Data Analytics for Managers
A day-long workshop for civil servants to explore data-driven thinking and data analysis. Uses relevant examples from U.S. cities, open data and MS Excel to give students a taste of how analysts ask and answer questions using data and how policymakers apply those insights to real-life scenarios.
This course is primarily taught to NYC city employees through the NYC Department of Citywide Administrative Services, but is easily adapted to fit the organizational needs and relevant datasets for any organization or community.
Students will be able to:
- Define data analysis and apply analytical skills to their everyday work
- Consider data analysis as part of a larger organizational shift to data-informed decision making
- Begin analysis by asking appropriate questions
- Download a dataset from NYC Open Data Portal
- Explore and visualize a dataset in Microsoft Excel
- Interpret findings and test hypotheses
Data Analytics for Managers is meant to be shared, remixed and built upon! Slides are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. Let us know where you take this class next!