An alternative web client for Mastodon, focused on speed and simplicity.
For updates and support, follow us at @firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pinafore supports the latest versions of the following browsers:
Compatible versions of each (Opera, Brave, Samsung, etc.) should be fine.
Goals and non-goals
- Support the most common use cases
- Fast even on low-end phones
- Works offline in read-only mode
- Progressive Web App features
- Multi-instance support
- Support latest versions of Chrome, Edge, Firefox, and Safari
- a11y (keyboard navigation, screen readers)
Possible future goals
- Works as an alternative frontend self-hosted by instances
- Android/iOS apps (using Cordova or similar)
- Support Pleroma/non-Mastodon backends
- Offline search
- Full emoji keyboard
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Supporting old browsers, proxy browsers, or text-based browsers
- React Native / NativeScript / hybrid-native version
- Emoji support beyond the built-in system emoji
- Multi-column support
- Admin/moderation panel
- Works offline in read-write mode (would require sophisticated sync logic)
Pinafore requires Node.js v8+ and
To build Pinafore for production:
npm install npm run build PORT=4002 npm start
To build a docker image for production:
docker build . docker run -d -p 4002:4002 [your-image]
Now Pinafore is running at
To keep your version of Pinafore up to date, you can use
git to check out the latest tag:
git checkout $(git tag -l | sort -Vr | head -n 1)
Developing and testing
See CONTRIBUTING.md for how to run Pinafore in dev mode and run tests.
For a changelog, see the GitHub releases.