A mod for the game Factorio, causing full belts to overflow at the end.
Whenever items on a belt are unable to proceed ahead smoothly, they will fall off the belt onto a nearby tile. That tile might be empty, or it could be onto another belt, wreaking havoc on your production line.
Items can fall off at the end of a series of belts (and splitters and underground belts), at a side loading location, at a splitter being used to combine two belts, and a few other places that items can get stuck.
Suggested approaches for avoiding overflowing belts:
- Ensure demand exceeds supply, more assemblers than furnaces
- Put chests at overflow points
- Return unused materials back to the main bus
- Pull items directly from your main bus
- Use logisitic bots
- Use belt loops everywhere, so inserters won't put items on full belts
- Use direct insertion between buildings, furnace to assembler to assembler
- Use circuits and/or smart inserters to avoid over-production
Suggested approaches for minimizing damage from overflow:
- Ensure no belt terminates near another belt
- Use splitter filters or smart inserters to filter trash from belts before they reach your assemblers
- Some side loading configurations overflow incorrectly