Variety is a wallpaper manager for Linux systems. It supports numerous desktops and wallpaper sources, including local files and online services: Flickr, Wallhaven, Unsplash, and more.
Where supported, Variety sits as a tray icon to allow easy pausing and resuming. Otherwise, its desktop entry menu provides a similar set of options.
Variety also includes a range of image effects, such as oil painting and blur, as well as options to layer quotes and a clock onto the background.
As a system package
Variety is available in the distro repositories of:
Variety backports to older Ubuntu releases are available at https://launchpad.net/~variety/+archive/ubuntu/stable (a NEW location as of April 2019).
Install from source
To install Variety from source, you will need Git, Python 3.5+ and distutils-extra. To actually run Variety, you will also need the following:
- GTK+ 3
- Python 3 libraries:
- PyGObject, built with Cairo integration
- pkg_resources (from setuptools)
- Optional: httplib2 (for more quotes sources)
- Optional: imagemagick (for wallpaper filters)
- Optional: feh or nitrogen: used by default to set wallpapers on i3, openbox, and other WMs
- Optional: libayatana-indicator (for AppIndicator support)
- Optional: for tray icon support on GNOME, the GNOME AppIndicator extension
debian/control for an equivalent list of runtime dependencies on Debian/Ubuntu.
Clone the git repository:
git clone https://github.com/varietywalls/variety.git && cd variety
python3 setup.py install. By default, this will install Variety into
/usr/local; for a local installation, use
python3 setup.py install --prefix $HOME/.local.
varietyfrom the command line or its desktop menu entry!