cocos2d-x is a multi-platform framework for building 2d games, interactive books, demos and other graphical applications. It is based on cocos2d-iphone, but instead of using Objective-C, it uses C++. It works on iOS, Android, Windows Phone and Store Apps, OS X, Windows and Linux.
- Easy to use
- Community Supported
Git user attention
Clone the repo from GitHub.
$ git clone https://github.com/cocos2d/cocos2d-x.git
After cloning the repo, please execute
download-deps.pyto download and install dependencies.
$ cd cocos2d-x cocos2d-x $ python download-deps.py
cocos2d-x $ git submodule update --init
How to start a new game
- Download the code from cocos2d download site
- Run the
$ cd cocos2d-x $ ./setup.py $ source FILE_TO_SAVE_SYSTEM_VARIABLE $ cocos new MyGame -p com.your_company.mygame -l cpp -d NEW_PROJECTS_DIR $ cd NEW_PROJECTS_DIR/MyGame
Build and run a new project for Android
$ cocos run -p android -j 4
Build and run a new project for iOS
$ cocos run -p ios
Build and run a new project for OSX
$ cocos run -p mac
Build and run a new project for Linux
if you never run cocos2d-x on Linux, you need to install all dependencies by the script in cocos2d/build/install-deps-linux.sh
$ cd cocos2d-x/build $ ./install-deps-linux.sh
$ cd NEW_PROJECTS_DIR/MyGame $ cocos run -p linux
Build and run new project for win32
$ cocos run -p win32
Build and run new project for Windows 8.1/10.0 and Windows Phone 8.1/10.0
$ cocos new MyGame -p com.your_company.mygame -l cpp -d projects
Visual Studio 2013 Update 4 or later is required for Windows 8.1 Universal Apps
Visual Studio 2015 RC and Windows 10.0 (build 10074 or higher) is required for Windows 10.0 UWP Apps
Starting with Cocos2d-x v3.3, you can create Windows 8.1 Universal Apps (Windows Store and Windows Phone 8.1). Starting with Cocos2d-x v3.6 you can create Windows 10.0 UWP Apps (Windows Store and Windows Phone 10.0). Starting with Cocos2d-x v3.6 there will no longer be support for Windows Phone 8.0.
See more info on How to install and Create games on Windows RT (Windows and Windows Phone 8.1) at http://msopentech.github.io/cocos2d-x/
- Scene management (workflow)
- Transitions between scenes
- Sprites and Sprite Sheets
- Effects: Lens, Ripple, Waves, Liquid, etc.
- Actions (behaviours):
- Trasformation Actions: Move, Rotate, Scale, Fade, Tint, etc.
- Composable actions: Sequence, Spawn, Repeat, Reverse
- Ease Actions: Exp, Sin, Cubic, Elastic, etc.
- Misc actions: CallFunc, OrbitCamera, Follow, Tween
- Basic menus and buttons
- Integrated with physics engines: Box2d and Chipmunk
- Particle system
- Skeleton Animations: Spine and Armature support
- Fast font rendering using Fixed and Variable width fonts
- Support for .ttf fonts
- Tile Map support: Orthogonal, Isometric and Hexagonal
- Parallax scrolling
- Motion Streak
- Render To Texture
- Touch/Accelerometer on mobile devices
- Touch/Mouse/Keyboard on desktop
- Sound Engine support (CocosDenshion library) based on OpenAL
- Integrated Slow motion/Fast forward
- Fast and compressed textures: PVR compressed and uncompressed textures, ETC1 compressed textures, and more
- Resolution Independent
- Open Source Commercial Friendly(MIT): Compatible with open and closed source projects
- OpenGL ES 2.0 (mobile) / OpenGL 2.1 (desktop) based
- Mac OS X 10.7+, Xcode 5.1+
- or Ubuntu 12.10+, CMake 2.6+
- or Windows 7+, VS 2013+
- Python 2.7.5
- NDK r10c+ is required to build Android games
- Windows Phone/Store 8.0 VS 2013+
- Windows Phone/Store 8.1 VS 2013 Update 3+
- iOS 5.0+ for iPhone / iPad games
- Android 2.3+ for Android games
- Windows 8.1 for Windows Phone/Store 8.1 games
- Windows 10.0 for Windows Phone/Store 10.0 games
- OS X v10.6+ for Mac games
- Windows 7+ for Win games
Select the test you want from Xcode Scheme chooser.
- For OS X / iOS
$ cd cocos2d-x/build $ open cocos2d_tests.xcodeproj
- For Linux
$ cd cocos2d-x/build $ ./install-deps-linux.sh $ cmake .. $ make
$ bin/cpp-empty-test/cpp-empty-test or $ bin/lua-empty-test/lua-empty-test
You may meet building errors when building libGLFW.so. It is because libGL.so directs to an error target, you should make it to direct to a correct one. `install-deps-linux.sh` only has to be run once.
- For Windows
- For Windows 8.1 Universal Apps (Phone and Store)
- For Android
$ cd cocos2d-x/build $ python ./android-build.py cpp-empty-test -p 10 $ adb install ../tests/cpp-empty-test/proj.android/bin/CppEmptyTest-debug.apk
Then click item on Android device to run tests. Available value of
-p is the API level, cocos2d-x supports from level 10.
Contributing to the Project
Did you find a bug? Do you have feature request? Do you want to merge a feature?