Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
3rd party applications
Suggested 3rd party apps to complete Qt based "fully featured" desktop.
Note: if is the "QtDesktop" enlisted, the package is part of QtDesktop repository — prebuilt binary packages for openSUSE, Fedora, Mandriva.
- Smplayer — the original fully-featured Qt4/5 frontend for mplayer/mplayer2
- mpv - A media player based on MPlayer and mplayer2. It supports a wide variety of video file formats, audio and video codecs, and subtitle types.
- Vlc — Standalone media player
- QMPlay2 — It can plays all formats and stream supported by ffmpeg and libmodplug. It has integrated Youtube browser.
- Xt7-player — Xt7 is an mplayer gui that aims to be a complete interface to its tons of options coded keeping usability in mind.
- Cantata — Extremely featureful MPD client, with Qt4 and Qt5 interfaces.
- Clementine — modern music player and library organiser inspired by Amarok 1.4.
- YaRock — Modern Music Player with collection browser based on cover art.
- Tomahawk — The social media player.
- Musique — Music player with a clean and innovative interface.
- Qmmp — Audio-player, the user interface is similar to winamp or xmms.
- Quimup — A client for the Music Player Daemon (MPD) written in C++ and Qt
- qasmixer — sound mixer/volume handler (QtDesktop)
- EKO — EKO is a simple sound editor
- Flacon - Tool to extract individual tracks from one big audio file.
- Qtractor - An audio/MIDI multi-track sequencer application
- Kid3 - Audio files tagger
- See issue #6
- Nomacs — image viewer (QtDesktop)
- Photo — A fast, simple, good looking, yet powerful and highly configurable image viewer.
- Qiviewer - A Qt image viewer, designed to be fast and lightweight.
- Converseen — image converter and resizer
- Sir — Simple image resizer in qt4
- Screengrab — Screenshot application (QtDesktop)
- Scribus - A desktop publishing program
- Fotowall — A tool for rendering collages from photos or pictures
- Luminancehdr — graphical user interface application that aims to provide a workflow for HDR imaging
- Posterazor — PosteRazor cuts a raster image into pieces which can be printed and assembled to a poster.
- Trimage — A GUI based lossless image compressor.
- Avidemux-qt — A graphical tool to edit video (QtDesktop)
- ffdiaporama — Creation of videos sequences from images, titles, music
- hybrid-encoder — A very complete gui for video encoding.
- Shotcut - a free, open source, cross-platform video editor
- Feff - Qt frontend for FFmpeg.
- Juffed — text editor (QtDesktop)
- Tea — text editor with an ultimate small sizethat provides you hundreds of functions.
- Qedit — A modern, standalone and multi-purpose text editor.
- Vim-qt — An experimental Qt gui for Vim
- Texmaker — latex editor
- FocusWriter — A simple fullscreen word processor
- Qxmledit — A simple XML editor written in Qt4
- Lyx — An advanced WYSIWYM document processor & LaTeX front-end
- Arora — The original QtWebkit browser, development dead since May 2011
- Opera — Presto-based. Closed source, but very powerful.
- qupzilla — QtWebkit browser, really usable after 1.1.8.
- lightweight2 — Very small browser using Qt libraries
- Trojita - An IMAP email client
- Quassel — Daemon-based IRC client
- Psi — IM app (XMPP only; slow development)
- QutIM — IM app (XMPP + other protocols)
- Kadu — XMPP and Gadu-Gadu IM.
- Licq — Advanced graphical ICQ clone
- Andromeda — (QtDesktop)
- Qtfm — Tabbed FM with Bookmarks support
- Newbreeze — Fast and light-weight File Manager (Qt4)
- Hamsimanager — Hamsi Manager is a file manager, renamer, id3 tagger, information changer, ... tool.
- Double Commander — powerful double panel cross platform file manager, written in Object Pascal / Lazarus, which uses couple of toolkits for UI includes Qt
- peazip - Free, Open Source file and archive manager. Supports 7Z, ACE, ARC, CAB, ISO, PAQ, PEA, RAR, TAR, ZIP and many more archive formats.
- qterminal — terminal emulator (maintainer: pvanek, QtDesktop)
- qBittorrent — An advanced P2P bittorrent client.
- transmission-qt — Fast, easy, and free BitTorrent client.
- qtorrent — A Bittorrent Qt GUI
CD burning application
* Silicon Empire —set of tools to Burn, Copy, Backup, Manage your optical discs like CDs, DVDs and Blu-Rays. Dead link as of 2015/09/24
- qpdfview - A tabbed PDF viewer using the poppler library.
- PdfViewer - A simple program for viewing PDF files.
- Clipgrab — A video downloader and converter for YouTube, Veoh, DailyMotion, MyVideo,etc.
- Minitube —A native YouTube client in Qt. Watch YouTube videos without Flash Player.
- Qsopcast - A front-end to p2p TV sopcast
- Rssguard - RSS 0.92/1.0/2.0 & ATOM 1.0 feed reader (QtDesktop)
- Quiterss - A fast and light rss ,feed reader written in C++/Qt4
- weboob - Web Out Of Browsers provides several applications to interact with a lot of websites.
- qftp - A Qt client for FTP file transfer.
Online Storage & Data Backup
- LuckyBackup — Backup & Sync tool
- spideroak - Secure and consolidated free online backup, storage, access, sharing & sync tool for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
- ZNotes —Lightweight application for notes managment with simple interface
- Basqet — A note-taking application similar to Basket
- LoNote — A simple and fast note-taking application using Webkit engine and is written by PyQt.
- copyq -clipboard manager with searchable and editable history.
- TinyMount - is a little GUI tool for mount/unmount devices, using UDisks and Qt.
- keepassx - Cross platform password manager
- qpass - Easy to use password manager with built-in password generator
- ptbatterysystemtray — power management (QtDesktop)
- QBat — A small tool based on Qt4 to display battery stats in system tray
- Qlipper — clipboard manager (maintainer: pvanek, QtDesktop)
- Qps — Process manager. Development is dead.
- qxkb — keyboard layout/language switcher (QtDesktop)
- searchmonkey - A powerful GUI search utility for matching regex patterns
- recoll - Full text search tool based on Xapian backend.
- QGMailNotifier - A GMail notifier.
- Xgrabcolor - A basic color picker
- Top — windowed version of the console top command.
- Taskbar — a transparent taskbar to collect users favorite applications and run them in a simple click.
- Transparency — a set of transparent applications.
- Qx11grab - Qt4 applet for recording x11 windows with ffmpeg.
- kapow - Punch clock to track time spent on projects,
eBook Managers & Readers
- Calibre — Ebook management application.
- fbreader — An e-book reader for Linux
- coolreader3 — E-Book viewer for comfort reading (epub (non-DRM), fb2, txt, rtf, html, chm, tcr formats supported)
- avogadro - An advanced molecular editor
- SpeedCrunch —a fast, high precision and powerful desktop calculator.
- convertall - Unit conversion program
- mendeleydesktop —Academic software for managing and sharing research papers (desktop client).
- klatexformula —KLatexFormula is a program to easily get an image from a LaTeX formula .
- qtoctave — qt frontend for octave.
- LibreCAD — 2D-CAD application
- q4wine — GUI for Wine
- 2mandvd - DVD Authoring Maker In Linux Environment.
- dnetstats - Graphic monitor for the network. Show the network stats and the netmap
- lmms - The Linux MultiMedia Studio.
- musescore - A music score editor written in Qt
- mixxx - Digital DJ mixing software
- vidalia - Controller GUI for Tor
- traverso - Digital Audio Workstation with an innovative User Interface
- scantailor - Interactive post-processing tool for scanned pages
- Synkron - A folder synchronization tool
- coquillo - Edit metadata / tags of various audio formats like MP3, Ogg/Vorbis and FLAC.
- lrcshow-x - A lyrics plugins, supporting Amarok2, Qmmp, and other Linux Players with full dbus interface functions
- qpxtool - Open Source Solution which intends to give you access to all available Quality Checks
- kdiff3 — A file comparator/merge tool
- kchmviewer —A .chm files (MS HTML help file format) viewer .
- cuneiform-qt — Qt4-based GUI for Cuneiform OCR.
- qdvdauthor — 'Q' DVD-Author is a Qt-based DVD authoring suite.
- git-cola — A powerful GUI for Git.
- cdcat — CD/DVD/Media catalog software (Qt based).
- YaNMa — Yet another NetworkManager applet written in PyQt.
- Qcomicbook — A viewer for comic book archives
- Hugor loader - Hugor is a cross-platform port of the Hugo Engine eaning which you can load and play adventure games created with Kent Tessman’s Hugo authoring system.
- Nikki and the robots - futurisctic 2D platform adventure game.
- ColorCode - a free advanced MasterMind clone
- PEG-E - solitare game where you jump over pieces in order to remove them from the board.
- OpenGOO - a free and open port of World of goo.
- GLPeces - create different figures by putting together pieces like squares, triangles, rectangles, and others
- Chessx - operate on your collection of chess games in many ways: browse, edit, add, organize, analyze, etc.
- yabause-qt — A Sega Saturn emulator with Qt interface.
- CuteMupen - Mupen64plus (v2) frontend emulator for N64 roms
- bsnes — Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) emulator focused on accuracy.
- Gottet — A Qt4 tetris game
- Connectagram — A word unscrambling game
- Simsu — A basic Sudoku game
Needed applications/Qt alternatives
- Webcam application (I suggest[qtcam] http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/QtCAM?content=170897)
- Font viewer
- wifi/network connection mannager (I suggest qconnman)
- CD/USB ISO burner (like K3b)
- hex editor (For developers), see qhexedit2
- Mail client and/or the whole PIM suite