Dev: Windows Sophos issues
Clone this wiki locally
Sophos Heisenbugs (Windows)
Very frequently, Sophos causes IPython Notebook communications to fail without reporting any kind of error or feedback. It does not seem like there is way on our end to catch this.
Here are the issues filed for this kind of behavior:
Starting up a notebook works, kernels start, but no execution can be issued
from the notebook and the UI just stalls on
In[*]. Starting up an
console --existing or
ipython qtconsole --existing works without problems.
However, trying to execute things from the notebook becomes a no-op (with that
said, I seem to recall times when the execution requests go through, and only
the output is not returned)
The solution with the most reported successes
- open your Sophos Endpoint Security and Control Panel from your tray or start menu
- Select "configure" > "Anti-virus" > "Authorization" from the menu at the top
- Select the websites tab
- click the "Add" button and add 127.0.0.1 to the "Authorized websites" list
- restart computer
output works now :)
Another possible solution
Provided by @tritemio on GH #3311
- Open "Sophos Endpoint Security and Control" from the taskbar icon
- Follow the menu Configure -> Anti-Virus -> Web protection...
- In the option Block access to malicious websites select off. After that reboot, doesn't work without rebooting!
Sometimes, neither of these solutions work
Had an experience today (2013-08-26) on Windows 8 where we tried both of the above solutions, rebooting after each, and still couldn't punch through the Sophos firewall. Kill all Sophos processes did finally resolve the issue, however, so we know it was Sophos all along, just couldn't find a way to coerce it into playing nicely.