SHTOOLS/pysthools is a Fortran-95/Python library that can be used to perform spherical harmonic transforms and reconstructions, multitaper spectral analyses on the sphere, expansions of functions into Slepian bases, and standard operations on global gravitational and magnetic field data.
A wide range of supported spherical harmonic functions:
- real and complex,
- all standard normalizations (Geodesy 4π, Schmidt semi-normalized, orthonormalized, unnormalized),
- Condon-Shortley phase factor of (-1)m.
Clean implementation of the spherical harmonic transforms:
- exact quadrature rules using the sampling theorem of Driscoll and Healy (1994) or Gauss-Legendre quadrature,
- accurate and fast to approximately degree 2800,
- Fortran 95 routines are OpenMP compatible and OpenMP thread-safe.
Selected applications and routines:
- global spectral analysis, spherical harmonic rotations, Wigner 3j symbols,
- localized multitaper spectral analyses, expansions in Slepian basis functions, spherical harmonic coupling matrices,
- standard gravity and magnetic field calculations, computation of the geoid, finite-amplitude potential from topography.
SHTOOLS is open source software (3-clause BSD license).
pyshtools for Python
Binary install for linux/macOS/windows:
pip install pyshtools
Build from source:
pip install pyshtools --no-binary pyshtools
pyshtools for Anaconda Python
Install fftw3 with fortran bindings and then install pyshtools using
conda install -c eumetsat fftw3 pip install pyshtools
pyshtools for Python (developer install)
sudo apt-get install libblas-dev liblapack-dev g++ gfortran libfftw3-dev tcsh
brew install fftw
To install the develop branch use:
pip install git+https://github.com/SHTOOLS/SHTOOLS@develop
Alternatively, clone the shtools repo
git clone https://github.com/SHTOOLS/SHTOOLS.git
and then execute one of the following commands in the shtools directory:
pip install . # installs into the active python environment lib folder pip install -v -e . # installs into the SHTOOLS/pyshtools folder and links to the active python environment
Clone the shtools repo, and then execute one of the following commands in the shtools directory:
make fortran make fortran-mp # OpenMP Fortran routines
Or use the brew package manager (macOS):
brew tap shtools/shtools brew install shtools brew install shtools --with-openmp # to install shtools with the OpenMP components.
HOW TO USE
SHTOOLS can be invoked in any Fortran 95 or Python program. The core software is written in Fortran 95, and Python wrappers allow simple access to the fortran-compiled routines. A variety of Python notebooks and example files are included that demonstrate the major features of the library.
To get started, check out the following Python tutorial notebooks:
- Introduction 1: Grids and Spherical Harmonic Coefficients
- Introduction 2: Localization Windows and Spectral Analysis
- Introduction 3: Gravity and Magnetic Fields fields
We work on the
develop branch and only push releases to
master. Please base all pull requests on
Mark A. Wieczorek and Matthias Meschede (2018). SHTools --- Tools for working with spherical harmonics, Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems, doi:10.1029/2018GC007529.