Analogous to the various *deep commands (md5deep, hasdeep...) this tool serves to create, verify and repair parity files in an entire directory hierarchy.
This tool will generate one parity file (plus a file for the recovery blocks) per file that you protect. This makes it simple to move files if you change your mind on how your file tree must be organized. Just move the
par2 files along.
I chose to use the old but well tested and well known
par2 program to base this tool on, instead of similar tools such as
rsbep or something like
pyFileFixity. Some recent forks of
par2 have added recursive scanning abilities, but they're generally not cross-platform.
par2deep to secure my photos and music across drives, machines and operating systems, and I intend to keep securing my data this way in the decades to come. I felt that the wide availability of the
par2 tool was my best bet.
Simply run the following:
$ python setup.py install
Or run directly with:
$ python par2deep
Alternatively, if you have installed the
cx_Freeze package, you can generate an msi package for Windows. Adapt
setup_cx.py to suit your needs (include the
par2 executable and, most importantly, the icon of your choice) and then build the
.msi file in
$ python setup_cx.py bdist_msi
After installation, run with
par2deep for the GUI or
par2deep-cli if you live in the terminal. Command line options may be enumerated by using the --help option. Note that
-q will update, fix or recreate parity files as it sees fit. If unrepairable damage is found, it will recreate parity data.
par2deep.ini file may be placed in the target directory or as
~/.par2deep defining all the commandline options. For the excludes, separate by comma.
excludes = [new, root] par_cmd = c:/sync/apps/par/par2.exe
par2in path or specify a tool with the same interface.
- 2018-05-30: v1.0.2. GUI updates: file doubleclick now checkes if string is file, added tooltips to GUI settings, and treeview category headers have a bit for info (nb of files in category). CLI updates: same par2deep import check as GUI.
- 2018-05-25: v1.0.1. Crossplatform doubleclick in treeview. Improved Windows par2 executable finding. New cx_Freeze installer script. Converted relative imports.
- 2016-08-20: Ensured par2 command is called correctly from Windows and other OS in GUI mode. Added NSIS installer script.
- 2016-08-12: Revamped tool. Reset to v1.0.0. Includes Tkinter gui. cli unchanged apart from cosmetics.
- 2016-08-07: Added optional config files, excludes, extensions, and parity completeness check.
- 2016-08-06: Program no longer maps to
par2commandline options but (loosely) to
hashdeeptools: run it, and see what has changed and needs to be done with respect to the previous run.
- 2016-03-22: Finish port to Python 3, added setup.py.
- 2016-03-19: Added quiet mode, keep backup files upon unsuccesful repair.
- 2016-03-17: First release