SOFA is an open source framework primarily targeted at real-time simulation,
with an emphasis on medical simulation.
It is mainly intended for the research community to help foster newer algorithms, but can also be used as an efficient prototyping tool.
SOFA's advanced software architecture allows:
(1) the creation of complex and evolving simulations by combining new algorithms with existing algorithms;
(2) the modification of key parameters of the simulation such as deformable behavior, surface representation, solvers, constraints, collision algorithm, etc. by simply editing an XML file;
(3) the synthesis of complex models from simpler ones using a scene-graph description;
(4) the efficient simulation of the dynamics of interacting objects using abstract equation solvers; and
(5) the comparison of various algorithms available in SOFA.
For up-to-date instructions, please refer to the SOFA documentation:
The SOFA community will be pleased to welcome you!
Find all the ways to get involved here: https://www.sofa-framework.org/community/get-involved/
Before creating any issue or pull request, please read carefully our CONTRIBUTING rules.
SOFA is LGPL, except:
- applications/projects (GPL)
- applications/sofa (GPL)
- applications/tutorials (GPL)
- applications/plugins/OptiTrackNatNet (GPL)
- applications/plugins/SofaPML (GPL)
- applications/plugins/Registration (QPL)
- sub-directories with a license file specifying a different license
LGPL refers to the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
GPL refers to the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
SOFA, Simulation Open-Framework Architecture
(c) 2006 INRIA, USTL, UJF, CNRS, MGH