Open-Source Quantum Software Projects
Curated list of open-source developed quantum software projects.
Please read the contribution guidelines before contributing.
Also please check out the Unitary Fund's 4k$ grant project for quantum OSS!
- Quantum full-stack libraries
- Quantum simulators
- Quantum annealing
- Quantum algorithms
- Quantum compilers
- Quantum assembly
- Quantum control
- Quantum and post-quantum cryptography
- Experimental quantum computing
- Quantum fun
- Quantum tools
- Abandoned projects
For a curated list of learning resources please check out desireevl's repo.
Quantum full-stack libraries
- staq - Full stack quantum processing toolkit.
- XACC - Extreme-scale programming model for quantum acceleration within high-performance computing.
- blueqat - A quantum computing SDK.
- Braket - Amazon's fully managed quantum computing service for building quantum algorithms.
- Cirq - Framework for creating, editing, and invoking Noisy Intermediate Scale Quantum (NISQ) circuits.
- Forest - Rigetti's software library for writing, simulating, compiling and executing quantum programs.
- Ocean - D-Wave System's suite of tools for solving hard problems with quantum computers.
- OpenQL - Compiler framework with algorithm libraries, optimizer, scheduler, QEC, mapping, micro-code generator.
- ProjectQ - Hardware-agnostic framework with compiler and simulator with emulation capabilities.
- Qiskit - Framework for noisy quantum computers at the level of pulses, circuits, and algorithms (supported by IBM).
- Strawberry Fields - Xanadu's software library for photonic quantum computing.
- Tequila - An Extensible Quantum Information and Learning Architecture developed by Alan Aspuru-Guzik's group (UofT).
- Q# - Microsoft's quantum programming language with Visual Studio integration.
- Silq - Silq is a high-level quantum programming language with safe uncomputation and intuitive semantics.
- QuaC - Parallel time-dependent open quantum systems solver.
- QuEST - Quantum Exact Simulation Toolkit is a high performance multicore simulator of universal quantum circuits.
- TNQVM - Tensor Network QPU Simulator for Eclipse XACC.
- QVM - Rigetti's high-performance quantum virtual machine.
- Huawei HiQsimulator - Single-amplitude, Full-amplitude and Error-correction circuit simulation engine.
- Intel Quantum Simulator - Distributed qubit register quantum simulator using OpenMP and MPI.
- JKQ-DDSIM - Error-free quantum simulator using decision diagrams as underlying data structure. (arXiv / IEEE)
- qFlex - Flexible high-performance simulator for verifying and benchmarking quantum circuits implemented on real hardware.
- Qiskit Aer - High performance simulator for quantum circuits that includes noise models (supported by IBM).
- QCEAD - C++ program to both simulate a quantum computer and use parallel evolutionary techniques to design algorithms.
- Qrack - Comprehensive qubit and gate implementation for developing universal virtual quantum processors.
- qSim - High level, elementary simulation library.
- QSim - Schrödinger and Schrödinger-Feynman simulators for quantum circuits.
- Quantum++ - High-performance general purpose quantum simulator (can simulate d-dimensional qudits).
- tweedledum - Library for synthesis, compilation, and optimization of quantum circuits.
- Q - Quantum Computation Simulator written purely in GoLang.
- Strange - Java API that can be used to create Quantum Programs.
- Quantum Circuit Simulator - Smoothly runs 20+ qubit simulations in browser or on node.js server.
- Quirk - Drag-and-drop quantum circuit simulator in your browser.
- Quantum-computing-playground - Browser-based simple IDE interface to run, visualize and debug quantum programs.
- Cliffords.jl - Efficient calculation of Clifford circuits in Julia.
- IonSim.jl - Simulate the dynamics of a configuration of trapped ions interacting with laser light.
- QSimulator.jl - Unitary and Lindbladian evolution in Julia.
- QuantumInfo.jl - Julia library for quantum information related calculations.
- QuantumOptics.jl - Numerical framework to simulate various kinds of open quantum systems in Julia.
- RandomQuantum.jl - Package for generating random quantum states and processes.
- Yao.jl - Extensible, Efficient Quantum Algorithm Design for Humans.
- PIQS - Efficient simulation of open quantum dynamics of identical qubits.
- QCircuits - User-friendly quantum circuit simulator designed for students and newcomers to quantum computing.
- Qibo - Framework for quantum simulation with hardware acceleration, including multi-GPU support.
- QTop - Simulation and visualization of topological quantum computers.
- quantum-computing - Functionally complete simulator for universal quantum computing in Python
- quimb - Easy but fast python library for quantum information and many-body calculations, including with tensor networks.
- Quintuple - Simulating the 5-qubit processor of the IBM Quantum Experience.
- QuPy - Quantum circuit simulator for both CPU and GPU.
- QuSpin - Exact diagonalization and dynamics of arbitrary boson, fermion and spin many-body systems.
- QuTiP - User-friendly and efficient numerical simulations of a wide variety of open quantum systems.
- SeQuencing - Construct and simulate realistic quantum control sequences using QuTiP.
- SimulaQron - Application level simulator of a quantum network.
- SQUANCH - A distributed simulation framework for quantum networks and channels.
- QuNetSim- A quantum network simulation framework.
- The Walrus- Xanadu's library for simulating Gaussian Boson Sampling.
- QCGPU - High-performance GPU-accelerated quantum computer simulation outlined in this arXiv paper.
- RustQIP - Rust Quantum Computing library leveraging graph building to build efficient quantum circuit simulations.
- SwiftQuantumComputing - Quantum circuit simulator with a bit of genetic programming.
- C-to-D-Wave - Compile a very small subset of C to a D-Wave Hamiltonian function
- edif2qmasm - Compile Verilog, VHDL, and other hardware-description languages to a D-Wave Hamiltonian function
- QA Prolog - Compile a subset of Prolog to a D-Wave Hamiltonian function
- chimera_embedding - Algorithms to generate native-structured embeddings for Chimera graphs.
- dimod - Shared API for Ising and QUBO problems.
- dwavebinarycsp - Map constraint satisfaction problems with binary variables to binary quadratic models.
- dwave-cloud-client - Min. implementation of the REST interface to communicate with D-Wave's Solver API.
- dwave_neal - An implementation of a simulated annealing sampler.
- dwave_networkx - Exploration and analysis of network graphs.
- dwave-system - API for easily incorporating D-Wave quantum annealers as samplers in the Ocean software stack.
- embedding_utilities - Mapping samples between original and embedded graph.
- micro_client_sapi_dimod - Dimod wrapper for the D-Wave Micro Client.
- minorminer - Heuristic tool for minor graph embedding.
- penaltymodel - Utilities and interfaces for using penalty models.
- QMASM - Quantum macro assembler for D-Wave systems
Python, C & Matlab
- XACC VQE - Variational quantum eigensolver built on XACC for distributed, and shared memory systems.
- QuantumTomography.jl - Julia package to perform quantum state and process tomography.
- Adapt - Algorithms for adaptive refinement of measurements.
- Arline Quantum - Library with implementation of quantum gates and hardware, a part of Arline Benchmarks project.
- FermiLib - Software for analyzing fermionic quantum simulation algorithms with ProjectQ.
- Grove - Quantum algorithms implemented using Rigetti's pyQuil.
- OpenFermion - Compiling and analyzing quantum algorithm for quantum chemistry simulations.
- Paddle Quantum - Quantum machine learning platform to construct & train quantum neural networks, developed by Baidu.
- PennyLane - Library for quantum ML, automatic differentiation and optimization of hybrid computations.
- PyZFS - Package to compute zero-field-splitting tensors for molecules and spin quantum bits in semiconductors.
- QFog - Framework for analyzing both classical and quantum Bayesian Networks.
- Qiskit Aqua - Library of various quantum algorithm implemented with Qiskit.
- Qiskit Nature - Quantum Chemistry including ground state, excited states and dipole moment calculations.
- QPanda - QPanda is a quantum computing framework that can be used to build, run, and optimize quantum algorithms.
- Qiskit Tutorial - Jupyter notebook filled with tutorials for Qiskit.
- Quantum_Edward - Python tools for supervised learning by Quantum Neural Networks
- QuantumFlow - Quantum Algorithms Development Toolkit e.g. allowing for backpropagation with QAOA.
- Quantum TSP - Tutorials on solving Travelling Salesman Problem using quantum computing (QAOA).
- Tensorflow Quantum - Library for hybrid quantum-classical machine learning.
- VQF - Implementation of Variational Quantum Factoring algorithm (in pyQuil)
- WebMark - Web platform for benchmarking quantum computing algorithms
- XACC Examples - Example code using XACC for quantum computing.
- XACC QChem - QPU Benchmarks for Quantum Chemistry via XACC, Psi4 and OpenFermion.
- Quantum Katas - Programming exercises for learning Q# and quantum computing.
- QCOR - C++ language extension and associated compiler implementation for hybrid quantum-classical programming.
- ScaffCC - Compilation, analysis and optimization framework for the Scaffold quantum programming language.
- tweedledum - C++17 library for analysis, compilation/synthesis, and optimization of quantum circuits.
- UniversalQCompiler - Synthesis of isometries (including unitaries and state preparation), channels and POVMs.
- Arline Benchmarks - Automated benchmarking platform for quantum compilers, quantum hardware and quantum algorithms.
- BQSKit - Berkeley Quantum Synthesis Toolkit is an optimizing quantum compiler and related tool-set.
- Mitiq - Cross-platform, error-mitigating quantum compiler from Unitary Fund.
- PyZX - Python library for quantum circuit rewriting and optimisation using the ZX-calculus.
- QGL2 Compiler - Language compiler for imperative Quantum Gate Language (QGL).
- Qiskit Terra - Python library for quantum circuit rewriting and optimization (supported by IBM).
- Qubiter - Quantum compiler with Python wrapper for LAPACK's CS Decomposition to build a binary tree of matrices.
- quilc - Rigetti's optimizing Quil compiler.
- Blackbird - Open-source quantum instruction language currently used for Xanadu's photonic hardware.
- OpenQASM - Open-source quantum assembly language.
- QMASM - A quantum macro assembler for D-Wave's quantum annealers.
- Quil - An open hybrid quantum/classical instruction set currently used by Rigetti. Parser
- C3 - Open-loop, closed-loop and automated Control, Calibration and Characterization of quantum devices.
- Krotov - Python implementation of Krotov's method for quantum optimal control.
Quantum and post-quantum cryptography
- liboqs - C library for quantum-resistant cryptographic algorithms.
- openssh - OpenSSH with quantum-safe key exchange algorithms.
- openssl - OpenSSL with quantum-safe cryptographic algorithms.
- PQClean - Clean, portable, tested implementations of post-quantum cryptography.
- QRL - Quantum Resistant Ledger utilizing hash-based one-time merkle tree signature scheme instead of ECDSA.
Experimental quantum computing
- Qlab.jl - Generic lab tools in Julia.
- Qlab - Measurement and control software for superconducting qubits.
- ARTIQ - Next-generation control system for quantum information experiments.
- OLSQ - OpenQASM package to perform optimal layout synthesis for quantum computing.
- pyEPR - Automated Python module for the design and quantization of Josephson quantum circuits.
- PyRPL - Turn your RedPitaya into a powerful DSP device, suitable as a digital lockbox and measurement device in quantum optics.
- QCoDeS - Python-based data acquisition framework for quantum experiments.
- QFlow-lite - Machine Learning tools for autotuning quantum dot experiments.
- QGL - Domain-specific language embedded in Python for specifying pulse sequences.
- Qiskit Metal - Quantum hardware design and analysis.
- QTT - Quantum Technology Toolbox is a framework for the tuning and calibration of quantum dots and spin qubits.
- Quantify - Data acquisition platform focused on Quantum Computing and solid-state physics experiments.
- qupulse - Quantum computing pulse parametrization and sequencing framework (formerly qc-toolkit).
- scqubits - Simulating superconducting qubits, obtaining energy spectra, plotting energy levels and more.
- Entanglion - The world’s first open source quantum computing board game. For 2 players.
- Quantum Puzzle Generator - An educational puzzle game for Android and iOS.
- bloqit - A tiny qubit duel for your smart phone.
- QiskitBlocks - Game that teaches quantum computing using Qiskit in a Minetest block world.
- Quantum Awesomeness - Simple puzzles to benchmark various quantum processor.
- Quantum Battleships - Playing battleships with quantum measurements.
- Quantum Catsweeper - Quantum game loosely based on Minesweeper Flag.
- SudoQ - Sudoku solver that leverages a D-Wave Quantum Annealer.
- Quantum Music Composer for IBM Q - Compose and perform quantum music with IBM Q.
- Quantum Music Composer for Rigetti - Compose and perform quantum music with Rigetti's Forest.
- Quantum Game with Photons - Puzzle game in browser, with polarization, superposition, and measurement.
- feyn - Puzzle game for the browser in which you need to find the combination of gates that the qubits need to pass.
- QI - Toolkit for common quantum information functions.
- IBM Q bot - Bot for Slack and Telegram to monitor the load of IBM Q quantum computers.
- pulsemaker - A Python widget library for designing pulses and pulse schedules for quantum computing hardware.
- pyQuirk - A Python widget for Quirk to be used in Jupyter notebooks, JupyterLab, and the IPython kernel.
- qonduit - A Python library with visualization tools and workflows for quantum computing that utilize the best of what’s available.
- qprof -
gprof-compatible profiler for quantum programs.
- QRAND - A multiplatform and multiprotocol quantum random number generator for arbitrary probability distributions.
- QuantumGraphs - Grow and study random graphs by a continuous, randomly collapsing quantum walk.
- toqito - Framework to study problems pertaining to entanglement theory, nonlocal games, and other aspects of quantum information.
- Quil syntax highlighter - Syntax highlighter for PyCharm.
2+ years of inactivity. Feel free to reanimate, document and contribute to some of this work!
- BLACK-STONE - Specification and implementation of quantum common lisp, for gate-model quantum computers.
- libquantum - C library for quantum computing and quantum simulation.
- libQuantumJava - Crude translation from the C implementation of
libquantumto a Java version.
- jquil - Java library for quantum programming using Quil.
- pQCS - Parallel quantum circuit synthesis with optimal T-count.
- PyQLab - Library for instrument control and superconducting QIP experiments.
- PySimulator - Python with C++ backend simulator for superconducting circuits.
- QACG - Quantum Arithmetic Circuit Generator in Haskell.
- QCL - High level, hardware-agnostic programming language for quantum computers (syntax like C or Pascal).
- QCViewer - Visual quantum circuit design and simulation tool.
- QGL.jl - Performance orientated QGL compiler.
- Qlmp - Interpreter for the functional quantum programming language Qumin.
- QOCS - Quantum OCaml Circuit Simulator is a functional approach to simulating quantum gates.
- QuantumUtils - Tools for quantum control, simulation, channel representation conversion, and perturbations.
- Quantum Virtual Machine - Reference implementation of Rigetti's Quantum Virtual Machine.
- Quince - Node-based GUI that allows for graphical configuration of qubit experiments in Auspex.
- Quipper - Scalable functional programming language for quantum computing based on Quantum Lambda Calculus.
- QuSim - Ideal noise-free multi-qubit simulator written in 150 lines of code.
- QSEL - Quantum programming language putting entanglement and superposition front and center.
- sapi_dimod - Dimod wrapper for D-Wave's Solver API (SAPI).
- Squankum - Visual Java quantum simulator.
See the contribution guidelines.
To the extent possible under law, the Quantum Open Source Foundation has waived all copyright and related or neighboring rights to this work.