- Why do we scroll the navigation stuff goes off screen and you have to scroll back to the top to get to it.
- We'll have lesser use tools, including Terminal, or add-ons whose buttons that shouldn't always occupy real estate
- Switching between things is rather tedious.
- Although browser tabs are a good approach for seeing multiple things, it should also be relatively painless to switch between two things within Cockpit.
- Not always clear what machine you are dealing with. This should be very clear.
- What is the relation between the navigation of the local server and the other servers in the network?
- Deep navigation trees under Storage for example.
- Not everything is a clear hierarchy, so the pathbar hurts in those situations
- Either the multi-machine dashboard should be usable for one machine, or shouldn't be shown for one machine.
- Easy to navigate between sections.
- Good notion of multi-machine
- App Centric -- Application is King
- These are server applications, not utilities. ie: roles/services
- Need to see how we'll handle multiple instances of apps/roles
- Nicely disable multi-machine parts when running under Foreman
- Work well under Atomic
- Space for tools/utilities
- These are not apps
- The terminal is such a tool
- the typical patternfly nav has scalability issues.
Braindump: Application/function/role examples: File server, domain server, database server, web server. The app/role is the only thing that matters, the core functions are there to serve that. Cores functions of a server serving: Network, Storage, Memory/CPU, Services? OS Services vs. Apps. Tools: terminal, users?? Status: Notifications, Alerts, Journal, graphs
Multi-machine Overview needs to be able to give you a good overview of 10 servers, how are their apps, what is going wrong with who right now? https://github.com/patternfly/patternfly/issues/14
Guiding principle "What is going wrong?" Use cases:
- Disk usage
- Service inaccessible
- Disk outage
- Network/routing issue
- SELinux problems
- Too slow
- Networking overloaded
- Security issues
- SCAP alerts
- Software vulnerabilities
Server dash contents
- List of apps
- List of machines
- Current "problems" (see above)
- Basic system information
- Maybe avatar?
- Resource graphs corellated by time
What are Tools/Utilities?
- Admin Accounts
- Detailed Systemd Manager
- Docker Manager
- ? Shutdown
- SCAP Configuration