WebP file format plug-in for Photoshop
Current plug-in version: WebPShop 0.4.1
WebPShop is a Photoshop module for opening and saving WebP images, including animations.
Please look at the files LICENSE and CONTRIBUTING in the "docs" folder before using the contents of this repository or contributing.
Download the binary at https://github.com/webmproject/WebPShop/releases.
Direct link for Windows x64: https://github.com/webmproject/WebPShop/releases/download/v0.4.0/WebPShop_0_4_0_Win_x64.8bi
Direct link for MacOS (extract the ZIP archive afterwise): https://github.com/webmproject/WebPShop/releases/download/v0.4.0/WebPShop_0_4_0_Mac_Universal.zip
Move the plug-in (the .8bi binary for Windows or the .plugin folder for MacOS) to the Photoshop plug-in directory (
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2022\Plug-ins\ for Windows,
Applications/Adobe Photoshop/Plug-ins/ for Mac). Run Photoshop.
On macOS 10.15+, the prompt "WebPShop.plugin cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified" can be bypassed by running the following in Terminal (Finder > Applications > Utilities):
sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Adobe\ Photoshop\ 2022/Plug-ins/WebPShop.plugin
Current libwebp version: WebP 1.2.1
Use Microsoft Visual Studio (2019 and above) for Windows and XCode for Mac.
- Download the latest Adobe Photoshop Plug-In and Connection SDK at https://console.adobe.io/downloads/ps,
- Put the contents of this repository in a "webpshop" folder located at
- Download the latest WebP binaries at https://developers.google.com/speed/webp/docs/precompiled or build them,
path/to/webp/includes/srcas Additional Include Directories to the WebPShop project ,
- Add webp, webpdemux, webpmux libraries as Additional Dependencies to the WebPShop project ,
- Build with the same architecture and configuration as your Photoshop installation and the WebP binaries (x64 or arm64, Debug/Release),
- By example for Windows, it should output the plug-in file
 By default the XCode project includes and links to the
libwebp-[version]-mac-[version] folder in the
webpshop directory. The VS
Open Asmenu commands can be used to read .webp files.
Save Asmenu commands can be used to write .webp files. Encoding parameters can be tuned through the UI.
For information, the quality slider maps the following ranges to their internal WebP counterparts (see SetWebPConfig() in WebPShopEncodeUtils.cpp):
| Quality slider value -> | 0 ... 97 | 98 99 | 100 | |---------------------------|----------------|---------------|----------| | WebP encoding settings -> | Lossy, quality | Near-lossless | Lossless | | | 0 ... 100 | 60 80 | |
The radio buttons offer several levels of compression effort:
| Label | WebP speed setting | Sharp YUV | WebP "quality" setting | | | | (lossy only) | (except for lossy) | |---------|---------------------|--------------|------------------------| | Fastest | 1 | No | 0 | | Default | 4 | No | 75 | | Slowest | 6 | Yes | 100 |
- Only English is currently supported.
- Only "RGB Color" image mode is currently supported.
- 16 and 32 bits/channels are downscaled to 8 bits/channels before the WebP encoding because WebP only supports 8-bit internally. Exports from 32-bit documents should include the color profile in the WebP encoding settings, otherwise they might appear darker than expected.
- WebP images cannot exceed 16383 x 16383 pixels.
- The Timeline data is not used; thus animations rely on layers for defining frames (set duration as "(123 ms)" in each layer's name), and they need to be rasterized before saving.
- On some images, lossless compression might produce smaller file sizes than lossy. That's why the quality slider is not linear. The same problem exists with the radio buttons controlling the compression effort.
- The color profile is always applied to the Preview image on Windows and never applied on macOS, regardless of the related checkbox state.
- This plug-in does not extend
Save for Web.
- Encoding and decoding are done in a single pass. It is not currently possible to cancel such actions, and it might take some time on big images.
- Only the latest Photoshop release is supported.
If the plug-in is not detected or does not behave as expected, the steps below might help:
Update Photoshop to the latest version.
Double-check that the plug-in binaries match the Operating System and the architecture.
The plug-in should be listed in the "Help > About Plug-In" submenu if it is found by Photoshop.
If it is undetected, disable any antivirus program or allow the plug-in execution (including in MacOS and Windows built-in protections).
If it is still undetected, try each of these folders (Windows paths):
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\CC\File Formats C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2022\Plug-ins
If it is still undetected, remove all plug-ins from all folders and copy WebPShop in only one of these folders, in case there is a plug-in conflict. Restart the computer and/or Photoshop.
If it is detected but there is no WebP entry in the Save menu, check that WebP files can be at least opened (find one online such as this one: https://www.gstatic.com/webp/gallery/4.sm.webp). The issue might come from unsupported encoding settings, see the limitations above.
If the issue still occurs, check https://github.com/webmproject/WebPShop/issues to see if it is already mentioned or open a new bug report otherwise.
common folder contains the following:
WebPShop.his the main header, containing most functions.
WebPShop.cppcontains the plug-in entry point (called by host).
WebPShopTerminology.hrepresent the plug-in properties.
- Functions in
WebPShopSelector*are called in
WebPShop*Utils.cppare helper functions.
WebPShopScripting.cppis mostly used for automation.
WebPShopUI*display the encoding parameters window and the About box.
win folder contains a Visual Studio solution and project, alongside with
WebPShop.rc which is the encoding parameters window layout and About box.
mac folder contains an XCode project.
describe the UI layout, while
WebPShopUI_mac.mm handles the window events.