Osmic (OSM Icons)
A collection of 150+ clean high quality SVG map icons licensed under CC0 (Public Domain) and also available as icon font, which is licensed under SIL OFL. Below you see a possible preview (these are 2x the original size).
Icons are heavily inspired by
- Maki (mapbox/maki)
- Nori (as referenced in hotosm/HDM-CartoCSS)
- Open-SVG-Map-Icons (twain47/Open-SVG-Map-Icons)
All icons should adhere to the following features
- flat (single colour, no gradients, no outlines)
- clean (reduced complexity where possible)
- sharp (aligned to pixel grid)
- single point of view (avoid use of perspective where possible)
- common canvas size
- avoid Inkscape specific code, use plain SVG
- no groups, one path
- invsibile background rectangle spanning the whole canvas to avoid up-/downscaling of the shape alone when using
All icons use a canvas base size of 14px. Where required there exist several versions that are varying in size and amount of detail. The size is indicated by appending the pixel value to the icon name (e.g. hospital-14.svg).
Create a customised collection
With the Python export script (tools/export.py) the appearance of the icons can be customised. You can
- specify which icons should be included in or be excluded from the export
- add padding
- add halos
- add shields
- re-colour icons
- create icon sprites
- export as SVG, PNG or icon font
by changing a YAML configuration file.
Have a look at the export guide for more details.
- OpenStreetMap standard tile layer: Icons from this collection form a major part of the style's icons.
- Overpass Turbo: Osmic is part of the available icon collections in the MapCSS feature.
- Osmic JOSM style: A MapCSS style displaying icons from Osmic for JOSM. Some icons are also used in the JOSM standard style.
How to contribute
Contributions are welcome, please have a look at this guide.