Repository navigation
DevNotes_16Oct2026_Technical
Paul Sharp edited this page Oct 16, 2026
·
7 revisions
Presentations
Demo of Free-Form SAS work by Yugal Khanal (STFC)
To Discuss
- Refactor Hackathon Review
- PRs that need review:
- Attach/Detach Windows: https://github.com/SasView/sasview/pull/4144 - now accepted, ready for merge? YES - merged
- MuMag + Trends: https://github.com/SasView/sasview/pull/4133 - under review
- Does this need a second review, or is it ready? - MERGED
- Plotting Refactor Integration: https://github.com/SasView/sasview/pull/4151 - review requested
- WIP:
- Project Board: https://github.com/orgs/SasView/projects/30
- Adam Washington is working on SasData refactored reader issues next week. The previous PRs have now been merged.
- Next Hackathon - Early December - Doodle poll
- PRs that need review:
- Planning for Contributor Camp
- James to present the current status of the refactor project(?). Would need to be Nov. 3 or 4 (or 6/7/8 am-ish PST on a later day).
- Most likely 3rd or 4th Nov.
- Expected projects to be worked on
- Refactoring Data/Magnetism/SAND/Plotting: Paul S., Jeff, Dirk, Annika, Jonathon (remote?), James (remote), Paul N.(Attending? - Probably not)
- Sasmodels refactor/rework: Paul B., Paul K., Jan Skov (Attending?), Sarah, Marianne
- Automating Releases and CI Improvements: Anyone to work on them?
- Bug Fixes, maintenance, etc. (tragedy of the commons)
- James to present the current status of the refactor project(?). Would need to be Nov. 3 or 4 (or 6/7/8 am-ish PST on a later day).
Next bug fix release version 6.2.1
- Release date: Before contributor camp - aiming for 23rd October
- Release Candidate 1 came out on 12th October
- I intend to create and send out a new Release Candidate
- This was necessitated by discovery of a bug in the CI, which showed that versions of dependencies were not being updated due to cached environments being used instead.
- Is our approach to release branches the right one? For this release, we created a branch from the v6.2.0 tag, and therefore used those pinned dependencies throughout the development/release cycle.
- We also found that the CI failed for the first Release Candidate due to the subscription for the Windows signing expiring on 8th October.
- This means that there are no installers for Release Candidate 1.
- PR #4161 has addressed this by temporarily disabling Windows signing.
- Any further updates?
- When do other signing certificates expire?
- Certificate renewals handled by main office in Lund. Currently delayed and unsure when it will happen.
- Can we get something from the ISA?
- Windows signing used to have physical key, but not the case any longer.
- Cost is likely most pressing issue.
- Bearing all of this in mind, how should we proceed?
- PR #4162 updates the pins for our dependencies. Following this release, we need to work out how to ensure dependencies are updated and the correct pins are used for release tags.
- Does anyone else have access to Windows signing? Possibly Oak Ridge?
- Longer term, try to get ISA to pay for Windows signing.
- Proposal is to create a new Release Candidate following testing of #4162 on Mac on 19th October, with unsigned Windows installer.
- Please test this and give feedback!
- Release may be delayed to late Nov/Dec 2026. Note that the release will not happen during the contributor camp.
ADRs and other Discussion
- Discussions to bring up:
AOB?
- View/Subscribe to the SasView Calendar
- Fortnightly developer's agenda/minutes
- Developer Guides
- Admin Processes and Procedure Notes
- Active Project Pages
- Historical Archive of Obsolete Pages
- Contributor e-Learning Course (free)
- Non Coding contribution needs/projects
- New functionality projects
- acknowledging contributions