This point release fixes some regressions present in the v0.31.0 release. Additionally, containers and binaries for this version were built with Go 1.21.1.
- Fixed issue with SMTP server when multiple RCPT TO addresses were sent
- Added a missing column for the alerts feature that prevented switchover from working properly
- Fixed an issue that prevented adding webhooks to escalation policies when Slack is disabled
- Fixed search behavior when matching multiple words
4 PRs by @andrewbenington and @mastercactapus
- The Google Analytics feature was re-introduced and updated
- Dependency and driver updates
- New TypeScript conversion
6 PRs by @mastercactapus, @Forfold, @leyasalazar, and @KatieMSB
- dev: update sqlc to latest version (1.20.0) by @mastercactapus in #3244
- ui/deps: upgrade mui packages to latest by @Forfold in #3253
- dev: update all devtools to use pgx v5 by @mastercactapus in #3255
- ui/components: Convert NewUserSetUp to ts by @leyasalazar in #3242
- feat: add google analytics support by @KatieMSB in #3254
- db: switch driver to pgx5 by @mastercactapus in #3258
Full Changelog: v0.31.0...v0.31.1
Unveiling the latest GoAlert update with enhanced alert tracking, seamless system migration, and more. Experience greater control and efficiency in your alert management.
Alert Noise Tracking
Users may now mark alerts as "noisy" and see the overall counts and escalations on the Alert Metrics page.
2 PRs by @Forfold
Message Logs Frequency Graph
There is now a graph to visualize sent messages:
3 PRs by @Forfold and @mastercactapus
You can now migrate a live system from one DB server to another without downtime.
More information is available in the Switchover Guide.
3 PRs by @mastercactapus
Email Integration Keys via Built-In SMTP
Alerts created by email are now supported by pointing an MX record directly to GoAlert documentation available here.
Set/Update User Password
Users and admins are now able to update passwords from the UI
2 PRs by @allending313
Slack DM Contact Method
Users can now add Slack direct messages as a contact method on their profile when Slack is enabled.
9 PRs by @mastercactapus
- slack: add new contact method type for direct messages (experimental) by @mastercactapus in #2805
- slack: add UI for Slack DM contact method type (experimental) by @mastercactapus in #2815
- slack-dm: add compat module by @mastercactapus in #2821
- slack-dm: fix dm message updates by @mastercactapus in #2864
- slack: fix DM display and pending state by @mastercactapus in #2890
- slack: Add smoketest for Slack DM notificaitons by @mastercactapus in #3047
- fix slack dm status updates by @mastercactapus in #3060
- status updates: switch to per-contact-method behavior by @mastercactapus in #2824
- expflag: remove slack-dm flag by @mastercactapus in #3071
You can now set a global auto-close time for unacknowledged alerts under Maintenance on the Admin -> Config page.
Twilio Voice Customization
Configuring the Twilio voice name and language from the admin panel is now possible.
2 PRs by @AlaricWhitney
Webhooks can now be set as a destination for scheduled on-call notifications and directly on an escalation policy step! Additionally, the service name is now included for alerts.
8 PRs by @allending313, @andrewbenington, and @nataliekorzh
- feat: adding webhooks as a notification channel type by @nataliekorzh in #2809
- feat: add UI for chanWebhooks escalation policy step option by @nataliekorzh in #2871
- fix: webhook check on edit escalation policy step by @andrewbenington in #3040
- feat: webhook on call notification by @andrewbenington in #3036
- feat: add happy path integration test for on call notification webhook by @allending313 in #3155
- feat: add smoke test for on call notification webhooks by @allending313 in #3162
- feat: remove webhook exp flag by @allending313 in #3168
- feat: add service name/id field to webhook alerts by @allending313 in #3199
Escalate via Voice and SMS
You can now escalate an alert by voice and SMS.
Update Slack Usergroup
Slack usergroups can now automatically be updated by setting an on-call notification on a schedule!
10 PRs by @allending313, @andrewbenington, @Forfold, and @mastercactapus
- slack: allow saving user group ID to schedule notification rules by @mastercactapus in #2882
- slack: add user group queries to graphql schema by @mastercactapus in #2907
- slack: update user-group membership for configured schedules by @mastercactapus in #2926
- ui: add slack user groups to on call notifications by @Forfold in #2932
- migrate: move user group migration to latest by @mastercactapus in #3012
- slack: use usergroup handle instead of name by @mastercactapus in #3037
- feat: on call notification channel separation by @andrewbenington in #3046
- feat: add integration test for slack usergroup feat by @allending313 in #3129
- feat: add happy path smoke test for slack user groups by @allending313 in #3137
- chore: remove slack usergroup exp flag by @allending313 in #3144
Generic Alert API
It is now possible to get the alert and service ID when creating an alert via a Generic API key by setting the
Accept header to
1 PR by @sudhabindu-apm
Backend & API
We hardened security, expanded maintenance mode, and fixed some cleanup issues.
6 PRs by @cmarquis, @mastercactapus, and @theautoroboto
- user/cm: cleanup unverified contact methods by @cmarquis in #2764
- auth: set SameSite to strict on session cookie by @mastercactapus in #3111
- auth: Validate redir on return from auth by @mastercactapus in #3114
- auth: use samesite=lax for oauth cookies by @mastercactapus in #3158
- feat: extending maintenance allowance through API by @theautoroboto in #3160
- twilio: always use messaging SID if set by @mastercactapus in #3165
We moved the add buttons on wide-screen devices from a floating-action button to a named button at the top to reduce confusion for new users.
7 PRs by @Forfold
- ui: move profile add buttons ...
Minor release with bug and stability fixes for peak season.
- This release is built with Go 1.19.3
- You can now search by integration key on the Services list page (by @KatieMSB in #2587)
- The admin Message Log is now paginated, fixing a long-standing issue where it was unusable with large numbers of recent messages (by @Forfold in #2644)
- ui: fix drag and drop in FlatList while in strict mode by @Forfold in #2413
- admin: fix breadcrumb and page title formatting by @mastercactapus in #2632
- GraphQL: serviceID should be optional by @theautoroboto in #2640
- heartbeat-ui: force refetch of service info (incl. hb list) on create by @mastercactapus in #2642
- ui/wizard: fix wizard character limit by @tony-tvu in #2515
- testing: add Fuzz tests by @mastercactapus in #2664
- admin: add pagination to message logs query by @Forfold in #2644
- dev: playwright mvp by @mastercactapus in #2608
- dev: use podman manifest for container build by @mastercactapus in #2624
- feat: Added help and cleaned up makefile by @AlaricWhitney in #2648
- dev: generate outgoing messages by @mastercactapus in #2649
- ui/lists: use component type for create dialogs by @tony-tvu in #2467
- ui/services: convert ServiceDetails to ts by @tony-tvu in #2572
- ui/services: convert ServiceDeleteDialog to ts by @tony-tvu in #2566
- ui/services: convert IntegrationKeyDeleteDialog to ts by @tony-tvu in #2569
- ui/services: convert IntegrationKeyCreateDialog & IntegrationKeyList to ts by @tony-tvu in #2568
Full Changelog: v0.30.0...v0.30.1
This version has many improvements and features that have been in the works for a while for users, admins, and developers!
In addition to the binary release below, this release is also available in container image form:
Note to Admins: Public URL Configuration is Changing
First and foremost, no breaking changes. Without configuration updates, the new version should behave like the old. However, the global Public URL config is now deprecated.
We added a new
--public-url flag (or
GOALERT_PUBLIC_URL env var), which is now the preferred way to configure the public address for things like auth, Twilio/Slack callbacks, SMS URLs, and redirects. You should test and update your environments accordingly. Most users can simply start GoAlert with
--public-url set to their current Public URL config value; additional notes are below under "Migration Notes"
Things of note:
- GoAlert will start without the new flag set and fall back to the old behavior. Upgrading to
0.30.0should be as safe as all other versions with no breaking/behavioral change without explicit opt-in.
- The new flag replaces all uses of Public URL (in config under General), Referrer URLs (in config under Auth), and the
--http-prefixflag. Using it will cause said deprecated settings to be ignored.
This was done to simplify fragile code that caused problems, particularly with various reverse-proxy setups and confusion around deployments behind a route prefix. Redirects and validation no longer use the host header to guess the environment and will always assume it is available at the configured URL.
- If you have multiple required Auth Referrer URLs, run separate instances connected to the same DB, one for each URL.
- If you are using
--http-prefix, just ensure the same prefix is set as the path of your
A long time coming, we finally added some color to the application and dark-mode support! Changing the color for yourself from the new settings popover is now possible (can be useful for those that use multiple environments).
- Adds a Current User Avatar to the top app bar. (#2212)
- Adds a button for dark-mode to the user profile. (#2174)
- Adds a color picker to the Theme Mode (now renamed to Appearance) ButtonGroup in the Settings Popover. (#2393)
Slack Account Linking
Slack account linking is finally supported without running the
goalert-slack-email-sync tool. Linking allows a user to close or acknowledge an alert from Slack that previously needed to be maintained by an admin.
When a user attempts to interact with an alert for the first time in Slack, a private message will prompt them to link their account. After confirming in GoAlert, their initial action will be taken (e.g., close or ack), and their account will remain linked for future interactions.
Note: in response to feedback, we've updated the Slack notifier to only include the summary in messages, reducing channel noise.
- Updates the Slack notification sender to only include the summary in the message payload. (#2478)
- Adds the ability to link accounts directly from Slack in response to user interaction (#2564)
We've made it possible to put a service in a temporary maintenance mode, which will still allow alerts to be created/acknowledged/closed but prevents escalations (including the first) so your phone isn't going off while you're working to fix an issue :)
- Adds maintenance mode option to snooze alert notifications (#2512)
Alert Metrics for Services
We've added a metrics page for services so you can visualize alert counts, escalations, and time to acknowledge and close. It also allows you to export up to one year of alert data (including timing information) as a CSV.
You can find Alert Metrics under Quick Links on your service details page.
- Adds Alert Metrics dashboard feature accessible from a Service Details quick link. (#2085)
- Introduces a new engine module for creating and populating a new
- Styles the alert metrics graph using our MUI theme and MUI Paper, Typography elements for the graph's tooltip. (#2323)
- Adds a new chart for visualizing time to acknowledge and time to close averages for daily alerts. (#2347)
- Moves graph and CSV processing to a web worker when supported. (#2465)
- Adds escalated alert count to the metrics graph and the information to the table and CSV export. (#2430)
- Adds new
daily_alert_metricstable that aggregates metrics from
alertsquery as the source of truth. Additionally,
closedAtis added to the table and CSV export. (#2448)
- Use autosizer for rechart graphs (#2529)
- Adds loading status to web worker (#2542)
Grafana Alerting is now supported, along with support for images!
ImageURLto alert details, when available, for Grafana-generated alerts. (#2468)
- Adds support for Grafana 8.x webhooks. (#2087)
Admin: Message Logs
A new Message Logs page allows admins to view metadata about recently sent notifications.
Outgoing Logsview from the Admin page. (#2061)
debugMessagesquery that an admin can use to retrieve a list of recent messages from the
Admin: Alert Counts Visualization
The new Alert Counts page will help admins find "busy" services and correlate high-alert events when necessary.
- Adds records to the
alert_logstable when running
make regendb. (#2150)
resetdbto include randomly generated escalation logs. (#2430)
- Adds admin Alert Counts page (#2509)
Admin: Twilio Key Rotation
It is now possible to do a smooth key rotation with Twilio:
- Generate secondary auth token
- Set secondary as auth token
- Set primary as alt. auth token
- promote secondary to primary
- clear alt auth token
- Add alternate auth token for use during key rotation (#2588)
Developer Experience Improvements
There is now a Dev link in the main navigation menu when starting in development mode (i.e.,
make start), giving quick access to tools and configuration for local development. In addition, there were several process improvements and paid tech debt with this release, such as a huge speed improvement with the switch to
Some of these tools have been available and running with
make start but the new dashboard will hopefully make it a lot easier to discover and use the bundled tools!
- Adds "Dev" page in dev mode (#2555)
runproctool, a simpler alternative to
- Fixes some noise issues in the
make startlog output. (#2172)
- Adds the ability to manipulate time within the confines of a Postgres database. (#2438)
build-envimage to have the necessary dependencies to run Cypress tests, allowing all build steps to be run in the same container. (#2400)
- Adds a new tool,
slowproxythat can simulate network latency, jitter, and throughput constraints for testing. (#2307)
- Replaces webpack with esbuild for building app.js. (#2314)
- Replaces the use of
webpack-dev-serverand the required proxy with a method that will serve files from the local filesystem or in memory. (#2246)
- Removes old GraphQL code that has been deprecated/unmaintained for the past few releases. (#2051)
- Allow setting PUBLIC_URL in dev (#2553)
- Add testing section and move smoketests to
- Fixes an issue where invalid int. keys returned 400 instead of 401 (#2546)
--public-urlflag and strictly validate URLs (#2421)
- Some deadlock issues around rotations were fixed by introducing rather aggressive locks. (#2491)
- Fix for user deletion causing rotation advancement. (#2375)
- Increase maximum alert summary length to
1 KiB. (#2073)
- Adds alert summary to status update messages. (#2074)
- Increase the calendar subscription window of calculated shifts from 1 month to 1 year. (#2388)
- Removes unmaintained tracing code and dependencies. (#2420)
- Replaces the use of
- Adds support for
application/jsonin incoming webhook. (#2161)
- Fixes an issue preventing switchover (#2552)
- Fix/cleanup for Go 1.19 (#2563)
make startissue when restarting postgres (#2580)
- Allow setting
make regendbto test various data sizes (#2580)
- Fixed first-startup race conditions, as well as quick shutdown ones (#2580)
speedbumpas a devtool to replace
- Fixed a display bug with contact method verification when using message SIDs (#2580)
- Update voice code to use
- Update SMS country-c...
This release includes several new features in addition to general maintenance and bug fixes.
- The Application Name (configured in GoAlert admin dashboard) now appears in notifications where applicable. (#1881)
- Text fields now use the Material UI
OutlinedInputstyle in anticipation of MUIv5.
- Schedule calendars now display events for overrides. (#1901)
- If an alert has been in a pending state for more than 15 seconds, a notice is displayed on the Alert Details page. (#1779)
- Users can favorite other users such that they appear first in lists, much like Schedules or Services. (#1864)
- A general "OVERRIDE" button has replaced the "TEMP SCHED" button located in the Schedule calendar toolbar. To create a Temporary Schedule, click this and select the Temporary Schedule option. (#1857)
- The Temporary Schedules dialog has been consolidated into a single step. (#1912)
- An error is now rendered when trying to create a Temporary Schedule that has gaps in coverage. This error may be bypassed by checking a confirmation checkbox. (#1891)
- Solved an issue in which coverage gap warning notices were rendered erroneously.
- Outgoing messages can now be sent using a Messaging Service SID. To enable, set the Twilio Messaging Service SID field in the GoAlert admin dashboard. (#1899)
- The voice menu experience has been improved to have better phrasing, slower speaking, and other minor fixes. (#1918)
- Alert messages render a colored status bar to indicate whether the alert is unacknowledged, acknowledged, or closed. (#2004)
- Enable "Interactive Messages" from the GoAlert admin dashboard to have alert messages include a button for acknowledging, escalating, or closing the alert. (#2014)
- The Slack App manifest has been updated to include a
users:read.emailpermission scope. See the instructions on the Getting Started page for how to configure a Slack App using the generated manifest. (#2025)
- Slack users and GoAlert users can now be linked by inserting records into the
auth_subjectstable. This allows for Slack mentions e.g. in On-Call Notifications and interactive messages.
- A new
debugMessageStatusquery provides the state of a message for a given provider message ID. (#1917)
- An issue with searching for non-English characters was fixed. (#1951)
- Message bundling is enabled by default. (#1942)
- Fixed a UI navigation issue when using an HTTP path prefix. (#1976)
This release includes several new features in addition to general maintenance and bug fixes.
- The config page now has a "Create New Slack App" button that will generate a Slack app manifest pre-filled with GoAlert config
- Alert notifications after the first will be broadcast to the channel from a thread reply (#1566)
- Alerts will now have status updates posted in-thread to the original notification message (#1785)
Webhook as a Contact Method
Users may now add webhooks as contact methods. They can be used similarly to email, SMS, and voice. More information can be found under "Using Webhooks" under
/docs within the GoAlert application.
Must be enabled in the Admin -> Config page.
User Management UI
Based on feedback in our community slack channel, we implemented some in-app user management solutions:
- Admins can create a user from the user list (#1536)
- Admins can edit a user's role from the user profile (#1506)
- Admins can delete a user from the user profile (#1493)
A new experimental gRPC API server is now included (disabled by default).
--listen-sysapi string (Experimental) Listen address:port for the system API (gRPC). --sysapi-ca-file string (Experimental) Specifies a path to a PEM-encoded certificate(s) to authorize connections from plugin services. --sysapi-cert-file string (Experimental) Specifies a path to a PEM-encoded certificate to use when connecting to plugin services. --sysapi-key-file string (Experimental) Specifies a path to a PEM-encoded private key file use when connecting to plugin services.
Currently supported API methods are
DeleteUser allowing an external tool to enumerate and delete/cleanup users. (e.g., compare OIDC users with an Active Directory server).
Protobuf definition and certificate information can be found under
- Application Name can now be set to change the page title, in the future this will be applied to messaging as well (like SMS) (#1803)
- Escalation policies can now be favorited (#1567)
- Rotations in which a user participates more than once can now be re-ordered safely (#1478)
- GraphQL v1 endpoint is now disabled by default (#1584)
- Removed a race condition that allowed for duplicate overrides (#1594)
- Accessibility: screen reader will no longer stutter on "Quick Links" (#1618)
- Safari: fixed an issue rendering a user's contact method list (#1500)
- Fixed an issue where searching by phone number could return duplicate user results (#1646)
- Fixed an issue with the service label dialog form validation (#1635)
- Querying for an integration key that doesn't exist would return an "unexpected error". It now returns null (#1640)
- Many React class components converted to hooks
- Began removing Material UI v4 deprecated props in anticipation of v5
This release has a lot of long-anticipated awesome new features and improvements! Most of the work of this release was done under the covers to enable these as well as new features currently in the pipeline.
Temporary schedules allow replacing the entire on-call schedule for a fixed timeframe. It should help situations where a team requires fine-grained control of on-call responsibility for a few days (e.g. peak week).
Email (SMTP) as an User Contact Method
Prioritize Schedules on Escalation Policies
Schedules now appear at the top of the Edit Step dialog. Many users had trouble with overrides before realizing a rotation was used instead of schedule. This change was found to encourage users to use schedules (instead of rotations) when configuring a policy.
You can now enable Prometheus metrics at startup. This allows for monitoring some of the internals and health of GoAlert.
To enable, set the
--listen-prometheus flag or the
GOALERT_LISTEN_PROMETHEUS environment variable.
A new endpoint at
<listen_address>/metrics will include:
- Total number of created alerts
- Number of in-flight HTTP server requests
- Total number of requests by status code
- Duration of outgoing HTTP requests
- Number of active outgoing HTTP requests
- Number of engine cycles
- Engine cycle duration by module
- GraphQL resolver method statistics
- Sent notifications by contact method type and message type
- Received response count by destination and response (e.g. ack, close, stop, start)
Contact Method Throttling
GoAlert now implements bucketed throttling of notifications, per contact method. This is to avoid spamming devices due to misconfiguration or a noisy/broken healthcheck.
For reference, new rules are:
|Message Type||Contact Method Type||Rules|
|All||All||1 per minute|
|Status||All||1 per 3 minutes
3 per 20 minutes (burst)
8 per 2 hours
|Alert||SMS||5 per 15 minutes (burst)
11 per 1 hour
21 per 3 hours
|Alert||Voice||3 per 15 minutes (burst)
7 per 1 hour
15 per 3 hours
- Updated GoAlert in-app documentation at
/docs: Now supports rendering multiple markdown documents.
- ui/schedules: monthly views are fixed to include the correct out-of-bounds shifts when viewing the schedule calendar.
- ui/forms: fixed an issue where the schedule rule weekday filter couldn't be edited
- Golang 1.15.3 -> 1.16.4
- Postgres 11 -> 13
- Typescript 3.9.7 -> 4.0.3
- Apollo 3.1.5 -> 3.3.15
- Webpack 4.44.2 to 5.13.0
This release has a lot of bug fixes, cool new features, and hardening in prep for the peak season!
New Version Toast
A version check has now been added to GoAlert's UI that will display a persistent snackbar notification when a new version is detected.
Prometheus Alertmanager Support
User Session Management
Users may now manage active login sessions from the profile page, including the ability to easily end/cleanup ones no longer used.
(Admin note: Initial last access time will start as the time of your deployment when introducing this feature.)
Full timestamps on Alerts List Page
A toggle was added to the alerts list filter to switch between displaying the duration since created or the full timestamp when created.
Phone Number in Use Enhancement
When adding a new contact method with a number that is already in-use, users will now have more helpful messaging with a link to the existing users' profile.
Alert Log Message Status
The alert log status entries will now indicate failures for things like provider "Twilio" is disabled.
Support for Warnings/Notices
A new notices API has been added within the GraphQL schema for a Notice. Currently, a notice will be displayed if an escalation policy is unused, in the future, this will be expanded to other common issues.
Test Message Delivery Status
A new status dialog has been added that displays real-time delivery details and the status of test notifications.
Other Improvements/ Bug Fixes:
- Updated to Go 1.15.3, which adds the ability to embed TZ information as well as new vet rules
- Updated Cypress to 5.5.0, which adds built-in test retries
- User session cleanup - user sessions greater than 30 days are removed from the database
- Arm Support was added, making it possible to build and publish multi-platform docker images for GoAlert.
- Fix for an issue with RequireConfig where integration keys using Mailgun were always display as disabled, even if Mailgun is enabled.
- Address validation fix for mailgun invalid recipient address would cause a 500 response instead of expected 406.
- Updated gqlgen to 0.13.0 and error handling (e.g. validation error responses fixed)
goimportscommand in Makefile so that using go run ... will automatically pull the tool, as well as using the correct version, rather than requiring the user to install it manually.
- Updated Makefile and Dockerfile to use embedded TZ data instead of relying on the system package. This was to resolve an issue where DST values were no longer calculated properly in TZ versions 2020b onwards (e.g. latest in the alpine build). This should help to ensure that binaries and container images are more consistent with regard to calculated times.
- Added a section of recommended tools for development to the docs.
- Updated the admin config page to use accordions for the individual sections.
- Extended the alerts query by adding fields to AlertSearchOptions that allows for querying alerts by date.
- Bug fix for Schedules > Shifts > Filter > Time Limit > Specify, now has the capability to backspace numerical values along with a conditional check defaulting users input values between 1-30 appropriately.
This release primarily focused on stability & refactor work, however there have been a number of welcome improvements and helpful new features too!
/v1 endpoints have been deprecated for awhile, there is now a switch in the admin config to allow disabling the old
/v1/graphql endpoint. It will be disabled by default in a future version, and removed completely in a yet further version.
On wide displays, links have been moved to the side to better use available screen space.
Carrier Lookup Tool
There is now a
Toolbox page under Admin with a tool that will allow looking up carrier information about a phone number by an admin.
This is part of a collection of tools added to handle infrequent, but problematic, carrier filtering of SMS messages.
Send SMS Tool
The Send SMS tool can be used to test sending messages from alternate numbers, with or without URLs, etc.. in order to detect if carrier filtering is taking place, and available workarounds (like disabling URLs in SMS messages, or using an alternate From number).
From Number Override
Admins now have the ability to override the From number for SMS messages per-carrier. This is helpful in the case that a specific carrier is blocking SMS message delivery and can be used as a temporary workaround without a new deployment or code change.
System Limits Configuration
A new admin page was added to allow configuring and viewing current system limits.
Live Alert Log Updates
The alert log has been enhanced to show current status of message delivery.
Issues like failures to send, or disabled contact methods, will also show up in the log.
Additionally, things like having nobody on call, or users without immediate rules, will be reflected in the log.
It is now possible for users to subscribe to their own shifts via a calendar subscription. This allows viewing when you're on call for a schedule from apps like Google Calendar or iCalendar
Subscriptions may be accessed from your Profile page, additionally they can be created from any schedule's details page.
The create alert dialog has been reworked allowing for creating identical alerts across multiple services. This is intended to help operations teams that may need to notify multiple teams about a wide-impact incident.
- Added a new
sendittool that is similar to
ngrokthat can be self hosted.
postgresql://support to the
- The alerts list will now show any alerts you have been notified for, in addition to favorite services.
- All valid SMS START/STOP commands are now handled appropriately and logged.
- Alert log timestamps should now render in the same format as the rest of the application.
- GoAlert can now be run with a URL path prefix.
- Quicker details page loading from list pages.
- Data refetch -- fixed a lot of issues with page data being out-of-date after editing.
- Lots of refactor/stabilization work.
- Fixed behavior of search select clearing.
- Fixed various gotchas in the switchover shell code.
This hotfix release fixes a critical bug in the rotation/schedule calculation code that could cause an infinite loop (more context here).
Additionally, when trying to create an override that conflicts with an existing one, users will now receive a descriptive error, indicating the conflicting user, instead of a generic "unexpected error" message.