WARNING: Ethermint is under VERY ACTIVE DEVELOPMENT and should be treated as pre-alpha software. This means it is not meant to be run in production, its APIs are subject to change without warning and should not be relied upon, and it should not be used to hold any value. We will remove this warning when we have a release that is stable, secure, and properly tested.
What is it?
ethermint will be an implementation of the EVM that runs on top of
tendermint consensus, a Proof of Stake system. This project has as its primary goals:
- Hard Spoon enablement: This is the ability to take a token from the Ethereum mainnet and "spoon" (shift) the balances over to another network. This feature is intended to make it easy for applications that require more transactions than the Ethereum main chain can provide to move their code over to a compatible chain with much more capacity.
- Web3 Compatibility: In order enable applications to be moved over to an ethermint chain existing tooling (i.e. web3 compatable clients) need to be able to interact with
- Have a working implementation that can parse and validate the existing ETH Chain and persist it in a Tendermint store
- Benchmark this implementation to ensure performance
- Allow the Ethermint EVM to interact with other Cosmos SDK modules
- Implement the Web3 APIs as a Cosmos Light Client for Ethermint
- Ethermint is a full Cosmos SDK application and can be deployed as it's own zone
To build, execute the following commands:
# To build the binary and put the results in ./build $ make tools deps build # To build the project and install it in $GOBIN $ make tools deps install
Using Ethermint to parse Mainnet Ethereum blocks
There is an included Ethereum Mainnet blockchain file in
data/blockchain that provides an easy way to run the demo of parsing Mainnet Ethereum blocks. The dump in
data/ only includes up to block
97638. To run this, type the following command:
$ go run test/run.go
By default, state will be dumped into
--help for further usage.
The following chat channels and forums are a great spot to ask questions about Ethermint:
- Cosmos Riot Chat Channel
- Cosmos Forum