This repository is automatically built by two systems:
- The Travis build output is immediately deployed to gh-pages here: https://ros-planning.github.io/moveit_tutorials/
- The ROS build farm output is hosted here: http://docs.ros.org/kinetic/api/moveit_tutorials/html/
The tutorials use the reStructuredText format commonly used in the Sphinx "Python Documentation Generator". This unfortunately differs from the common Markdown format.
Travis Continuous Integration
indigo-devel branch should be considered for the most part "frozen" for historical reasons, and new changes to tutorials should be in the
If you want to test the tutorials by generating the html pages locally on your machine, install rosdoc_lite:
sudo apt-get install ros-kinetic-rosdoc-lite
and run in the root of the package:
rosdoc_lite -o build .
LOCAL_PACKAGE_PATH/build/html/index.html in your web browser.
For deploying documentation changes to the web, Section 3 of rosdoc_lite wiki says that "rosdoc_lite is automatically run for packages in repositories that have rosinstall files listed in the rosdistro repository." This is done about once every 24 hours, overnight.
We rely on the community to keep these tutorials up to date and bug free. If you find an issue with the tutorials please open an issue on GitHub or open a PR with proposed changes.
Formatting and Style
- These tutorials use the same style guidelines as the MoveIt! project. When modifying or adding to these tutorials, it is required that code is auto formatted using clang-format.
- Tutorials should exemplify best coding practices. If a contribution wouldn't pass review in the MoveIt! project, then it shouldn't pass review in the tutorials.
- Each tutorial should be focused on teaching the user one feature or interface within MoveIt!.
- Tutorials should flow from show to tell with videos and demos at the beginning followed by explanations.
- New tutorials should match the formatting, style and flow of existing tutorials whenever possible.
- Relevant code should be included and explained using the
- Irrelevant code should be excluded from the generated html using the
- Whenever possible, links should be created using the
extlinksdictionary defined in
- All demo code should be runnable from within the
- Python code should be run using
- Each tutorial should live in it's own subdirectory within the
- Tutorials should use the following directory structure omitting unnecessary files and subdirectories:
moveit_tutorials/doc/ └── <tutorial_name>/ ├── <tutorial_name>_tutorial.rst ├── CMakeLists.txt ├── package.xml ├── setup.py ├── images/ │ └── <tutorial_name>_<image_description>.png ├── include/ │ └── <tutorial_name>/ │ └── <include_header>.h # Any custom C++ library header files ├── launch/ │ └── <tutorial_name>_tutorial.launch ├── src/ │ ├── <tutorial_name>_tutorial.cpp # Main C++ executable │ ├── <include_source>.cpp # Custom C++ library source files │ └── <tutorial_name>/ │ ├── __init__.py │ ├── <tutorial_name>_tutorial.py # Main Python executable │ └── <python_library>.py # Custom Python libraries └── test/ # Ideally tutorials have their own integration tests ├── <tutorial_name>_tutorial.test # Launch file for tests ├── <tutorial_name>_tutorial_test.py # Python tests for tutorial └── <tutorial_name>_tutorial_test.cpp # C++ tests for tutorial