Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Plugin Quick Start
THIS PAGE IS OUTDATED, PLEASE CHECK THE README AT https://github.com/gephi/gephi-plugins
This HowTo covers how to get started with Gephi plugin development. Make sure you have Git and GitHub set up before starting.
Checkout the gephi-plugins code
We prepared an out of the box development environment on the gephi-plugins repository on GitHub. Once downloaded it doesn't need anything else to run a development version of Gephi. Fork the project on GitHUb and clone the repository (replace username with your login):
git clone email@example.com:username/gephi-plugins.git
Now you can open the project in Netbeans. Gephi development happens in Netbeans because Gephi is based on the awesome Netbeans Platform. The gephi-plugins folder is automatically recognized when opening a project in Netbeans. Right click on the project and select Run to start Gephi.
You can also run Gephi from the command-line using the
ant run command.
Create a plugin
- In Netbeans, expand the Gephi Plugins project and right-click on Modules. Select Add New...
- Enter the plugin name: MyFirstPlugin and click Next.
- In the next panel, enter a unique codebase name, for instance org.myname.myfirstplugin and click Finish.
- In the Netbeans Project tree, you should see now your module MyFirstPlugin. Expand it to find its Source Package. Here you will place your code.
New module Step 1
New module Step 2
New module in the Projects tree
You created a plugin, which doesn't do anything for the moment. When you build Gephi, your plugin is now fully integrated. It appears in the Plugin Center (Tools > Plugin).
Brand your plugin
- Right-click on your plugin project MyFirstPlugin and select Properties.
- Select Display on the left panel and fill Display Category, Short Description and Long Description.
- Select Packaging on the left panel and fill License, Homepage (if exists) and Author information.
- Click on OK to validate changes.
Branding Step 1
Branding Step 2
Distribute your plugin
When you successfully tested your plugin, it's time to create a release.
- Right-click on the project and select Package As and then NMBs.
- Go to the build folder and find the created plugin-release.zip file. Individual NBM files (one per each module) are packaged in this zip.
Now you can publish you plugin on the Gephi Marketplace.