockfiles for improved security and trust policies to keep clean from malicious package injection and other insecure configurations.
- pkgsign - A CLI tool for signing and verifying npm and yarn packages.
- semgrep - Open-source, offline, easy-to-customize static analysis for many languages. Some others on this list (NodeJSScan) use semgrep as their engine.
- npm-scan - An extensible, heuristic-based vulnerability scanning tool for installed npm packages.
- cspscanner - CSP Scanner helps developers and security experts to easily inspect and evaluate a site’s Content Security (CSP).
Input Validation & Output Encoding
- escape-html - Escape string for use in HTML.
- validator - An npm library of string validators and sanitizers.
- xss-filters - Just sufficient output filtering to prevent XSS!
- DOMPurify - a DOM-only, super-fast, uber-tolerant XSS sanitizer for HTML, MathML and SVG.
- envalid - Envalid is a small library for validating and accessing environment variables in Node.js.
- pug-plugin-trusted-types - Pug template plugin makes it easy to securely compose HTML from untrusted inputs and provides CSP & CSRF automagic.
- safesql - A tagged template (
mysql`...`) that understands Postgres's & MySQL's query grammar to prevent SQL injection.
- sh-template-tag - A tagged template (
sh`...`) that understands Bash syntax so prevents shell injection.
- csurf - Node.js CSRF protection middleware.
- crumb - CSRF crumb generation and validation for hapi.
- fastify-csrf - A plugin for adding CSRF protection to fastify.
Vulnerabilities and Security Advisories
- npq - Safely install packages with npm or yarn by auditing them as part of your install process.
- snyk - Snyk helps you find, fix and monitor known vulnerabilities in Node.js npm, Ruby and Java dependencies, both on an ad hoc basis and as part of your CI (Build) system.
- node-release-lines - Introspection API for Node.js release metadata. Provides information about release lines, their relative status along with details of each release.
- auditjs - Audits an NPM package.json file to identify known vulnerabilities using the OSSIndex.
- npm-audit - Runs a security audit based on your package.json using npm.
- npm-audit-resolver - Manage npm-audit results, including options to ignore specific issues in clear and auditable way.
- gammaray - Runs a security audit based on your package.json using the Node.js Security Working Group vulnerability data.
- patch-package - Allows app authors to create fixes for npm dependencies (in node_modules) without forking or waiting for merged PRs, by creating and applying patches.
- check-my-headers - Fast and simple way to check any HTTP Headers.
- joi-security - Detect security flaws in Joi validation schemas.
- express-limiter - Rate limiting middleware for Express applications built on redis.
- limits - Simple express/connect middleware to set limit to upload size, set request timeout etc.
- rate-limiter-flexible - Fast, flexible and friendly rate limiter by key and protection from DDoS and brute force attacks in process Memory, Cluster, Redis, MongoDb, MySQL, PostgreSQL at any scale. Express and Koa examples included.
- tor-detect-middleware Tor detect middleware for express
- express-enforces-ssl Enforces SSL for Express based Node.js projects. It is however highly advised that you handle SSL and global HTTP rules in a front proxy.
JSON.parse()drop-in replacement with prototype poisoning protection.
- fastify-rate-limit A low overhead rate limiter for your routes.
JSON.parse()drop-in replacement with prototype poisoning protection.
- express-brute A brute-force protection middleware for express routes that rate-limits incoming requests, increasing the delay with each request in a fibonacci-like sequence.
- allowed-scripts Execute allowed
npm installlifecycle scripts.
- discord malicious npm package - Npm package caught stealing sensitive Discord and browser files [sonatype], [zdnet].
- twilio-npm - malicious npm package opens backdoors on programmers' computers. References[zdnet]
- fallguys - malicious package stealing sensitive files. References [zdnet]
- is-promise - one-liner library breaks an ecosystem. References: [Forbes Lindesay - Maintainer post-mortem], [snyk's postmortem]
- EasyDEX-GUI - malicious code found in npm package event-stream. References: [npm], [snyk], [komodo announcement]
- event-stream - malicious code found in npm package event-stream. References: [github issue] [snyk], [snyk's postmortem], [schneid], [intrinsic], [npm], [jayden], [hillel wayne's postmortem]
- eslint - malicious packages found in npm package eslint-scope and eslint-config-eslint. References [github issue], [eslint tweet], [eslint's postmortem], [nodesource's postmortem], [npm's statement]
- getcookies - malicious package getcookies gets embedded in higher-level express related packages. References: [GitHub issue], [npm], [bleepingcomputer.com], [Snyk’s getcookies vulnerability page], [Hacker News]
- crossenv - malicious typosquatting package crossenv steals environment variables. References: [CJ blog on typosquat packages], [Typosquatting research paper], [bleepingcomputer.com], [Snyk’s crossenv vulnerability page], [Hacker News]
- bb-builder - malicious package targeting Windows systems to exfiltrate information and send to a remote service. References: [Snyk], [Reversing Labs], [Bleeping Computer]
- jdb.js - db-json.js - malicious npm packages caught installing remote access trojans. References: [zdnet.com], [Bleepingcomputer].
- npm zoo is an archive keeping track of the original malicious packages source code for educational purposes.
- OWASP NodeGoat - The OWASP NodeGoat project provides an environment to learn how OWASP Top 10 security risks apply to web applications developed using Node.js and how to effectively address them.
- DomGoat - Client XSS happens when untrusted data from sources ends up in sinks. Information and excercises on different sources, different sinks and example of XSS occuring due to them in the menu on the left-hand side.
- A Roadmap for Node.js Security
- 10 npm security best practices
- OWASP Cheat Sheet Series - Node.js Security Cheat Sheet
- What is a backdoor? Let’s build one with Node.js
- The Anatomy of a Malicious Package
- Why npm lockfiles can be a security blindspot for injecting malicious modules
- GitHub Actions to securely publish npm packages
- Secure Your Node.js Web Application: Keep Attackers Out and Users Happy by Karl Duuna, 2016
- Essential Node.js Security by Liran Tal, 2017 - Hands-on and abundant with source code for a practical guide to Securing Node.js web applications.
- Securing Node JS Apps by Ben Edmunds, 2016 - Learn the security basics that a senior developer usually acquires over years of experience, all condensed down into one quick and easy handbook.
- Web Developer Security Toolbox - Bundled Node.js and Web Security Books.
- Snyk - A developer-first solution that automates finding & fixing vulnerabilities in your dependencies.
- Sqreen - Automated security for your web apps - real time application security protection.
- Intrinsic - Intrinsic secures your sensitive data from bugs and malicious code, allowing you to run all code safely.
- NodeSource - Mission-critical Node.js applications. Provides N|Solid and Node Certified Modules.
- GuardRails - A GitHub App that gives you instant security feedback in your Pull Requests.
Found an awesome project, package, article, other type of resources related to Node.js Security? Send me a pull request! Just follow the guidelines. Thank you!
say hi on Twitter