Sketch City Code of Conduct
####This is Sketch City's Code of Conduct
It is based on the Code for America code of conduct. We expect that all Sketch City activities and events:
- Are a safe and respectful environment for all participants.
- Are a place where people are free to fully express their identities without discrimination or harrassment.
- Presume the value of others. Everyone’s ideas, skills, and contributions have value.
- Don’t assume everyone has the same context, and encourage questions.
- Find a way for people to be productive with their skills (technical and not) and energy.
- Encourage members and participants to listen as much as they speak.
- Strive to build tools that are open and free technology for public use.
- Engage people and communities who are traditionally excluded or disenfranchised from the civic process.
- Encourage participation from underrepresented groups in technology, such as women and minorities.
- Actively involve community groups and those with subject matter expertise in the decision-making process.
- Ensure that the relationships and conversations between community members, government staff, and community partners remain respectful.
Sketch City reserves the right to ask anyone in violation of these policies not to participate in Sketch City events or activities.
####Sketch City's Anti-Harassment Policy
This anti-harassment policy is based on the example policy from the Geek Feminism wiki, created by the Ada Initiative and other volunteers.
This policy is based on several other policies, including the Ohio LinuxFest anti-harassment policy, written by Esther Filderman and Beth Lynn Eicher, and the Con Anti-Harassment Project. Mary Gardiner, Valerie Aurora, Sarah Smith, and Donna Benjamin generalized the policies and added supporting material. Many members of LinuxChix, Geek Feminism and other groups contributed to this work.
All Sketch City events and their staff, presenters, and participants are held to an anti-harassment policy, included below.
Sketch City is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, age, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of staff, presenters, or participants in any form. Sexual language and imagery is not appropriate for any Sketch City event or activity. Anyone in violation of these policies may expelled from Sketch City events or activities, at the discretion of the event organizers.
Harassment includes but is not limited to: offensive verbal or written comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion; sexual images in public spaces; deliberate intimidation; stalking; following; harassing photography or recording; sustained disruption of talks or other events; inappropriate physical contact; unwelcome sexual attention; unwarranted exclusion; and patronizing language or action.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the event organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender or expulsion from Sketch City events and activities.
If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a member of the event staff immediately. Event staff will be happy to help participants contact hotel/venue security or local law enforcement, provide escorts, or otherwise assist those experiencing harassment to feel safe for the duration of the event.
If you cannot reach an event organizer and/or it is an emergency, please call 911 and/or remove yourself from the situation.
You can contact Sketch City about harassment. Feel free to use the email template below. We value your attendance and hope that by communicating these expectations widely we can all enjoy a harassment-free environment.
####Email Template for Anti-Harassment Reporting
SUBJECT: Safe Space alert at [EVENT NAME]
I am writing because of harassment at a Sketch City event, (NAME, PLACE, DATE OF EVENT).
You can reach me at (CONTACT INFO). Thank you.