Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Android SDK NDK Information
What to use
For Python 2: Check the section "Working SDK/NDK"; use Android SDK and NDK.
For Python 3:
- Method 1: you'll need to use Crystax NDK. However, on the latest version available, there is no way to get openssl and sqlite3 working. See https://github.com/kivy/python-for-android/pull/707 about it.
- Method 2 (ongoing): the PR https://github.com/kivy/python-for-android/pull/1412 introduce pure python 3 recipe without crystax. It currently works using NDK 14b and SDK 20/API 24 installed and used.
This is a list of Android SDK with some informations useful for us to track the issues with buildozer or python-for-android. There is one rule to know: never use latest SDK without newer NDK released; This is due that NDK have a directory per API (android-20, android-21 etc..); If you use latest SDK, NDK will not have the directory for it, therefore the compilation will not work.
- SDK 20: Current default for buildozer
- SDK 21/22 (TO FIX): New notification API, current python-for-android implementation doesn't work
- SDK 25: No more "android" tool, "sdkmanager" is the only entrypoint now for installating SDK. Both python-for-android and buildozer will not work.
- SDK 25.3.0: ant is removed. There is a branch "sdl2_gradle" that intent to have a bootstrap for sdl2 based on gradle.
Working SDK/NDK (KGS - Known Good Set)
- SDK 20 / NDK 9c
- SDK 20 / NDK 13b
- SDK 20 / CrystaX NDK 10.3.2
- SDK 20 / API 24 / NDK 14b / Python 3.7 (with PR https://github.com/kivy/python-for-android/pull/1412)
- SDK 20 / API 26 / NDK 15c / Python 3.7 (with PR https://github.com/kivy/python-for-android/pull/1412)
- SDK 24 / API 28 / NDK 17c / Python 2.7 (with PR https://github.com/kivy/python-for-android/pull/1381)