Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Answers to questions about Ethereum
- How do I buy Ether or ETH?
- Where can I learn more about Ethereum?
- Where can I find the main project repositories?
- Where can I learn about the Ether sale and mining?
- More Questions and Answers
What is Ethereum?
If you prefer to learn by watching videos, see:
- Introducing Ethereum (Video, 10mi)
- Vitalik Buterin reveals Ethereum at Bitcoin Miami 2014 (Video, 28min)
- Singularity 1 on 1: Ethereum is a Decentralized Consensus Platform (Video, 69min)
- Our second Reddit "Ask Me Anything" for community selected questions (not actually a video)
How do I buy Ether or ETH?
Where can I learn more about Ethereum?
- Main site: https://www.ethereum.org
- Forums: https://forum.ethereum.org
- Github: https://github.com/ethereum
- Blog: https://blog.ethereum.org
- Wiki: http://ethereum.wiki (this wiki)
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ethereum
- Meetups: http://ethereum.meetup.com
- Whitepaper: https://github.com/ethereum/wiki/wiki/White-Paper
- Yellow Paper: https://ethereum.github.io/yellowpaper/paper.pdf
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ethereumproject
- Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/ethereumproject
- Google+: http://google.com/+EthereumOrgOfficial
- IRC Freenode: #ethereum (http://bitly.com/IRC_ethereum for weblink)
- Stack Exchange: https://ethereum.stackexchange.com
Where can I find the main project repositories?
- go-ethereum (@obscuren, @maran)
- cpp-ethereum (@gavofyork, @programmerTim, @caktux)
- pyethereum (@vbuterin, @heikoheiko, @chenhouwu)
- ethereumj (@romanman, @nicksavers)
- ethereumjs-lib (@ethers, @wanderer)
- more repositories are in the Ethereum organisation on Github
Where can I learn about the Ether sale and mining?
If you have an issue with your wallet, an exchange or other matters relating to using the Ether cryptocurrency or making transactions, see this MyEtherWallet knowledge base. It answers many FAQs such as:
- transaction is not showing up or is pending forever
- ETH or Tokens sent to or from exchange haven't shown up / Transaction says complete, but funds haven't shown up yet
- Phish, Hacks, Thefts & stolen funds due to phishing messages on Slack / Reddit / Google Ads
Where can I find official releases?
- Releases for Geth (Go)
- Releases for Parity (Rust)
- Releases for eth (C++)
- Releases for Pyethereum (Python)
- Releases for Ethereumj (Java)
- Releases for Mist (wallet and browser for dapps)
- Releases for Pyethapp (Python)
- Releases for Py-EVM (Python)
How to install development builds?
How to install the clients from source?
- Building eth/AlethZero (C++)
- Building Mist (Go)
- Installing Pyethereum (Python)
- Installing EthereumJ (Java)
How can I mine Ether?
- To process transactions
- Disable "Debug" > "Force Mining"
- Click "Mine"
- To force mine (Use sparingly, unless stress testing)
- Enable "Debug" > "Force Mining"
- Click "Mine"
With the eth client
# Only force mine to acquire ether or stress test $ eth --force-mining --mining on [YOUR OPTIONS...]
Where can I learn about contract development?
Where can I learn Serpent, the Python-like language?
Where can I learn LLL, the Lisp-like language?
How to test contracts?
Where to find example contracts?
Where can I learn about the Ethereum APIs?
Where can I learn about ÐApp development?
Where can I find ÐApp development tools?
- eth/AlethZero GUI client (C++)
- Eth command-line client (C++)
- LLLC Compiler (C++)
- Ethereum command-line client (Go)
- Mist Browser (Go)
- Pyeth command-line client (Python)
- Serpent Compiler (Python)
- Emacs LLL Mode (@robmyers)
- Emacs Serpent Mode (@robmyers)
- EVM-Sim (@EtherCasts)
- MintChalk (@mintchalk)
Where can I find example ÐApps?
- dapp-bin (@ethereum)
- GavCoin (@gavofyork)
- JeffCoin (@obscuren)
- Make It Rain (@EtherCasts)
- Chronos (@mquandalle)
- Artworld-Ethereum (@robmyers)
- CryptoCoinWatch (@EtherCasts)
- Occam's Run (@d11e9)
- TrustDavis (@EtherCasts)