Map World News
Location extraction and sentiment analysis of world news, mapped.
Map World News retrieves the news stories associated with the country you select, extracts all other mentioned countries, and does sentiment analysis to determine how positive or negative the article is. This is used to color other countries red or green based on their relationship to the selected country.
See it online at mapworldnews.com.
git clone email@example.com:rkuykendall/map-world-news.git
pip install -r requirements.txt
gem install foreman
Starting the Server
- In one window:
- In another window:
nosetests will run all the tests in
*_tests.py* files and you
can write more tests or write code to fix the tests that fail.
- Shensi Ding, Sahil Ansari, and Bo Xu's work with me on IRIS, the project from which this was based.
- Joe Turner at Thinkful for many months of Python help.
- Susan McGregor and David Elson of the Digitally Mediated Storytelling class at Columbia University in 2014 where we created IRIS.
- Finn Arup for his work on simple sentiment analysis.
- Tom Noda for his D3 map tutorial used as the basis for the map.
- Pete Warden for the Data Science Toolkit, the original sentiment and location extraction code used here.