- We're hiring: Countly is looking for full stack devs (remote work). Click this link for job description
- Slack user? Join our Slack community
- Questions? Ask in our Community forum
Countly is an innovative, real-time, open source mobile & web analytics, push notifications and crash reporting platform powering more than 2500 web sites and 12000 mobile applications. It collects data from mobile phones, tablets, Apple Watch and other internet-connected devices, and visualizes this information to analyze mobile application usage and end-user behavior.
There are two parts of Countly: the server that collects and analyzes data, and an SDK (mobile, web or desktop) that sends this data. This repository includes Countly Community Edition (server side). For more information other versions (e.g Enterprise Edition), see comparison of different Countly editions
Click on the below image for a 1 minute video introduction to Countly (opens Youtube);
What is included?
This repository includes server-side part of Countly, with following features:
- Complete dashboard user interface
- User, application and permission management
- Read / write APIs
- Plugin based system
- Analytics features for mobile, web and desktop
- Push notifications for iOS & Android
- Email reporting
What can Countly track?
Countly supports top-notch devices, including iOS, Android, Windows Phone and web apps. You can find a list of official and community supported Countly SDK libraries here. Each SDK has its own installation instructions.
- MongoDB One of the most popular NoSQL databases
- Express.js Popular Node.js web application framework
- Linux What we love using ;-)
Plus lots of open source libraries!
We take security very seriously at Countly. Community Edition code is 100% open source and peer reviewed, to ensure nobody's Countly instance is ever compromised or hacked. If you wish to report a security issue, please email email@example.com
What makes Countly unique?
Countly is a privacy-focused and 360-degree analytics approach with several, unique values:
- Real-time mobile analytics, web analytics and push notifications.
- Your data, your rules - since you can install Countly on your own server, or let us do the private cloud installations for you.
- Configurable and extensible via open source plugins.
- Modern and easy to use web dashboard with a focus on user experience, helping to get complex insights easily.
- Tracking more than 2500 web sites and 12000 mobile applications.
- Collecting more than 60 billion datapoints worlwide.
Differences between Community Edition & Enterprise Edition
- Audience: Community Edition is for product managers, developers and analytics enthusiasts, whereas banks, operators, hospitals and businesses that run the world's leading websites choose Enterprise Edition.
- Deployment: Community Edition deployments are for environments where the information stored is not critical since it does not include professional assistance. You must have a qualified technician. Enterprise Edition is for corporate environments that require availability and reliability where intellectual capital is critical.
- Technology: Community Edition has a number of limitations, including no corporate support for sharding, replica sets or installation.
- Guarantee: Community Edition is on the bleeding edge regarding version upgrades and with no bugfix guarantee. Enterprise Edition has bugfix guarantee, immediate resolution, verified builds, on-site and automatic version upgrades.
- Features: Enterprise Edition has more features compared to Countly, with a focus on end-to-end analytics and marketing platform.
Installing & upgrading Countly server
We develop and test Countly on MongoDB, Node.js and Nginx. Installation script only needs a clean, decent Ubuntu/CentOS/RHEL Linux without any services listening to port 80 or 443 (which should also be not blocked), and takes care of every library and software required to be installed on Linux.
There are several ways to install Countly:
The following command will download and install Countly on your Ubuntu or CentOS server.
wget -qO- http://c.ly/install | bash
If you have a Digital Ocean account, click here and install on Digital Ocean with a single click.
For bash lovers, we provide a beautiful installation script (
bin/countly.install.sh) in countly-server package which installs everything required to run Countly Server. For this, you need a stable release of this repository available here.
If you want to upgrade Countly from a previous version, please take a look at upgrading documentation.
API & Frontend
Countly has a well defined API, that reads from or writes to Node.js. Dashboard is built using this API, so it's possible to fetch any kind of information from Node process directly using Countly API. For those who are interested with building their own dashboard; important files are:
frontend/express/app.js, Countly dashboard that runs on Express server
countly.session.js, responsible for calculating session related metrics and
api/api.js, which is Countly write and read API.
Extensibility & plugins
How can I help you with your efforts?
- Fork this repo
- Create your feature branch (
git checkout -b my-new-super-feature)
- Commit your changes (
git commit -am 'Add some cool feature')
- Push to the branch (
git push origin my-new-super-feature)
- Create a new pull request
Also, you are encouraged to read an extended contribution section on how to contribute to Countly
And, if you liked Countly, why not use one of our badges and give a link back to us, so others know about this wonderful platform?
- General product information
- Questions? Ask our forum
- Watch training videos on Youtube
- Slack user? Come chat with us
- Documentation & API reference guide
- Comparison of Countly editions
- White labeling & rebranding options
- Extended list of Enterprise Edition features, including referral analytics, user profiles, geolocations with push, detailed segmentation, funnels, real-time dashboard and more.