- Nested catalog of layers which can be independently enabled to create mashups of many layers.
- Supports GeoJSON, KML, CSV (point and region-mapped), GPX and CZML file types natively, and others including zipped shapefiles with an optional server-side conversion service.
- Supports WMS, WFS, Esri MapServer, ABS ITT, Bing Maps, OpenStreetMap-style raster tiles, Mapbox, Urthecast, and WMTS item types.
- Supports querying WMS, WFS, Esri MapServer, CSW, CKAN and Socrata services for groups of items.
- 3D globe (Cesium) or 2D mode (Leaflet). 3D objects supported in CZML format.
- Time dimensions supported for CSV, CZML, WMS. Automatically animate layers, or slide the time control forward and backward.
- Drag-and-drop files from your desktop to the browser, for instant visualisation (no file upload to server required).
- Wider range of file types supported through server-side OGR2OGR service (requires upload).
- All ASGS (Australian Statistical Geographic Standard) region types (LGA, SA2, commonwealth electoral district etc) supported for CSV region mapping, plus several others: Primary Health Networks, Statistical Local Areas, ISO 3 letter country codes, etc.
- Users can generate a reusable URL link of their current map view, to quickly share mashups of web-hosted data.
Who's using TerriaJS?
Sites developed by Data61
- National Map
- Northern Australia Investment Map
- NEII Viewer
- Global Risk Map
- Ground Water Visualisation System
- State of the Environment 2016
- ParlMap (authorisation required)
- GeoGLAM Rangeland and Pasture Productivity
- City of Sydney data explorer
Sites we're aware of that are using TerriaJS. These are not endorsements or testimonials.
- AURIN Map
- USGS Protected Areas database (beta)
- Innovisite France Beta
- USGS The National Map Advanced Viewer
- Portale del suolo
- Built in ECMAScript 2015, compiled with Babel to ES5.
- Supports IE9 and later. A few features require IE11+.
- TerriaJS Server component runs in NodeJS and provides proxying for web services that don't support CORS or require authentication.
- Dependencies are managed in NPM and assembled using WebPack.
The easiest way to build your own Terria-based map is using the TerriaMap starting point. This gives you the HTML structure, server and build processes you need to get a site up and running immediately.
Components and naming
- Terria™ is the overall name for the spatial data platform and the team that built TerriaJS.
- Cesium is the 3D WebGL rendering library used by TerriaJS, which provides many low-level functions for loading and displaying imagery and spatial formats such as GeoJSON and KML.
- TerriaMap is a complete website starting point, using TerriaJS.
- TerriaJS-Server is a NodeJS-based server that provides proxying and support services for TerriaJS.
- NationalMap is the flagship Terria deployment, and the origin of the TerriaJS library.
- Catalog Editor, an automatically generated web interface for creating and editing catalog (init) files.
- Generate-TerriaJS-Schema, a tool which automatically generates a schema for validating catalog files, and also the editor, by processing TerriaJS source code.
- TerriaMapStatic, a pre-built version of TerriaMap, which can be deployed as a static HTML website, such as on Github Pages.
Join the community
Get in touch!