This is a collection of ink resources, samples, tools as well as a running list of projects that use ink. It's an attempt to catalogue everythink in one place.
We're open to pull requests, so feel free to submit any sample ink, tools that you've found useful, or a link to your own project or game.
Inkle has a patreon page full of tips and tricks, please consider donating if you make use of ink!
- Snippets - re-useable functions, examples of techniques, etc.
- Stories - entire playable stories written in ink.
If you want to submit a sample, please make sure to put a header comment at the top of your (main) file that gives an overview of your snippet, or an overview of your story.
Please be aware that any sample content contributed to this repo becomes MIT licensed.
ink Engine ports, wrappers and integration
The repositories marked with
⭐️- Official integration for Unity from inkle.
⭐️- Official implementation integrated in Godot through mono.
⭐️– A GDScript port of ink for Godot.
⭐️– Inkle Ink runtime implementation in Java.
⭐️- Integration of the Ink language into Unreal 4.
⭐️– Ink integration for Gamemaker Studio.
- inkcpp - Ink runtime in C++ with an additional JSON to binary converter. At time of writing, many but not all features supported.
- mica-ink – A Kotlin implementation of inkle's open source scripting language (ink) for writing interactive narrative.
- inkhaxe – Ink port from C# to Haxe.
- inkrs – A port/rewrite of inkle/ink in rust.
- pink – An attempt to implement a subset of ink in lpeg.
- Narrator - An Ink parser and runtime implementation in Lua. Also works with Defold.
Analysis and visualisation
- graphink - A graphing tool for visualising ink by the creator of inkjs
Editors and extensions
- Inky - Inky is the offical ink editor developed by inkle.
- Quill – Quill is an online tool for playing and sandbox testing Ink stories.
- Ink Language Server – A language server for inkle's Ink, that adheres to the Language Server Protocol (LSP).
- atom-language-ink – Adds syntax highlighting and snippets to Ink files in Atom.
- language-ink-atom • Atom Package - Atom port of the SublimeText 3 language grammar for inkle's ink language.
- ink-mode – syntax highlighting, automatic indentation, snippets, play testing inside Emacs.
VS Code extensions
- ink • Visual Studio Marketplace – Inkle's Ink scripting language support for Visual Studio Code
- ink • Visual Studio Marketplace - This one seems less complete than the above.
Frameworks, templates and command line utilities
- ink-soaked - A template for creating hypertext fiction that acts like most Twine story formats.
- ink-vn-engine - An engine for building browser-based visual novels with ink.
- Mutter – A framework for building bot brains.
- Paper Engine – Paper Engine is designed to allow game writers to create (nearly) their entire (more than Text) game without ever leaving Ink.
- Atrament – A simple interface to Inkjs, which can be used as a core engine for your game app.
- Blotter – A front-end engine for publishing Ink stories on the web.
- Gall – A a simple command-line tool for assembling Ink stories with Blotter.
- PalimpsestNW – A basic template for deploying a game written in ink as a stand-alone desktop app.
- inkphone – A sample app demonstrating how to turn a web-based Ink project into a mobile app with PhoneGap.
- StoryBytes Android / StoryBytes Desktop – Story viewer built on top of blade-ink.
- Ink-Fungus Gateway (source code) – A tool to connect the Ink Unity Integration Plugin with Fungus.
- ink-proof (source code) – Conformance testing for Ink compilers and runtimes.
- ink-tools - Wrapper around command-line ink compiler that has a watch mode for automatic re-compilation.
- homebrew-ink – Homebrew tap for inklecate (macOS only).
- Unofficial NuGet package – A community supported NuGet package of the runtime.
ink games (and non-games!)
- An upcoming as yet untitled game set in the Scottish Highlands
- Heaven's Vault
- 80 days
- Down Among the Dead Men
- The Intercept
By the community
- Goodbye Volcano High
- Where the Water Tastes Like Wine
- Falcon Age
- Over the Alps
- Closed Hands
- Sea of Thieves - doesn't use the engine but uses a subset of the format
- Southern Monsters
- Shapeshifting Detective
- Bury Me My Love
- Total Darkness
- The Uber Game
- A Place for the Unwilling
- Dust and Salt
- Dust and Salt: The Battle for Murk
- Johnny Bonasera (ep 2+)
- Le Royaume d'Istyald (French)
- Du Lac & Fey: Dance of Death
- True Legacy
- Several games from Sand Gardeners
- Heaven Will Be Mine
- Pirates and Traders 2
- Dance of Death: Du Lac & Fey
- Nox Caelo
- Way Down
- Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York
- Your daily crush
- Linda & Joan
- Signs of the Sojourner
- Dragon Audit
Game jams, competitions, experiments and demos
- The Rats in the Bulkhead
- Fog Lights and Foul Deeds
- Witchwood Academy
- dripping with the waters of sheol
- Cloak of Darkness (parser IF demo)
- Whole souls
- YEETmas carol
- /THERE USED TO BE A SHOW NAMED CHEERS BUT IT DOESN'T EXIST ANYMORE/
- I live next to a train track
- Catfish Fish Cat
- The Tetris Killer
- Scoop (Act One)
- The Bitter Drop
- Lost in Myself
- Windrush Tales
- Wayward Strand
- The Last Night
- Fabled Lands
- Trip the Ark Fantastic
- Crowns and Pawns: Kingdom of Deceit
- Fête de Famille (Familly Gathering)
- Negative Nancy