Open-Source Quantum Software Projects
Curated list of open-source developed quantum software projects.
Please read the contribution guidelines before contributing.
Also please check out the Unitary Fund's 4k$ grant project for quantum OSS!
- Quantum full-stack libraries
- Quantum simulators
- Quantum annealing
- Quantum algorithms
- Quantum compilers
- Quantum assembly
- Quantum and post-quantum cryptography
- Experimental quantum computing
- Quantum fun
- Quantum tools
- Abandoned projects
For a curated list of learning resources please check out desireevl's repo.
Quantum full-stack libraries
- staq - Full stack quantum processing toolkit.
- XACC - Extreme-scale programming model for quantum acceleration within high-performance computing.
- Cirq - Framework for creating, editing, and invoking Noisy Intermediate Scale Quantum (NISQ) circuits.
- Forest - Rigetti's software library for writing, simulating, compiling and executing quantum programs.
- Ocean - D-Wave System's suite of tools for solving hard problems with quantum computers.
- OpenQL - Compiler framework with algorithm libraries, optimizer, scheduler, QEC, mapping, micro-code generator.
- ProjectQ - Hardware-agnostic framework with compiler and simulator with emulation capabilities.
- Qiskit - Framework for working with noisy quantum computers at the level of pulses, circuits, and algorithms (supported by IBM).
- Strawberry Fields - Xanadu's software library for photonic quantum computing.
- Q# - Microsoft's quantum programming language with Visual Studio integration.
- QuaC - Parallel time-dependent open quantum systems solver.
- QuEST - Quantum Exact Simulation Toolkit is a high performance multicore simulator of universal quantum circuits.
- TNQVM - Tensor Network QPU Simulator for Eclipse XACC.
- BLACK-STONE - Specification and implementation of quantum common lisp, for gate-model quantum computers.
- QVM - Rigetti's high-performance quantum virtual machine.
- Intel Quantum Simulator - Distributed qubit register quantum simulator using OpenMP and MPI.
- QCL - High level, hardware-agnostic programming language for quantum computers (syntax like C or Pascal).
- Qiskit Aer - High performance simulator for quantum circuits that includes noise models (supported by IBM).
- Qrack - Comprehensive qubit and gate implementation for developing universal virtual quantum processors.
- Quantum++ - High-performance general purpose quantum simulator (can simulate d-dimensional qudits).
- Quipper - Scalable functional programming language for quantum computing based on Quantum Lambda Calculus.
- jquil - A Java library for quantum programming using Quil.
- libQuantumJava - Crude translation from the C implementation of
libquantumto a Java version.
- Quantum Circuit Simulator - Smoothly runs 20+ qubit simulations in browser or on node.js server.
- Quirk - Drag-and-drop quantum circuit simulator in your browser.
- Cliffords.jl - Efficient calculation of Clifford circuits in Julia.
- QSimulator.jl - Unitary and Lindbladian evolution in Julia.
- QuantumInfo.jl - Julia library for quantum information related calculations.
- RandomQuantum.jl - Package for generating random quantum states and processes.
- Yao.jl - Extensible, Efficient Quantum Algorithm Design for Humans.
- QuantumUtils - Tools for quantum control, simulation, channel representation conversion, and perturbations.
- QOCS - Quantum OCaml Circuit Simulator is a functional approach to simulating quantum gates.
- PIQS - Efficient simulation of open quantum dynamics of identical qubits.
- QCircuits - User-friendly quantum circuit simulator designed for students and newcomers to quantum computing.
- QTop - Simulation and visualization of topological quantum computers.
- Quantum Virtual Machine - Reference implementation of Rigetti's Quantum Virtual Machine.
- Quintuple - Simulating the 5-qubit processor of the IBM Quantum Experience.
- QuPy - Quantum circuit simulator for both CPU and GPU.
- QuSim - Ideal noise-free multi-qubit simulator written in 150 lines of code.
- QuTiP - User-friendly and efficient numerical simulations of a wide variety of open quantum systems.
- SimulaQron - Application level simulator of a quantum network.
- SQUANCH - A distributed simulation framework for quantum networks and channels.
- Qlmp - Interpreter for the functional quantum programming language Qumin.
- SwiftQuantumComputing - Quantum circuit simulator with a bit of genetic programming.
- Virtual Hardware Embedding - Virtual Hardware Embedding Suite for adiabatic quantum computing.
- chimera_embedding - Algorithms to generate native-structured embeddings for Chimera graphs.
- dimod - Shared API for Ising and QUBO problems.
- dwavebinarycsp - Map constraint satisfaction problems with binary variables to binary quadratic models.
- dwave-cloud-client - Min. implementation of the REST interface to communicate with D-Wave's Solver API.
- dwave_networkx - Exploration and analysis of network graphs.
- dwave_neal - An implementation of a simulated annealing sampler.
- dwave-system - API for easily incorporating D-Wave quantum annealers as samplers in the Ocean software stack.
- embedding_utilities - Mapping samples between original and embedded graph.
- micro_client_sapi_dimod - Dimod wrapper for the D-Wave Micro Client.
- minorminer - Heuristic tool for minor graph embedding.
- penaltymodel - Utilities and interfaces for using penalty models.
- sapi_dimod - Dimod wrapper for D-Wave's Solver API (SAPI).
Python, C & Matlab
- XACC VQE - Variational quantum eigensolver built on XACC for distributed, and shared memory systems.
- QuantumTomography.jl - Julia package to perform quantum state and process tomography.
- Adapt - Algorithms for adaptive refinement of measurements.
- FermiLib - Software for analyzing fermionic quantum simulation algorithms with ProjectQ.
- Grove - Quantum algorithms implemented using Rigetti's pyQuil.
- OpenFermion - Compiling and analyzing quantum algorithm for quantum chemistry simulations.
- PennyLane - Library for quantum ML, automatic differentiation and optimization of hybrid computations.
- QFog - Framework for analyzing both classical and quantum Bayesian Networks.
- Qiskit Aqua - Library of various quantum algorithm implemented with Qiskit.
- Qiskit Tutorial - Jupyter notebook filled with tutorials for Qiskit.
- Quantum_Edward - Python tools for supervised learning by Quantum Neural Networks
- QuantumFlow - Quantum Algorithms Development Toolkit e.g. allowing for backpropagation with QAOA.
- Quantum TSP - Tutorials on solving Travelling Salesman Problem using quantum computing (QAOA).
- VQF - Implementation of Variational Quantum Factoring algorithm (in pyQuil)
- XACC Examples - Example code using XACC for quantum computing.
- XACC QChem - QPU Benchmarks for Quantum Chemistry via XACC, Psi4 and OpenFermion.
- Quantum Katas - Programming exercises for learning Q# and quantum computing.
- ScaffCC - Compilation, analysis and optimization framework for the Scaffold quantum programming language.
- UniversalQCompiler - Synthesis of isometries (including unitaries and state preparation), channels and POVMs.
- PyZX - Python library for quantum circuit rewriting and optimisation using the ZX-calculus.
- QGL2 Compiler - Language compiler for imperative Quantum Gate Language (QGL).
- Qiskit Terra - Python library for quantum circuit rewriting and optimization (supported by IBM).
- Qubiter - Quantum compiler with Python wrapper for LAPACK's CS Decomposition to build a binary tree of matrices.
- quilc - Rigetti's optimizing Quil compiler.
- Blackbird - Open-source quantum instruction language currently used for Xanadu's photonic hardware.
- OpenQASM - Open-source quantum assembly language.
- QMASM - A quantum macro assembler for D-Wave's quantum annealers.
- Quil - An open hybrid quantum/classical instruction set currently used by Rigetti. Parser
Quantum and post-quantum cryptography
- liboqs - C library for quantum-resistant cryptographic algorithms.
- openssh - OpenSSH with quantum-safe key exchange algorithms.
- openssl - OpenSSL with quantum-safe cryptographic algorithms.
- QRL - Quantum Resistant Ledger utilizing hash-based one-time merkle tree signature scheme instead of ECDSA.
Experimental quantum computing
- Qlab.jl - Generic lab tools in Julia.
- Qlab - Measurement and control software for superconducting qubits.
- ARTIQ - Next-generation control system for quantum information experiments.
- PyQLab - Library for instrument control and superconducting QIP experiments.
- QFlow-lite - Machine Learning tools for autotuning quantum dot experiments.
- QGL - Domain-specific language embedded in Python for specifying pulse sequences.
- Quince - Node-based GUI that allows for graphical configuration of qubit experiments in Auspex.
- qupulse - Quantum computing pulse parametrization and sequencing framework (formerly qc-toolkit).
- Entanglion - The world’s first open source quantum computing board game. For 2 players.
- QSEL - Quantum programming language putting entanglement and superposition front and center.
- Quantum Awesomeness - Simple puzzles to benchmark various quantum processor.
- Quantum Battleships - Playing battleships with quantum measurements.
- Quantum Catsweeper - Quantum game loosely based on Minesweeper Flag.
- SudoQ - Sudoku solver that leverages a D-Wave Quantum Annealer.
- Quantum Music Composer for IBM Q - Compose and perform quantum music with IBM Q.
- Quantum Music Composer for Rigetti - Compose and perform quantum music with Rigetti's Forest.
- Quantum Game with Photons - Puzzle game in browser, with polarization, superposition, and measurement.
- QI - Toolkit for common quantum information functions.
- IBM Q bot - Bot for Slack and Telegram to monitor the load of IBM Q quantum computers.
- Quil syntax highlighter - Syntax highlighter for PyCharm.
2+ years of inactivity. Feel free to reanimate, document and contribute to some of this work!
- libquantum - C library for quantum computing and quantum simulation.
- pQCS - Parallel quantum circuit synthesis with optimal T-count.
- PySimulator - Python with C++ backend simulator for superconducting circuits.
- QACG - Quantum Arithmetic Circuit Generator in Haskell.
- QCViewer - A visual quantum circuit design and simulation tool.
- Squankum - Visual Java quantum simulator.
See the contribution guidelines.
To the extent possible under law, Mark Fingerhuth has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.