C. elegans robots.
The goal of this project is twofold:
- To build a robot that simulates the neuromuscular function of a C. elegans nematode worm.
- To specify a kit of parts and instructions that will allow a student to also build the robot.
The robot is controlled by a Raspberry Pi/ESP32 processor that contains a recorded simulation of the worm's neuromuscular system (see references). The robot's body is a sequence of segments that mutually exert simulated muscle contractions impemented by servos.
- WormHost: PC code to communicate with the onboard Raspberry Pi.
- WormRPi: Raspberry Pi onboard code.
- WormESP32: ESP32 onboard code.
- WormSim: C. elegans neuromuscular simulator.
- assembly: parts list, 3D printing .stl shape files, and assembly instructions.
- docs: robot description.
References: Boyle, Berri and Cohen, "Gait modulation in C. elegans: an integrated neuromechanical model", Front. Comput. Neurosci., 2012. Eduardo J. Izquierdo and Randall D. Beer, "An Integrated Neuromechanical Model of Steering in C. elegans", ECAL15