The Apache Accumulo™ sorted, distributed key/value store is a robust, scalable, high performance data storage and retrieval system. Apache Accumulo is based on Google's BigTable design and is built on top of Apache Hadoop, Zookeeper, and Thrift. Apache Accumulo features a few novel improvements on the BigTable design in the form of cell-based access control and a server-side programming mechanism that can modify key/value pairs at various points in the data management process. Other notable improvements and feature are outlined here.
To install and run an Accumulo binary distribution, follow the install instructions.
Accumulo provides the following documentation :
- User Manual : In-depth developer and administrator documentation.
- Examples : Code with corresponding readme files that give step by step instructions for running example code.
This documentation is available on the Accumulo site. In the source and binary distributions of Accumulo, the documentation is at different locations.
In the Accumulo binary distribution, all documentation is in the
directory. The binary distribution does not include example source code, but
it does include a jar with the compiled examples. This examples jar makes it
easy to step through the example readmes, after following the install
In the Accumulo source, documentations is found at the following locations.
Accumulo uses Maven to compile, test, and package its source. The following command will build the binary tar.gz from source. Note, these instructions will not work for the Accumulo binary distribution as it does not include source.
mvn package -P assemble
This command produces a file at the following location.
This will not include documentation, adding the
-P docs option to the maven
command will build documentation.
The public Accumulo API is composed of :
- All public classes and interfaces in the org.apache.accumulo.core.client package, as as well as all of its subpackages excluding those named impl.
- Key, Mutation, Value, Range, Condition, and ConditionalMutation in org.apache.accumulo.core.data.
- All public classes and interfaces in the org.apache.accumulo.minicluster package, as well as all of its subpackages excluding those named impl.
- Anything with public or protected acccess within any Class or Interface that is in the public API. This includes, but is not limited to: methods, members classes, interfaces, and enums.
The Accumulo project maintains binary compatibility across this API within a major release, as defined in the Java Language Specification 3rd ed. Starting with Accumulo 1.6.2 and 1.7.0 all API changes will follow semver 2.0