Cloudlet: Infrastructure for Mobile Computing
A cloudlet is a new architectural element that arises from the convergence of
mobile computing and cloud computing. It represents the middle tier of a
3-tier hierarchy: mobile device - cloudlet - cloud. A cloudlet can be
viewed as a "data center in a box" whose goal is to "bring the cloud closer".
Copyright (C) 2011-2014 Carnegie Mellon University.
Please visit our website at Elijah Project for detail project information.
Before You Start
Please take a look at following two papers to understand our work better.
- The Case for VM-based Cloudlets in Mobile Computing: a position paper proposing the concept of the cloudlet.
- The Impact of Mobile Multimedia Applications on Data Center Consolidation: experimental results presenting how the cloudlet can make a difference.
Cloudlet Project Repository
####OpenStack++ and library project####
elijah-OpenStack: OpenStack extension for cloudlet ├── Code and UI for cloudlet OpenStack extension. │ Dependency on other cloudlet projects as below. │ ├── elijah-provisioning (since v1.0) │ ├─ Library for Cloudlet provisioning using VM synthesis │ ├─ Standalone server and client for VM provisioning │ └─ Paper: Just-in-Time Provisioning for Cyber Foraging │ ├── elijah-handoff (since v2.0) │ ├─ Library for achieving VM handoff across Cloudlets │ ├─ Adaptive VM live migration optimized for WAN │ └─ Under development (Will be released at 2015 summer). │ ├── elijah-discovery (since v2.0) │ ├─ Library for registration and Cloudlet query │ │ ├─ Resource monitor │ │ ├─ Cache monitor │ │ └─ Registration daemon │ │ │ ├─ Client library for discovery │ │ │ └─ Cloud-based discovery server (sources for findcloudlet.org) │ ├─ Registration Server │ └─ Custom DNS Server │ ..
####Applications leverging cloudlet####
- GigaSight: Scalable Crowd-Sourcing of Video from Mobile Devices
- QuiltView: A Crowd-Sourced Video Response System
- Gabriel: A Wearable Cognitive Assistance System
Recent publications are at http://elijah.cs.cmu.edu/publications.html