3rd party applications
Clone this wiki locally
Suggested 3rd party apps to complete Qt based "fully featured" desktop.
Note: if is the "QtDesktop" enlisted, the package is part of QtDesktop repository — prebuilt binary packages for openSUSE, Fedora, Mandriva.
- Smplayer — the original fully-featured Qt4/5 frontend for mplayer/mplayer2
- mpv - A media player based on MPlayer and mplayer2. It supports a wide variety of video file formats, audio and video codecs, and subtitle types.
- Vlc — Standalone media player
- QMPlay2 — It can plays all formats and stream supported by ffmpeg and libmodplug. It has integrated Youtube browser.
- Xt7-player — Xt7 is an mplayer gui that aims to be a complete interface to its tons of options coded keeping usability in mind.
- Cantata — Extremely featureful MPD client, with Qt4 and Qt5 interfaces.
- Clementine — modern music player and library organiser inspired by Amarok 1.4.
- YaRock — Modern Music Player with collection browser based on cover art.
- Tomahawk — The social media player.
- Musique — Music player with a clean and innovative interface.
- Qmmp — Audio-player, the user interface is similar to winamp or xmms.
- Quimup — A client for the Music Player Daemon (MPD) written in C++ and Qt
- qasmixer — sound mixer/volume handler (QtDesktop)
- EKO — EKO is a simple sound editor
- Flacon - Tool to extract individual tracks from one big audio file.
- Qtractor - An audio/MIDI multi-track sequencer application
- Kid3 - Audio files tagger
- See issue #6
- Nomacs — image viewer (QtDesktop)
- Photo — A fast, simple, good looking, yet powerful and highly configurable image viewer.
- Qiviewer - A Qt image viewer, designed to be fast and lightweight.
- Converseen — image converter and resizer
- Sir — Simple image resizer in qt4
- Screengrab — Screenshot application (QtDesktop)
- Scribus - A desktop publishing program
- Fotowall — A tool for rendering collages from photos or pictures
- Luminancehdr — graphical user interface application that aims to provide a workflow for HDR imaging
- Posterazor — PosteRazor cuts a raster image into pieces which can be printed and assembled to a poster.
- Trimage — A GUI based lossless image compressor.
- Avidemux-qt — A graphical tool to edit video (QtDesktop)
- ffdiaporama — Creation of videos sequences from images, titles, music
- hybrid-encoder — A very complete gui for video encoding.
- Shotcut - a free, open source, cross-platform video editor
- Feff - Qt frontend for FFmpeg.
- Juffed — text editor (QtDesktop)
- Tea — text editor with an ultimate small sizethat provides you hundreds of functions.
- Qedit — A modern, standalone and multi-purpose text editor.
- Vim-qt — An experimental Qt gui for Vim
- Texmaker — latex editor
- FocusWriter — A simple fullscreen word processor
- Qxmledit — A simple XML editor written in Qt4
- Lyx — An advanced WYSIWYM document processor & LaTeX front-end
- Arora — The original QtWebkit browser, development dead since May 2011
- Opera — Presto-based. Closed source, but very powerful.
- qupzilla — QtWebkit browser, really usable after 1.1.8.
- lightweight2 — Very small browser using Qt libraries
- Trojita - An IMAP email client
- Quassel — Daemon-based IRC client
- Psi — IM app (XMPP only; slow development)
- QutIM — IM app (XMPP + other protocols)
- Kadu — XMPP and Gadu-Gadu IM.
- Licq — Advanced graphical ICQ clone
- Andromeda — (QtDesktop)
- Qtfm — Tabbed FM with Bookmarks support
- Newbreeze — Fast and light-weight File Manager (Qt4)
- Hamsimanager — Hamsi Manager is a file manager, renamer, id3 tagger, information changer, ... tool.
- Double Commander — powerful double panel cross platform file manager, written in Object Pascal / Lazarus, which uses couple of toolkits for UI includes Qt
- peazip - Free, Open Source file and archive manager. Supports 7Z, ACE, ARC, CAB, ISO, PAQ, PEA, RAR, TAR, ZIP and many more archive formats.
- qterminal — terminal emulator (maintainer: pvanek, QtDesktop)
- qBittorrent — An advanced P2P bittorrent client.
- transmission-qt — Fast, easy, and free BitTorrent client.
- qtorrent — A Bittorrent Qt GUI
CD burning application
* Silicon Empire —set of tools to Burn, Copy, Backup, Manage your optical discs like CDs, DVDs and Blu-Rays. Dead link as of 2015/09/24
- qpdfview - A tabbed PDF viewer using the poppler library.
- PdfViewer - A simple program for viewing PDF files.
- Clipgrab — A video downloader and converter for YouTube, Veoh, DailyMotion, MyVideo,etc.
- Minitube —A native YouTube client in Qt. Watch YouTube videos without Flash Player.
- Qsopcast - A front-end to p2p TV sopcast
- Rssguard - RSS 0.92/1.0/2.0 & ATOM 1.0 feed reader (QtDesktop)
- Quiterss - A fast and light rss ,feed reader written in C++/Qt4
- weboob - Web Out Of Browsers provides several applications to interact with a lot of websites.
- qftp - A Qt client for FTP file transfer.
Online Storage & Data Backup
- LuckyBackup — Backup & Sync tool
- spideroak - Secure and consolidated free online backup, storage, access, sharing & sync tool for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
- ZNotes —Lightweight application for notes managment with simple interface
- Basqet — A note-taking application similar to Basket
- LoNote — A simple and fast note-taking application using Webkit engine and is written by PyQt.
- copyq -clipboard manager with searchable and editable history.
- TinyMount - is a little GUI tool for mount/unmount devices, using UDisks and Qt.
- keepassx - Cross platform password manager
- qpass - Easy to use password manager with built-in password generator
- ptbatterysystemtray — power management (QtDesktop)
- QBat — A small tool based on Qt4 to display battery stats in system tray
- Qlipper — clipboard manager (maintainer: pvanek, QtDesktop)
- Qps — Process manager. Development is dead.
- qxkb — keyboard layout/language switcher (QtDesktop)
- searchmonkey - A powerful GUI search utility for matching regex patterns
- recoll - Full text search tool based on Xapian backend.
- QGMailNotifier - A GMail notifier.
- Xgrabcolor - A basic color picker
- Top — windowed version of the console top command.
- Taskbar — a transparent taskbar to collect users favorite applications and run them in a simple click.
- Transparency — a set of transparent applications.
- Qx11grab - Qt4 applet for recording x11 windows with ffmpeg.
- kapow - Punch clock to track time spent on projects,
eBook Managers & Readers
- Calibre — Ebook management application.
- fbreader — An e-book reader for Linux
- coolreader3 — E-Book viewer for comfort reading (epub (non-DRM), fb2, txt, rtf, html, chm, tcr formats supported)
- avogadro - An advanced molecular editor
- SpeedCrunch —a fast, high precision and powerful desktop calculator.
- convertall - Unit conversion program
- mendeleydesktop —Academic software for managing and sharing research papers (desktop client).
- klatexformula —KLatexFormula is a program to easily get an image from a LaTeX formula .
- qtoctave — qt frontend for octave.
- LibreCAD — 2D-CAD application
- q4wine — GUI for Wine
- 2mandvd - DVD Authoring Maker In Linux Environment.
- dnetstats - Graphic monitor for the network. Show the network stats and the netmap
- lmms - The Linux MultiMedia Studio.
- musescore - A music score editor written in Qt
- mixxx - Digital DJ mixing software
- vidalia - Controller GUI for Tor
- traverso - Digital Audio Workstation with an innovative User Interface
- scantailor - Interactive post-processing tool for scanned pages
- Synkron - A folder synchronization tool
- coquillo - Edit metadata / tags of various audio formats like MP3, Ogg/Vorbis and FLAC.
- lrcshow-x - A lyrics plugins, supporting Amarok2, Qmmp, and other Linux Players with full dbus interface functions
- qpxtool - Open Source Solution which intends to give you access to all available Quality Checks
- kdiff3 — A file comparator/merge tool
- kchmviewer —A .chm files (MS HTML help file format) viewer .
- cuneiform-qt — Qt4-based GUI for Cuneiform OCR.
- qdvdauthor — 'Q' DVD-Author is a Qt-based DVD authoring suite.
- git-cola — A powerful GUI for Git.
- cdcat — CD/DVD/Media catalog software (Qt based).
- YaNMa — Yet another NetworkManager applet written in PyQt.
- Qcomicbook — A viewer for comic book archives
- Hugor loader - Hugor is a cross-platform port of the Hugo Engine eaning which you can load and play adventure games created with Kent Tessman’s Hugo authoring system.
- Nikki and the robots - futurisctic 2D platform adventure game.
- ColorCode - a free advanced MasterMind clone
- PEG-E - solitare game where you jump over pieces in order to remove them from the board.
- OpenGOO - a free and open port of World of goo.
- GLPeces - create different figures by putting together pieces like squares, triangles, rectangles, and others
- Chessx - operate on your collection of chess games in many ways: browse, edit, add, organize, analyze, etc.
- yabause-qt — A Sega Saturn emulator with Qt interface.
- CuteMupen - Mupen64plus (v2) frontend emulator for N64 roms
- bsnes — Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES) emulator focused on accuracy.
- Gottet — A Qt4 tetris game
- Connectagram — A word unscrambling game
- Simsu — A basic Sudoku game
Needed applications/Qt alternatives
- Webcam application (I suggest[qtcam] http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/QtCAM?content=170897)
- Font viewer
- wifi/network connection mannager (I suggest qconnman)
- CD/USB ISO burner (like K3b)
- hex editor (For developers), see qhexedit2
- Mail client and/or the whole PIM suite