This an extension for SQL Server Management Studio 2012, 2014, 2016, 17 and 18. It groups sql objects in Object Explorer (tables, views, etc.) into schema folders.
Source code, documentation and issues can be found at https://github.com/nicholas-ross/SSMS-Schema-Folders
This is a fork of SSMS2012Extender that adds support for SSMS 2014 and 2016.
You can download the latest version of SSMS for free from Microsoft.
You may need to unblock the zip file before extracting. Right click on the zip file in Windows Explorer and select Properties.
If you see an
Unblock button or checkbox then click it.
Extract the zip file and copy the folder into the SSMS extension folder. Remove or replace any previous version. Run the included reg file to skip the load error.
- 2012 -
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Extensions
- 2014 -
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Extensions
- 2016 -
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Extensions
- 17 -
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\140\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Extensions
- 18 -
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 18\Common7\IDE\Extensions
There are a few user options which change the style and behaviour of the schema folders.
Tools > Options > SQL Server Object Explorer > Schema Folders
- Append Dot - Add a dot after the schema name on the folder label.
- Clone Parent Node - Add the right click and connection properties of the parent node to the schema folder node.
- Use Object Icon - Use the icon of the child node as the folder icon. If false then use the parent node (i.e. folder) icon.
- Rename Node - Removes the schema name from the object node label.
Not running/No options
This happens when Windows security blocks running of dll files downloaded from the internet. Refer to the install instructions for the steps required to allow them to run.
The first time SSMS is run with the extension it will show an error message. Click 'No' and restart SSMS. The included reg file sets the same registry setting as when you click the no button. This should be fixed when there is official support for SSMS extensions.
Compatibility with other extensions
This extension moves nodes in the Object Explorer tree view. This could cause problems with other extensions that are not expecting it. At this point in time, I am not aware of any extensions where this is an issue. If you do have problems then let me know.
Please report any issues to https://github.com/nicholas-ross/SSMS-Schema-Folders/issues.
- Added support for v18.0 (preview 4).
- Auto expand schema node when only one.
- Improved performance.
- Added option to remove schema name from object node label.
- Fixed: Folder expanding wait time.
- Added support for v17.0 RC1.
- Show wait cursor while creating folders.
- Single deployable version for multiple SSMS versions.
- Fixed: Folder expanding wait time on single core cpu.
- Added user options.
- Fixed: Error when running multiple SSMS instances.
- Added output window pane for debug messages.
- Public beta release.