Clone this wiki locally
Answers to questions about Ethereum
- More Questions and Answers
What is Ethereum?
There are several ways to answer this question, which are introduced on the dedicated What is Ethereum wiki page.
If you prefer to learn by watching videos, see:
- Introducing Ethereum (Video, 10mi)
- Vitalik Buterin reveals Ethereum at Bitcoin Miami 2014 (Video, 28min)
- Singularity 1 on 1: Ethereum is a Decentralized Consensus Platform (Video, 69min)
- Our second Reddit "Ask Me Anything" for community selected questions (not actually a video)
Where can I learn more about Ethereum?
- Main site: https://www.ethereum.org
- Forums: https://forum.ethereum.org
- Github: https://github.com/ethereum
- Blog: https://blog.ethereum.org
- Wiki: http://wiki.ethereum.org
- Meetups: http://ethereum.meetup.com
- Whitepaper: http://ethereum.org/ethereum.html
- Yellow Paper: http://gavwood.com/paper.pdf
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ethereumproject
- Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/ethereumproject
- Google+: http://google.com/+EthereumOrgOfficial
- IRC Freenode: #ethereum (http://bitly.com/IRC_ethereum for weblink)
Where can I find the main project repositories?
- cpp-ethereum (@gavofyork, @programmerTim, @caktux)
- go-ethereum (@obscuren, @maran)
- pyethereum (@vbuterin, @heikoheiko, @chenhouwu)
- ethereumj (@romanman, @nicksavers)
- ethereumjs-lib (@ethers, @wanderer)
Where can I learn about the Ether sale and mining?
Where can I find official releases?
How to install development builds?
How to install the clients from source?
- Building AlethZero (C++)
- Building Mist (Go)
- Installing Pyethereum (Python)
- Installing EthereumJ (Java)
How can I mine Ether?
- To process transactions
- Disable "Debug" > "Force Mining"
- Click "Mine"
- To force mine (Use sparingly, unless stress testing)
- Enable "Debug" > "Force Mining"
- Click "Mine"
With the eth client
# Only force mine to acquire ether or stress test $ eth --force-mining --mining on [YOUR OPTIONS...]
How to get free testnet Ether?
Where can I learn about contract development?
Where can I learn Serpent, the Python-like language?
Where can I learn LLL, the Lisp-like language?
How to test contracts?
How to deploy contracts automatically?
Where to find example contracts?
Where can I learn about the Ethereum APIs?
Where can I learn about ÐApp development?
Where can I find ÐApp development tools?
- AlethZero GUI client (C++)
- Eth command-line client (C++)
- LLLC Compiler (C++)
- Ethereum command-line client (Go)
- Mist Browser (Go)
- Pyeth command-line client (Python)
- Serpent Compiler (Python)
- C3D (@project-douglas)
- Emacs LLL Mode (@robmyers)
- Emacs Serpent Mode (@robmyers)
- EPM (@project-douglas)
- EPM Sublime Plugin (@project-douglas)
- Ethos Browser (@projectdnet)
- EVM-Sim (@EtherCasts)
- MintChalk (@mintchalk)
- Poly-Eth (@projectdnet)
Where can I find example ÐApps?
- dapp-bin (@ethereum)
- GavCoin (@gavofyork)
- JeffCoin (@obscuren)
- Make It Rain (@EtherCasts)
- Chronos (@mquandalle)
- Artworld-Ethereum (@robmyers)
- Eris (@project-douglas, @compleatang, @dennismckinnon)
- CryptoCoinWatch (@EtherCasts)
- Occam's Run (@d11e9)
- TrustDavis (@EtherCasts)