- Updated to Electron v12
- This enables Video Acceleration for Linux users. Your GPU will now assist in watching videos, lowering CPU usage (Windows / Mac users already have this)
- You can now hide the playlists tab with the Distraction Free Settings
- You can now customize the time interval when FreeTube will wait before playing the next video. Setting this to 0 seconds will play the next video immediately
- When adding channels to a profile, you can now select which profile you are referencing to grab from instead of always showing the "All Channels" profile
- Video URLs now check for the
tparameter and will navigate to that time in the video
- The Channel module in the local API has been updated to fix several issues
- Featured Channels are shown again
- Pagination is working again
- Search is working again
- The Comments module in the local API has been updated to fix the issue where sorting by newest wasn't consistently working
- The module for live chat in the local API has a temporary patch to get it working again
- Persistent media notifications now show more information instead of just the title of the video
- Links in the description that are hashes will no longer crash the application
- The time a video was published is now shown in the video recommendations section (Local API only)
- The app will no longer play the next video automatically if you decide to replay the current video
- The CLI will no longer redirect to search if it found an invalid URL. This fixes certain issues where FreeTube would navigate to the search page on startup
- New Icon for Windows / Mac / Linux systems. This Windows / Linux icon was created and used by the Papirus Icon Theme and is created by varlesh. The Mac icon is created by creepertron95. Thank you very much for the icons!
- The build scripts now support building for ARMv7l. Expect to see these in the nightly builds and possibly the main website here soon
- Sorting channel playlists by oldest is now removed as YouTube has removed this functionality on their site. It is no longer possible to obtain this information
A lot of these new changes and features are from recent pull requests, so thank you very much to the contributors who helped towards this release!
- The search bar / input bars now automatically fills with the suggestions that are selected (e.g. when moving with arrow keys)
- The Channels / Subscriptions modules have been updated to fix the recent issues with pagination
- The Comments module has been updated to use the new method for obtaining comments
- Watch / Search / Playlist modules have been updated to their latest revisions
- Live Chat is currently not working. We're waiting for an upstream fix. Once a fix is available I'll upload a new release
- Added some touch controls for devices with a touch screen. Double tap full screen and hold tap to pause are now supported
- Comments have been given some reworked logic. Grabbing comments should now be faster. It also fixes the issue where Flatpak builds were being redirected to search when attempting to load comments
- Fixed a network leak when using the proxy setting with certain modules
- The Trending page works correctly again with the local API
- Fixed an issue where OPML files were not importing properly
- The "Load More" button should now show up in the Playlists tab properly
- Tweaked the logic that determines when to force a 16:9 aspect ratio. It should now be enforced on more box like videos
- Search should no longer allow more searches if no more results are found (Local API only)
- The PiP player should apply it's logic properly when history is disabled
- Saved videos in the playlist page are now sorted by the latest video saved instead of the other way around
- Updated the endpoint for grabbing the active Invidious instances to the new URL (https://api.invidious.io)
- Added a link to the Invidious instance page in the settings page
- Revert module update to fix search in local API.
Sorry to make everyone update again!
- Basic Video save / favorites functionality. This will be adjusted when full playlists is implemented and is currently located in the Playlists tab. Any videos saved to this list will automatically get moved to a "Favorites" playlist once playlists are fully implemented
- Proxy support is now an option. This tunnels all network traffic from FreeTube to a proxy of your choice. Tor proxies are also supported. Find the option in settings
- The About page has been updated to give more updated information and include some extra links to various places
- You can now set a video to automatically loop when it ends. Us the new loop button found in the video controls
- You can now hide the list of channels that show in the side bar. Find the toggle in the distraction free settings
- Watching videos now prevents your display from suspending
- You can now paste Playlist and Embed URLs into the search bar to directly open them in their appropriate pages. This is also the case when using browser extensions to open these URLs
- Rewritten the check for updates logic to work better for certain numbers
- Fixed an issue where opening a link via CLI wasn't working
- Fixed a problem where
Ctrl + Cwasn't functioning properly on a video page
- Fixed an issue where navigating away from a video when full window mode was enabled would prevent the user from scrolling
- Fixed an issue where upcoming videos couldn't be opened
- Fixed an issue where 0 likes or dislikes would be displayed as NaN
- Fixed an issue where duplicates in the new YouTube subscriptions.json file would appear multiple times in the subscription list
- Fixed a network leak that was sending image requests to the selected Invidious server when viewing playlists on a channel page on the local API
- Fixed an issue where cached search results wouldn't grab the next page properly
- Fixed an issue where long descriptions of a video would cause a list of videos to look strange when using the list layout
- Flatpak installs should now show a persistent notification to pause videos through the OS like the other installs do
- The video player now resizes to video content better to prevent black bars in non 16:9 aspect ratios
- The video page layout has been tweaked to look better when recommendations / live chat / playlists are hidden
- The history page no longer darkens the videos shown
- A link on how to import subscriptions from other services and to the profile manager has been added to the settings page
- Added new language: Galician
- Added new region for trending page: Hong Kong
- You can now expand the video player to fit the entire application window. You can find the toggle within the video player. You can also use the
skey to toggle it
- PiP mode can now be toggled with the
- The watch page now provides all data again (local API)
- Search is fully functional again, including search filters and pagination (local API)
- Playlist functionality is fully functional again (local API)
- Videos that have been marked as watched have been given a new look to be more visible than before
- Some elements of the video player menu has been rearranged to match the layout between legacy and DASH videos
- Added new locales: Slovak
- Various translation updates
I want to give a big shout out to the community for this update. This update is comprised of mostly pull requests created by the community for FreeTube. Thank you so much for your help and support!
- The import / export subscriptions options now includes options for the new YouTube import format. Check out the new instructions here for how to import your subscriptions.
- You can now scrub through a video frame by frame using the
.(period) keys on your keyboard.
- The title of a video is now displayed in the top corner if the video is full screen.
- Updated video extractor module for the local API again, further fixing errors with retrieving videos
- Playlist and Search extractors have been updated and should be working again. Some functionality is still missing however.
- Hidden toast elements no longer block UI elements
- The Like / Dislike icons are now hidden when "Hide Likes / Dislikes" is enabled
- Errors from YouTube in the local API should now return messages in your preferred locale
- Taiwan has been added as an option for the Region for Trending
- Various Translation Updates
- Electron has been updated to v11
- Nightly builds now have a build number associated with them to better indicate that you are running a nightly build versus release
- Builds are no longer zipped, except when required like for the portable versions
- The local API sometimes doesn't return Recommended videos when watching a video
- Playlist information does not return channel information or playlist description (Local API)
- Search only returns the first page of a query (Local API)
- Search cannot take advantage of search filters (Local API)
- Some videos have had higher qualities enabled. Any video that uses MP4 codecs for higher qualities should show those higher qualities. Videos that use WebM codecs will still only max at 1080p
- You can now copy the channel URL from any video item either for YouTube or Invidious
- You can select the region of the trending page, to see what trends around the world
- You can now change the volume of a video by scrolling over the volume bar
- The title of a video now shows up in the header of the application
- Loading comments with large amounts of replies should no longer freeze the application
- The "Load More" button was brought back to the search page
- Fixed a problem where watching a video wasn't falling back to the Invidious API if the local API is your preference
- Bump dependency versions, which includes a fix for some videos throwing out errors when you attempt to watch them
- The logic for determining a live video has been slightly tweaked to better account for history
- Various language updates / changes
Another update will be sent out in a couple of days to include the final fixes for search. Keep an eye out for that notification
- Comments hearted by the channel owner now have an icon next to them
- Tooltips are added to a few settings to give better context on what they do
- Captions are now included in the list of download links
- Search is somewhat working again. There are still problems with it but this should give back some basic functionality. I'll post a new release once this has had some more work on it. Keep an eye on #662 for updates.
- Channel icons and banners are now proxied through Invidious when the Invidious API is default
- The hover elements shown when you hover over the time bar in a video now show over top of the static timestamp
- The Firefox extension should now work on Mac devices
- Live videos in the recommended videos section should now be labeled properly
- Comments should no longer start at 1 like count
- Live chat is now limited to the latest 150 messages to prevent scrolling issues with streams with fast chat rooms
- New languages added: Hungarian
- Distraction Free Settings. Hide certain elements of the app so that they stop being distracting. Can hide elements such as "Most Popular", "Trending", "Video Recommendations", and "Live Chat"
- UI Scaling. Zoom in or out the UI to better fit your ideal size.
- You can now have the side bar menu be opened automatically upon boot. Enable this in settings
- You can now disable smooth scrolling. Enable this in settings
- There is a new button in settings that will check for and import any subscriptions from legacy versions of FreeTube
- The Firefox Extension once again works with FreeTube, and can be used to automatically have video links be opened up within FreeTube. Only installed / non-portable versions are supported with this feature.
- Adding a YouTube link as a parameter when opening FreeTube via the CLI will automatically open that link upon boot-up. Only installed / non-portable versions are supported with this feature.
- You can now sort comments by "Newest" or by "Top"
- Links in comments and replies are now clickable
- You can now download available video files associated with a video. These will be opened in your default browser so that it can handle the actual download.
- Channels with a low amount of videos no longer error out when loading the last batch of videos available
- Comments no longer load the first batch of comments if you've reach the end of available comments
- Channels that display 0 subscribers will now have their subscriber count hidden
- Playlists now show all of the videos again
- Comments containing links are no longer displaying only the first text up to the link
- Subscriptions shouldn't be added multiple times any more when importing via a FreeTube .db file
- Importing subscriptions through a FreeTube .db file should no longer miss profiles when channels are added
- Channels that have Premieres setup should no longer show an error message
- Grabbing subscriptions through RSS is now forced if your selected profile has more than 125 channels in order to prevent rate limiting
- Videos will now proxy through Invidious when the setting is enabled while also using the local API. Before this setting only worked when the Invidious API was enabled.
- Audio formats labels now have more readable names instead of the bitrate
- New Languages Added: Bulgarian, Greek, Hebrew, Portuguese, Slovenian