Python Language Server
A Python 2.7 and 3.5+ implementation of the Language Server Protocol.
The base language server requires Jedi to provide Completions, Definitions, Hover, References, Signature Help, and Symbols:
pip install python-language-server
If the respective dependencies are found, the following optional providers will be enabled:
- Rope for Completions and renaming
- Pyflakes linter to detect various errors
- McCabe linter for complexity checking
- pycodestyle linter for style checking
- pydocstyle linter for docstring style checking (disabled by default)
- autopep8 for code formatting
- YAPF for code formatting (preferred over autopep8)
Optional providers can be installed using the extras syntax. To install YAPF formatting for example:
pip install 'python-language-server[yapf]'
All optional providers can be installed using:
pip install 'python-language-server[all]'
If you get an error similar to
'install_requires' must be a string or list of strings then please upgrade setuptools before trying again.
pip install -U setuptools
3rd Party Plugins
Installing these plugins will add extra functionality to the language server:
- pyls-mypy Mypy type checking for Python 3
- pyls-isort Isort import sort code formatting
- pyls-black for code formatting using Black
Please see the above repositories for examples on how to write plugins for the Python Language Server. Please file an issue if you require assistance writing a plugin.
Configuration is loaded from zero or more configuration sources. Currently implemented are:
- pycodestyle: discovered in ~/.config/pycodestyle, setup.cfg, tox.ini and pycodestyle.cfg.
- flake8: discovered in ~/.config/flake8, setup.cfg, tox.ini and flake8.cfg
The default configuration source is pycodestyle. Change the pyls.configurationSources setting to ['flake8'] in order to respect flake8 configuration instead.
Overall configuration is computed first from user configuration (in home directory), overridden by configuration passed in by the language client, and then overriden by configuration discovered in the workspace.
To enable pydocstyle for linting docstrings add the following setting in your LSP configuration:
See vscode-client/package.json for the full set of supported configuration options.
Language Server Features
Code Linting with pycodestyle and pyflakes:
Go to definition:
To run the test suite:
pip install .[test] && pytest
Develop against VS Code
The Python language server can be developed against a local instance of Visual Studio Code.
# Setup a virtual env virtualenv env . env/bin/activate # Install pyls pip install . # Install the vscode-client extension cd vscode-client yarn install # Run VSCode which is configured to use pyls # See the bottom of vscode-client/src/extension.ts for info yarn run vscode -- $PWD/../
Then to debug, click View -> Output and in the dropdown will be pyls. To refresh VSCode, press Cmd + r
This project is made available under the MIT License.