ntfy (pronounced "notify") is a simple HTTP-based pub-sub notification service. With ntfy, you can send notifications to your phone or desktop via scripts from any computer, without having to sign up or pay any fees. If you'd like to run your own instance of the service, you can easily do so since ntfy is open source.
ntfy Pro 💸 🎉
I now offer paid plans for ntfy.sh if you don't want to self-host, or you want to support the development of ntfy (→ Purchase via web app). You can buy a plan for as low as $3.33/month (if you use promo code
MYTOPIC, limited time only). You can also donate via GitHub Sponsors, and Liberapay. I would be very humbled by your sponsorship. ❤️
There are a few ways to get in touch with me and/or the rest of the community. Feel free to use any of these methods. Whatever works best for you:
- Discord server - direct chat with the community
- Matrix room #ntfy (+ Matrix space) - same chat, bridged from Discord
- Lemmy discussion board - asynchronous forum (new as of June 2023)
- GitHub issues - questions, features, bugs
For announcements of new releases and cutting-edge beta versions, please subscribe to the ntfy.sh/announcements topic. If you'd like to test the iOS app, join TestFlight. For Android betas, join Discord/Matrix (I'll eventually make a testing channel in Google Play).
I welcome any contributions. Just create a PR or an issue. For larger features/ideas, please reach out on Discord/Matrix first to see if I'd accept them. To contribute code, check out the build instructions for the server and the Android app. Or, if you'd like to help translate 🇩🇪 🇺🇸 🇧🇬, you can start immediately in Hosted Weblate.
I have just very recently started accepting donations via GitHub Sponsors, and Liberapay. I would be humbled if you helped me carry the server and developer account costs. Even small donations are very much appreciated. A big fat Thank You to the folks already sponsoring ntfy:
We as members, contributors, and leaders pledge to make participation in our community a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of age, body size, visible or invisible disability, ethnicity, sex characteristics, gender identity and expression, level of experience, education, socio-economic status, nationality, personal appearance, race, caste, color, religion, or sexual identity and orientation.
We pledge to act and interact in ways that contribute to an open, welcoming, diverse, inclusive, and healthy community.
Please be sure to read the complete Code of Conduct.
Third-party libraries and resources:
- github.com/urfave/cli (MIT) is used to drive the CLI
- Mixkit sounds (Mixkit Free License) are used as notification sounds
- Sounds from notificationsounds.com (Creative Commons Attribution) are used as notification sounds
- Roboto Font (Apache 2.0) is used as a font in everything web
- React (MIT) is used for the web app
- Material UI components (MIT) are used in the web app
- MUI dashboard template (MIT) was used as a basis for the web app
- Dexie.js (Apache 2.0) is used for web app persistence in IndexedDB
- GoReleaser (MIT) is used to create releases
- go-smtp (MIT) is used to receive e-mails
- stretchr/testify (MIT) is used for unit and integration tests
- github.com/mattn/go-sqlite3 (MIT) is used to provide the persistent message cache
- Firebase Admin SDK (Apache 2.0) is used to send FCM messages
- github/gemoji (MIT) is used for emoji support (specifically the emoji.json file)
- Lightbox with vanilla JS as a lightbox on the landing page
- HTTP middleware for gzip compression (MIT) is used for serving static files
- Regex for auto-linking (MIT) is used to highlight links (the library is not used)
- Statically linking go-sqlite3
- Linked tabs in mkdocs
- webpush-go (MIT) is used to send web push notifications