This repo hosts Seoul administrative division geodata in open formats that can be used to build static and interactive maps (e.g. with D3).
To see maps for South Korea, go to https://github.com/southkorea/southkorea-maps
Data is acquired from the following sources:
- KOSTAT: Administrative division geodata for Census (센서스용 행정구역경계), 2013
- JUSO: 서울시 행정구역 읍면동 위치정보, 2015
- JUSO: 서울시 행정구역 시군구 정보, 2015
Seoul administrative divisions are consisted of two levels:
- Municipalities (시군구): Si (시, city), Gun (군, county), Gu (구, district)
- Submunicipalities (읍면동): Eup (읍, town), Myeon (면, township), Dong (동, neighborhood), Ri (리, village)
- Precinct (선거구): TBA
The following data are available.
Numbers are data sizes in Kilobytes in the following order: Municipalities, Submunicipalities, Neighborhoods.
Numbers in parentheses are simplified versions of each format.
|Format \ Source||KOSTAT (2013)||JUSO (2015)|
|Shapefile||396, 1528, 0||604, 0, 2595|
|GeoJSON||772, 3000, 0
(44, 168, 0)
|1597, 0, 6899
(188, 0, 526)
|TopoJSON||112, 412, 0
(16, 96, 0)
|288, 0, 877
(91, 0, 187)
Download shapefiles from KOSTAT
Convert shapefiles to GeoJSON and TopoJSON
ogr2ogr -f geojson [geojson_file] [shapefile_file] topojson -p -o [topojson_file] -- [geojson_file]
Simplify GeoJSON and TopoJSON using MapShaper
- Municipalities: Visvalingam/weighted area, 5%
- Submunicipalities: Visvalingam/weighted area, 1%
For details, see https://github.com/southkorea/southkorea-maps#kostat-2012
Copyright and License
- Lucy Park (http://lucypark.kr)
- Apache v2.0