listmonk is alpha software and may change and break. Use with caution. That said, it has been in active use at zerodha.com for several months where it has processed hundreds of campaigns and tens of millions of e-mails.
listmonk is a standalone, self-hosted, newsletter and mailing list manager. It is fast, feature-rich, and packed into a single binary. It uses a PostgreSQL database as its data store.
Installation and use
- Download the latest release for your platform and extract the listmonk binary. For example:
tar -C $HOME/listmonk -xzf listmonk_$VERSION_$OS_$ARCH.tar.gz
- Navigate to the directory containing the binary (
cd $HOME/listmonk) and run
./listmonk --new-configto generate a sample
config.tomland add your configuration (SMTP and Postgres DB credentials primarily).
./listmonk --installto setup the DB.
- Since there is no user auth yet, it's best to put listmonk behind a proxy like Nginx and setup basicauth on all endpoints except for the few endpoints that need to be public. Here is a sample nginx config for production use.
Running on Docker
You can pull the official Docker Image from Docker Hub.
You can checkout the docker-compose.yml to get an idea of how to run
PostgreSQL together using Docker.
docker-compose up -d app dbto run all the services together.
docker-compose run --rm app ./listmonk --installto setup the DB.
Alternatively, to run a demo of listmonk, you can quickly spin up a container
docker-compose up -d demo-db demo-app. NOTE: This doesn't persist Postgres data after you stop and remove the container, this setup is intended only for demo. DO NOT use the demo setup in production.
Help and docs
Help and documentation (work in progress).
- Admin dashboard
- Multiple public and private lists
- Fast bulk subscriber import
- Custom subscriber attributes
- Subscriber querying and segmentation with ad-hoc SQL
- Rich Go templates and WYSIWYG editor
- Media gallery
- Multi-threaded multi-SMTP e-mail queues for fast campaign delivery
- HTTP/JSON APIs for everything
- Clicks and view tracking
- and more ...
- DB migrations
- Bounce tracking
- User auth, management, permissions
- Ability to write raw campaign logs to a target
- Analytics views and reports
- Better widgets on dashboard
listmonk is free, open source software licensed under AGPLv3. There are several essential features such as user auth/management and bounce tracking that are currently missing. Contributions are welcome.
The backend is written in Go and the frontend is in React with Ant Design for UI. See developer setup to get started.
listmonk is licensed under the AGPL v3 license.