Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Build RIOT on Windows OS
This page documents a brief description about building RIOT on Windows OS. There is no special build trick for RIOT so default build system settings for arm cross compilers will be described for Windows Operating Systems.
1- Installing ARM GCC Toolchain
Download installer from here and start the installation.
Please select a path (Destination Folder) without spaces: e.g. "C:/armgcc"
Select "Add path to environment variable"
2- Installing MinGW and MSYS
- Download MINGW from here and start installation. Please select short paths without spaces for MinGW directory: e.g. c:\MinGW
- Select following items to install in MinGW Setup : mingw32-base, mingw32-gcc-g++, msys-base
and also install Mintty for terminal emulation under "All Packages" : msys-mintty
and now click "Apply Changes" under "Installation" Menu.
- Find mintty under "C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin" and create a Desktop shortcut. And right click on the desktop shortcut, select "Properties" and change target to "C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin\mintty.exe /bin/bash -l"
- Open MINTTY by clicking desktop shortcut and install updates by following command : mingw-get update
- Install also following items in MINTTY by "mingw-get install" command: msys-wget, msys-zlib, msys-unzip, msys-mktemp
- Add following paths to Environment Variables : "C:\MinGW\bin", "C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin"
3- Build environment is ready now. Build your RIOT application.
- On some platforms RIOT uses OpenOCD for flashing the nodes. Although, OpenOCD does not support Windows officially, they do provide a link to some Windows binaries of their flashing tool. You can find the link at the OpenOCD homepage.