Getting Started with HydraBus
The HydraBus (hardware) with HydraFW (firmware) are used as an open source multi-tool for anyone interested in learning/developping/debugging/hacking/Penetration Testing for basic or advanced embedded hardware.
The MCU is one of the fastest Cortex M4F on the market and is more than 40X faster than an Arduino (STM32F415, 32bits@168MHz=210DMIPS vs Arduino Uno, 8bits@16MHz=5.2DMIPS).
HydraBus can be also used as Test Bench for hardware validation/test with help of embedded python script or native C/C++ firmware and it is a perfect tool for hardware pentesting.
HydraBus is evolutive with the help of “Shield” hardware extensions:
- NFC 13.56MHz Shield (Reader/Programmer/Emulation...) see HydraNFC Shield v2
- LIN / Dual CAN Bus Shield see HydraLINCAN
- 8bit Nand Flash (Reader/Programmer) Shield see HydraFlash (see also https://github.com/hydrabus/DumpFlash-Hydrabus)
- SPI/I2C SOIC8 EEPROM (Reader/Programmer) Shield see HydraEEPROM
- HydraBus v1.0 Shield / Breakout board for ESP-WROOM-32 (ESP32) HydraESP32
HydraBus use cases:
Communicate with multiple protocols/hardware:
Python scripting using the Binary mode
Save/Read data to/from micro SD card
USB OTG port ...
Video related to HydraBus / HydraNFC:
- HydraBus Assembly Video
- HydraNFC Getting Started Video
- HydraBus / HydraNFC unboxing & Assembly Video
Press/Blogs related to HydraBus/HydraNFC:
- 31 Mar 2021 TrendMicro articles about LoRaWAN security in 3 parts (TrendMicro/Sebastien Dudek)
- 29 Aug 2020 Read & Fuzz contactless smart cards with HydraNFC v2 (Part 2) (Guillaume Vinet)
- 29 Aug 2020 Read & Fuzz contactless smart cards with HydraNFC v2 (Part 1) (Guillaume Vinet)
- 13 Oct 2019 PC to GBA interface -- Part 1 (Ark444)
- 31 Jul 2019 SWD part 2 : the MEM-AP (Nicolas Oberli)
- 16 May 2019 SWD – ARM’s alternative to JTAG (Nicolas Oberli)
- 19 Dec 2018 Ph0wn, my first IoT CTF - Part 3 using HydraBus (Sebastien Andrivet)
- 24 Oct 2018 - Hackaday building-a-proof-of-concept-hardware-implant
- 23 Oct 2018 - kudelskisecurity build-your-own-hardware-implant
- 8 Oct 2018 - HydraBus RTL-SDR tuner R820T2 (Russian)
- 3 Oct 2018 - HydraBus/HydraNFC "How to steal money from a contactless card and Apple Pay" zhovner/HABR (Russian)
- 16 Jul 2018 - HydraBus Presentation (Russian)
- 2 Oct 2017 - HydraBus Presentation (Ark444)
- 1 Oct 2014 - cnx-software HydraBus/HydraNFC
Tutorial/Workshop/Training related to HydraBus:
Tutorialrelated to HydraBus & HydraNFC:
Hack/Challenge using HydraBus:
- Riscure Rhme-2016
Important: If you have bought an HydraNFC Shield board you shall only connect it on TOP of HydraBus (you shall push it strongly to be fully connected).
- Follow the step Flash and use hydrafw on Windows or Flash and use hydrafw on Linux depending on your system.
- When a Host is connected to HydraBus USB1 or USB2 (with a PC or any device supporting USB Host(also OTG) communications device class also called Virtual Serial Port) with the help of a VT100 Terminal you can use HydraFW console commands described in wiki https://github.com/hydrabus/hydrafw/wiki/HydraFW-console-commands
For more details on HydraBus/HydraNFC and HydraFW (the official firmware for HydraBus/HydraNFC) see following links:
Official web pages HydraBus
HydraBus/HydraNFC official firmware HydraFW
Wiki for HydraFW (Support HydraBus/HydraNFC)
HydraBus JTAG/SWD debugger (using Black Magic FW)
For Issue/Question see HydraFW Issue